Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Women in fast/expensive cars and Guys.

Options
  • 06-08-2005 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

Quick question on the radio here;
    Are single guys intimidated (not dated) by single women that drive expensive, sport & fast cars.? Particularly if yours if of lesser pedigree.

And if you are dating a woman with such a car, do you insist on driving it, or do you let her do all the driving, or are you miffed if she insists on driving it always.

What are your thoughts on the subject.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

Why would you be intimidated by them. Sure they cant even drive them. :(
    The most annoying thing on the road has to be women in fast/sporty cars that havent a clue how to drive the fookin things. Nothing worse than sitting behind a hyundai coupe doing 45-50mph on a national road, and when you bother to look its a woman no doubt.

Some dozy bitch pulled out in front of me in an Fto the other day from a parking spot, she couldnt see if anything was coming or not (parked against the run of traffic on the right hand side of street) so just pulled straight out and hadnt a clue how to judge the size of her car. Then they`re on the radio ****eing on about how great drivers they are. :rolleyes:

Or the classic example is the dopey female in the sporty car on her fone, oblivious to the tailback behind them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The thoughts of Alf "Boardsee" Garnet there.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

boardsee wrote:
    Why would you be intimidated by them. Sure they cant even drive them. :(
    The most annoying thing on the road has to be women in fast/sporty cars that havent a clue how to drive the fookin things. Nothing worse than sitting behind a hyundai coupe doing 45-50mph on a national road, and when you bother to look its a woman no doubt.

Some dozy bitch pulled out in front of me in an Fto the other day from a parking spot, she couldnt see if anything was coming or not (parked against the run of traffic on the right hand side of street) so just pulled straight out and hadnt a clue how to judge the size of her car. Then they`re on the radio ****eing on about how great drivers they are. :rolleyes:

Or the classic example is the dopey female in the sporty car on her fone, oblivious to the tailback behind them. :)

Id drive like a dense bi*ch just to bug people like you :rolleyes: oh ''women'' big generalisation coming here guys , jesus dont get out much do ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Says he with 5,951 posts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

He's a she
    I react the same way to women in fancy cars as to men in fancy cars - I think they're ****. Or whatever the female equivalent is.
    I would never insist on driving someone else's car, or expect to for that matter. (Even if I had a licence :) ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

AMurphy wrote:
    And if you are dating a woman with such a car, do you insist on driving it

That's hilarious - a bloke so insecure that he has to be let drive his girlfriend's car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I react the same way to women in fancy cars as to men in fancy cars - I think they're ****

Hmmm. Why is someone a wanker because they have a good car, or a better car than someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I rarely see a woman driving a powerful / fancy car in Ireland. In fact I don't recall ever seeing a woman drive a Ferrari / Lambo etc. Closest I get is either something like a Range Rover or a cabrio
    pwd wrote:
    I react the same way to women in fancy cars as to men in fancy cars - I think they're ****

You're a pathetic begrudger, wanting us all to drive a Lada Riva for sure :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Hey pwd, check my sig - you must think im a grade A wancker so.
    I wonder what your basis for comparison is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I saw a woman driving what looked to my eyes like a Bentley Coupe today.
    Don't bother me in the slightest what people drive , saw a guy in Ferrari the last day driving and talking on his mobile and wondered why he couldn't afford the handsfree, then thought maybe it was a rental....

• Advertisement

he probably only takes it out some weekends, what makes you think he doesnt own it ffs - begrudgery???
    Always in this country - begrudgery.
    I got spat at b4 in one of my cars.
    Not that im having a go at you haughey.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I couldn't care less what people (men OR women) drive - once they drive properly.

Agreed. well said silvera

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Kersh wrote:
    he probably only takes it out some weekends, what makes you think he doesnt own it ffs - begrudgery???
    Always in this country - begrudgery.
    I got spat at b4 in one of my cars.
    Not that im having a go at you haughey.. ;)
    I don't begrudge him having a Ferrari in the slightest, I was just curious as to why someone who has spent the price of a house on a car would try to drive illegally with a phone clamped to his ear with one hand?
    Surely Ferrari offer one as an option?

depends on the type of ferrari. Im getting one soon, and I will not be putting hands free in it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Kersh has the right idea ............ a Ferrari's engine is too sweet a sound to be interupted by a mobile!
    (i.e. switch it off when driving:))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

unkel wrote:
    I rarely see a woman driving a powerful / fancy car in Ireland. In fact I don't recall ever seeing a woman drive a Ferrari / Lambo etc. Closest I get is either something like a Range Rover or a cabrio

In the past three weeks or so I've seen a woman driving a new 997 (northern reg, she was late 20's early 30's and more than a little attractive) and an SL55 AMG (galway reg, early-mid 40's, dignified), perhaps not quite in the supercar bracket, but two serious pieces of kit all the same.

Personally I wouldn't be intimidated by a woman who had an expensive, sport or fast car (note boardsee, that a Hyundai coupe does not fall under any of these categories), but would in fact respect her taste, as long as it wasn't a Lexus.

Sure I'd like to drive it once in a while but wouldn't have any qualms about being chauffered around the majority of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Gatster wrote:
    Hmmm. Why is someone a wanker because they have a good car, or a better car than someone else?

Because people with "good" cars are generally desperately insecure.

Notice the flash car is normally a flash colour as well - they need attention.

What puzzles me more is the young 20-somethings in their 40k+ cars. Just WHERE THE **** are they getting the money??? Seriously.

:)

unkel, having 4 different languages in your posts doesn't make you seem pretentious in the least.

