Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson W800

• 06-08-2005 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,474 ✭✭✭✭

There appears to be a approx £100 price differential beween these two phones, but cannot for the life of me see why.

Anyone know what is better about the W800i over the K750i that justifies the extra ? (the 800i does come with 512mb as standard but dont think this justifies the price differential by any means)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

The W800i comes in cool packaging,
    has the 512MB MSPD card (k750i 64MB MSPD Card),
    has newer/better firmware proper mp3 player,
    flight mode, walkman branded
    better headfones with 3.5mm jack and a better build quality for the fone
    Plus it comes with disk2phone ripping software.
    only really worth about €50- €75 in difference IMO.
    but so far the price difference is €300 according to expansys.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,474 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

This does appear to be the dogs gonad's of phones, anyone have idea of best prices in euros for here in Ireland ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

First of all the phone aint officaly released till the 12th of august (www.sonyericsson.com for the count down) so wait for a more realistic price then.
    The CPW in the square told me it wont be out for a few months.
    The CPW in England are selling it for around €550 and expansys.ie are selling it for €660
    So my advice wait till after the 12th before you buy cause you will just be payin more than you should for the fone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,160 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

1) You can flash the k750i to w800i firmware

2) as soon as the case is available you will be able to change the k750i one to a w800

3) You can buy the mem card

4) if you want either just get the k750i now and change it to a w800i when your bored ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

read about the FW but didn't know about the case.
    so will just be missing the earphone connection and the walkman only mode?
    i.e you can go into it via menus with new FW but it set by buttons that don't do anything on the k750i? does anyone know this for sure?
    If i was them I wouldn't let the FW go on a 750 and they can stop it just by
    setting the id to do so.
    can you change sony cases?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,160 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

with the fw you get the 'flight mode' or walkman only mode, they are the same phone really

changing se cases slightly harder than a nokia but all you need is a t6 screwdriver and about 30 minutes :)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

sounds a bit more than slightly harder if it takes 60 times as long!!
    but thanks for the info, am about to go off to howard and expansys forums
    to find out more...

assumed there would be extra buttons on the side of the W800 or something
    for 'flight only/walkman' mode but sounds like there isn't.

just need it to come out on vodafone so I can use my upgrade I have had
    for the last year and a half, no gonna buy sim free again and regret it 3 months
    later...

The w800i is lookin like its going to cost an arm and a leg. So im considering buying a K750i and converting it to a W800i. Is there any one out there that knows where i can get the firmware flashed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

TGIF!

Anyway. Just noticed the new W800i on expansys.ie for €659 or €574 HK warranty (??) on preorder. Thats a bit insane isn't it? Its only the K750 with a memory stick, slightly different firmware and headphones etc. On the other hand, Nomatica.ie says it has it for €453, which seems good.

Who's telling fibs here? I'm tempted, but only at €453... Anything over 500 would be cheeky.

Pretty good review at Mobile Burn by the way.

Its €581 in the SE Eshop so i wreckon the of above €500 price will be for a lot of shops.

dont expect to see this fone on the high street anytime soon no where i checked even knew about it let alone its release date.

So far nomatica seems to have the best price followed by pixmania and the mobilefly(comes with 2 512 memory cards) all are under €500 every where else has it for >€500

You could buy a K750i from O2 for €369 Sim free and convert it into a W800i for well under €100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You are getting a 1GB memory card with that i think... Two 512MB ones would be a plain nuisance..

I know but the website says 2 x 512mb mem cards so use one in your fone and 1 in digi cam if a sony or use second for backing up certain info on the fone its up to you

Any one got this phone yet, any one want to get it for me :D .
    Its lookin like im going to have to wait a few weeks before i can get it

The initial €500+ price seems to be dropping so it might be a good thing to wait a few more weeks

Advertisement