Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Women in fast/expensive cars and Guys.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This should be kicked into Thunderdome.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Because people with "good" cars are generally desperately insecure.

What alarming tin-pot psychology...You don't neccesarily need a big house, but people have them, a Casio does the same job as a Rolex but what would you choose if you really could. If you don't want to spend your money on cars fair enough, but don't judge people who do.

It's called choice, a free market economy. I have friends with one or all of the above and friends with nothing, we know each other well from years back and they seem about as secure as each other.

Rant Over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

pwd wrote:
    Unless you can really afford it, it is irresponsible to spend a lot of money on a new car which will depreciate badly, and cost a lot to run. Most of the people I know who have them are fulfill the description in the previous paragraph. 30 year olds who live with their parents because they'd rather show off than be independent. Those sorts.
    So you see yourself fit to judge how other people spend their money? Particularly if they don't spend it like you do?

Let me guess - you're Irish, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kersh wrote:
    depends on the type of ferrari. Im getting one soon, and I will not be putting hands free in it.....
    Here's the kick in the nuts: you can only get the handsfree kit that plugs into your mobile. The ones which were stuck into the car aren't really been produced anymore, as the phones aren't a set shape, thus can't fit into a standard car kit.

=-=

A young woman could spend an extra 4 grand on a car. A young man wouldn't have the extra 4 grand: it'd be used for the insurance.

=-=

A muppet mobile has muppets inside them, be they man or woman.

=-=

I think people say nice car for a Ferrari, and a flash car for a muppet mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Ok PWD - He spat at my car after pointing from a long way away, ran up, said 'look at that wanker in his Porsche' and spat on the bonnet. Considering I never met the guy....and anyhow, its not in a flash colour - and its a 79. A classic car if you will.
    Im not insecure, i like cars - i race them too - check thread in mototrsport. Not all guys/girls with 'flash' cars are ****. None of my cars will depreciate either, cos i bought them at bottom value. Smart arent I. And the reason I bought them is cos its nice to drive them. A car. to me. is not just to get from a to b. And where I get the money for them is my business.
    @ Funxy - you are right money only comes from hard work in my world.And ill spend it on cars, always will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

the_syco wrote:
    Here's the kick in the nuts: you can only get the handsfree kit that plugs into your mobile. The ones which were stuck into the car aren't really been produced anymore, as the phones aren't a set shape, thus can't fit into a standard car kit.
    What exactly are you trying to say? I cannot understand you.
    If you are trying to say that there are no built in handsfree kits that is just plain rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Some people sure have a problem with things they don't understand, like a love of cars and driving. Yes there are people who buy cars (or any other product) as a status symbol. But if thats all you can see then perhaps you have a complex about money and wealth yourself. You may deny it, but why else would it bother you what someone else does with their money.

Theres never a reason to post crass, or insulting comments just to bait people into a reply. But having done so its inane to complain about getting equally crass responses to what you've posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

AMurphy wrote:
    Quick question on the radio here;
    Are single guys intimidated (not dated) by single women that drive expensive, sport & fast cars.? Particularly if yours if of lesser pedigree.

And if you are dating a woman with such a car, do you insist on driving it, or do you let her do all the driving, or are you miffed if she insists on driving it always.

What are your thoughts on the subject.
    Simple answer - if their intimidated by their girlfriend .. shouldn't be going out with her

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

CJhaughey wrote:
    What exactly are you trying to say? I cannot understand you.
    If you are trying to say that there are no built in handsfree kits that is just plain rubbish.
    To the best of my knowledge, the latest type of phone that can fit into the car kits is the Nokia 6150.

If you can tell me of a handsfree kit that you can fit into your car (not one that only plugs into your ear), please tell me, as a mate was looking for one, for his Nokia 6630. When he bought his car he was told that the cars no longer come with handsfree kits, as the models no longer fit in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Kersh wrote:
    Ok PWD - ....and anyhow, its not in a flash colour - and its a 79. A classic car if you will.
    Im not insecure, i like cars - i race them too - check thread in mototrsport.