Kersh: Why do you assume it was your car that made people want to spit at you?

Funny to get reactions to what I thought was obviously a facetious remark. I do find fancy cars rather vulgar though.

impr0v wrote:
    Personally I wouldn't be intimidated by a woman who had an expensive, sport or fast car ... but would in fact respect her taste, as long as it wasn't a Lexus

I've nought to add to that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I see lots of women in fast/expensive cars. Is that fast or expensive, or fast and expensive? Seen quite a few 911's, M3's and Merc SL's. Usually new cars. However theres one I remember distinctly. When I was at Goodwood earlier festival of Speed earlier in the year. We took a spin down to the sea front. On the way, a girl/woman went by in the other direction driving an Enzo. :cool:

I don't have a problem with it, except I'd love to get some career advice from them! What annoys me is people who have a problem with people liking sports cars etc. Everyone has their own interests, which they indulge in. It could be holidays, music, fashion, reading, collecting stamps, sports whatever. Even hanging around on internet forums. Liking cars is no different. If you have a problem with it, then the problem lies with you, not the other way around. :rolleyes:

pwd wrote:
    unkel, having 4 different languages in your posts doesn't make you seem pretentious in the least

Rot op, eikel! Sommige mensen besteden hun hard verdiende geld aan mooie autos. Wat voor lamme kutlul ben jij om het die mensen te misgunnen?

Calling me obscene things in Dutch for making posts I've already pointed out are intended to be taken humourously is rather pathetic.

kutlul means "c'unt-dick" roughly for anyone who is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Wow I'm sensing a lot of tension here.
    In my humble opinion, I would never begrudge anyone a nice car ( I don't like the word flash).
    If a Ferrari drives past me, which they do with ever more frequency these days, I think wow, a Ferrari excellent nice to see one in the flesh.
    You don't need tons of money to own an oustanding car, just some imagination and a little money, and the urge not to just rush out and buy an 05 Mondeo .
    With a little research and some taste you can own some lovley cars, al be they old.
    One particular car I have that gets "flash git remarks" is 25 years old cost me 1500 quid and more hours under it than driving it , whats flash about that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

pwd wrote:
    ...Funny to get reactions to what I thought was obviously a facetious remark. I do find fancy cars rather vulgar though.

Yes, reaction to facetious comments, how surprising. :rolleyes:

@pwd: truce offer:

I won't post anything Dutch on any thread you start as long as you rightfully denounce the green eyed begrudging monsterous demon within yourself. Some challenge that would be indeed!

Repeat after me: That nice car is owned by someone who rightfully deserves to own that car.Repeat after me: That nice car is owned by someone who rightfully deserves to own that car.Repeat after me: That nice car is owned by someone who rightfully deserves to own that car.Repeat after me: That nice car is owned by someone who rightfully deserves to own that car.Repeat after me: That nice car is owned by someone who rightfully deserves to own that car.Repeat after me: That nice car is owned by someone who rightfully deserves to own that car.Repeat after me: That nice car is owned by someone who rightfully deserves to own that car.Repeat after me: That nice car is owned by someone who rightfully deserves to own that car.Repeat after me: That nice car is owned by someone who rightfully deserves to own that car.Repeat after me: That nice car is owned by someone who rightfully deserves to own that car.Repeat after me: That nice car is owned by someone who rightfully deserves to own that car.Repeat after me: That nice car is owned by someone who rightfully deserves to own that car.

Well I wrote a fairly long response and lost it because I submitted it during the backup.

Essentially:

I don't begrudge people in fancy cars and never suggested I did, you simply assumed this.

I find expensive cars vulgar and showy. Some people who buy them do so to project an image about themselves. Often they cannot really afford them and have them at the expense of financial security, or even financial independence. It is very much nouveau-riche sort of behaviour. It lacks restraint or class.

Unless you can really afford it, it is irresponsible to spend a lot of money on a new car which will depreciate badly, and cost a lot to run. Most of the people I know who have them are fulfill the description in the previous paragraph. 30 year olds who live with their parents because they'd rather show off than be independent. Those sorts.

The successful people I know who drive expensive cars have some way of getting and running them at a reduced cost to justify it, or are so rich they don't need to consider the costs involved. Most of the successful people I know have older cars, or no car at all.

Ok this post is longer than the one I deleted and rather less well-written, but I'm getting tired.

Feel free to post in Dutch as much as you want, and to use these colourful expressions. What does lamme mean anyway?

Anyway to get back on topic a bit, I think that women are less likely to go for fancy cars. it is more of a male thing. It is law in this country that you need a four-wheel drive car (or is it a landrover even?) to pull a horse box, so I suspect that a lot of the landrovers being driven by women could to be attributed to this fact.
    The female equivalent of the irresponsible spending by some men on cars, is to usually to spend a lot of money on clothes and shoes. It is also disgusting. I found myself repulsed by a lady I had previously been quite attracted to after discovering that she had spent a few hundred thousand euro on shoes and clothing (and was in debt as a result).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

Well as a woman i would like to contribute to this thread. I am totally mad into my cars. Everyday im learning new things about cars, as is anyone who is mad into them. Last year i was driving a merc sl and this year im driving a lotus elise. Its noones business where they came from which is the only question i ever get asked. Money only ever appears for one reason, hard work. Sometimes flashy guys in ferraris are posing, and sometimes they are mad car freaks. Same with women, some are posers and then others just love their cars :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

flash cars? meh, they just scream ''look at me!!, love me!!'' There's better things to spend money on imo. I have a **** car, but it still serves the same purpose as any flash car.

Advertisement