Sorry to go off topic but I've only ever seen one Porsche 911 (Think it was a 79) and this one was silver, it was around the Tallaght area.(wont say where in case any potential spitters lurking! ;) ) I'm just very curious would it have been yours as there are often classic cars parked in this area (have seen a vintage rolls royce amongst others)

The Porsche was a fine car, really well looked after and just so different and eye catching - you would have to be either seriously jealous or closed minded not to appreciate it. I happened to be with my 4 year old son the day I saw it and even though he's only a young lad, he was well impressed. I was thinking afterwards that its a great thing to be able to see cars like that going round and for people to be able to see them and appreciate them so unexpectedly!

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote:
    To the best of my knowledge, the latest type of phone that can fit into the car kits is the Nokia 6150.

If you can tell me of a handsfree kit that you can fit into your car (not one that only plugs into your ear), please tell me, as a mate was looking for one, for his Nokia 6630. When he bought his car he was told that the cars no longer come with handsfree kits, as the models no longer fit in them.
    These are Nokia car kits and should be able to fit almost every phone bar the somewhat stupid 5140

@Samo -
    Jealousy I reckon, Or just plain scumbags. I get shouted at in the Nissan too , usually jobless car thief type scum. Anyhow its this car -

911scfront.jpg

Purdy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Every time I get into my girlfriends car I am scared for my life! I'm not a boy racer but I'm by no means a slow driver. I live in the right hand lane on motorways etc and I love giving the car a bit of a ride on remote roads but she drives like a woman possessed!

And in fairness she is good at it. Even if it is a bit of an experience. I've never seen her in any way close to danger and she reads the roads very well.

But she definately drives faster and takes bends faster than I do.

She drives a red tigra. Americans will blame it on the red.

But she loves driving like any guy I know. Even if she can't parallel park. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Wow, what an interesting thread, full of vulgar generalisations and blatent begrudgery.

1. I like cars alot. Some day I will get myself a 'flashy' car. Which one I get hasn't been decided yet. That is my hobby, and If I want to spend MY money on it, thats exactly what I'll do.
    Personally I cant fathom how someone will spend €40K to play golf, but if thats their hobby, and how they wish to spend their money, thats their choice.

2. Some men love cars. Some women love cars. Some men are good drivers. Some women are good drivers. Some men are bad drivers. Some women are bad drivers. Some men want certain cars that others consider 'flashy'. Some women want certain cars that others consider 'flashy'.
    ALL FACTS.

3. When I do get my dream car, will I allow my wife to drive it? YES. If my wife wants a certain car will I have a problem with it, NO.

EDIT:
    AFAIK, by law, a 4wd vehicle is required to tow any trailer with more than one axle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Kersh wrote:
    @Samo -
    Jealousy I reckon, Or just plain scumbags. I get shouted at in the Nissan too , usually jobless car thief type scum. Anyhow its this car -

911scfront.jpg

Wasnt the one we saw but fine car all the same! Mind you I'm impressed now that there's at least 2 of these going round Dublin - I lived in London for a long time and NEVER saw a classic Porsche or similar over there so great to see the Irish with the classic cars.

Thanks Samo - and if I had a gf, I wouldn let her near the thing.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

LoL at the dutch post mid thread :D Unkel: wist niet dat je nederlands was (kon)

I've noticed a good few females drive nice cars, nothing against it just how can they afford them is what id like to know :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

bubby wrote:
    Simple answer - if their intimidated by their girlfriend .. shouldn't be going out with her

one of the few sane replies also.

After skimming through that lot, I feel sometimes some questions should never be asked. like, "have you stopped beating your spouse yet"?

As for spitting on anyone car, some people have more serious problems than they realize. Not the type of person to be arguing with at any rate.

As for me, I just like to drive... anything I'm in, just itching to get my grubby little paws on the wheel, does not matter what type of car, doesn't have to be a car, or who owns it.

Took a day trip of 300mls and a couple of wineries yesterday.

prospect wrote:
    AFAIK, by law, a 4wd vehicle is required to tow any trailer with more than one axle.

All the articulated lorries aren't 4wd and have trailers with two axles... ;)

• Advertisement

AMurphy wrote:
    Took a day trip of 300mls and a couple of wineries yesterday.
    If you did it in a Saab Classic convertible I would be tempted to say "Sideways"

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jozi wrote:
    LoL at the dutch post mid thread :D Unkel

Shhhsss! Don't draw attention or Mike will move to thunderdome or worse :)

Interesting point. I must check this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally Posted by AMurphy
    And if you are dating a woman with such a car, do you insist on driving it, or do you let her do all the driving, or are you miffed if she insists on driving it always.

If she wants to drive me to and from the pub I'd be delighted but I quite like driving so would be pissed off if she insisted on driving everywhere, especially on longer journeys. I drive a fast car myself though, so it'd be something we'd have in common and would surely come to some sort of compromise.

In general if I saw a woman driving a 'nice' car I'd have slightly more respect for her than for a man in the same car. It's unusual for a woman to be interested in cars and half her friends probably think she's mad. She'd be under more peer pressure to go out and spend the money on shoes rather than a car she could be spending hours in every day.

Going to go on a bit of an off topic rant now..........

What I would consider a 'nice' car is probably a lot different to most people. Ask most women what car they'd like and they'd probably say a new mercedes or a big fupp off Landcruiser urban assault vehicle. Most men too would go out and buy a 05 BMW or mercedes as a status symbol. For a lot of people it's all about the badge and the year that makes a car desireable. Everybody wants a car that they think could go in the "Marques of disctinction" section of the Car Buyer's Guide and most people have no clue - I saw a Mondeo Ghia in there :rolleyes: . I'd be far more impressed if your car had a torque sensing limited slip differential than a "prestige" badge. I see a 05 Range Rover around Cork that probaly cost more than €100K and I can't help but think it's a twat that drives it. In terms of comfort and build quality I'd rather have a top of the range 3 series and half my money back. In his eyes it's the biggest, flashest car he could get.

Any true petrol-head will be far more interested in the condition of a car and what's under the skin than the badge and the year. I'd much rather have a well looked after second hand, kitted out Camry with the 2.4 engine than a brand new poverty spec Lexus for twice the money. I'd rather have a mint condition Skyline GT-R than a new M3 and I'd rather have a Land Cruiser or a Discovery that would actually go off-road than a Range Rover.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭flat6

That silver 911 sounds like mine - it's a '76 Carrera 3.0 - I work in CityWest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Me dad got a z3 last year. its one sexy little piece o machinery, I hope some day to inherit that bad boy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

In general if I saw a woman driving a 'nice' car (etc.)

Interesting point, in the context of the thread. The OP & title is "fast/expensive", many/most posts refer to "nice"... So, what is what (other than varying according to each and everyone's taste)?

i.e. if a woman is behind the wheel:

Is a 206 GTi 'fast'? Or are we talking Boxster-fast?
    Is a standard newish BMW 318 'expensive'? Or are we talking 05 SL-expensive?
    Is a 10-year old FTO 'nice'? Or is nice a badge thing?

Well, I stand corrected. I checked with the Vehicle Standards Devision of the Dept. Of Transport, and here is their response:

"The Regulations contain no specific prohibition on the drawing of a trailer by a two wheel drive vehicle. However, the Department would recommend that the towing capacity of the vehicle is specified as sufficient by the manufacturer for the weight of the trailer plus its contents."

Well done to all involved ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I think its great to see women in fast and expensive cars... (Edit: by this I mean the likes of Porsches/Ferraris etc) There used to be a girl who drove up Baggot Street daily in a 98 or so UK reg Aston Martin Vantage (I think it was a Vantage, and this was back in 98)... damn sexy combination.

Anyone who's driving such an expensive car is usually doing do because either a: they've worked their arses off to get where they are or b: they've come into some money with a bit of luck. Either way fair play to them... Its a typically Irish attitude to begrudge people some luxuries in life... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

kdevitt wrote:
    I think its great to see women in fast and expensive cars... there used to be a girl who drove up Baggot Street daily in a 98 or so UK reg Aston Martin Vantage (I think it was a Vantage, and this was back in 98)... damn sexy combination.

Anyone who's driving such an expensive car is usually doing do because either a: they've worked their arses off to get where they are or b: they've come into some money with a bit of luck. Either way fair play to them... Its a typically Irish attitude to begrudge people some luxuries in life... :rolleyes:
    Couldnt agree more! I hate begrudgers !

Advertisement