Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labours Robin Cook dies after taken ill

Options
  • 06-08-2005 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

The ex foriegn minister Robin Cook has died in after being taken ill while walking in the Scottish highlands.

Cook was famous for his forensic skills in opposition when Labour came to power he stated the governments foreign policy would be "ethical". Needles to say that proved easier said than done. He fell out with Blair over Iraq resigning his position.

I was'nt a fan (a bit old labour with beard) but at least he did resign over Iraq rather than do a Clair Short.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I had great respect for him, esspecially after he resigned in protest to the Iraq Invaision.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Indeed, a principipled man. Can anyone imagine one of our lot resigning in protest at anything? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

very sad....a great principled guy.. even on Palestine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Rip

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Rip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hill16

Rip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

What a pity. He was a personal favourite of mine.
    A hugely courageous and intelligent man. A credit to politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Shame he will be missed in UK politics, a principled man such a rarity in politics and non existant in Irish Politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

hill16 wrote:
    Rip

hear hear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

murphaph wrote:
    Indeed, a principipled man. Can anyone imagine one of our lot resigning in protest at anything? :mad:
    Unthinkable.

If you never agreed with a word of his views, you'd have to admire him for having some principles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

gregos wrote:
    Unthinkable.

If you never agreed with a word of his views, you'd have to admire him for having some principles.
    spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

People keep saying it, but yes he was indeed a man of principle. His stand over the war in Iraq was correct. It is sad to lose him. We need more like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I always had great respect for him as a politician, whatever his failings in his personal life.

In politics, when it really counted, he took a stand for what he believed in, and what he thought was right. In many ways, he was one of the Old Labour guard, and as such was, IMO, a more honest and intelligent man than the two dimensional, sneaky lot that have come to prominance in the New Labour experiment.

He shouldn't just be remembered for his stance on Iraq however. As Foreign Secretary between 97 and 2001, he performed admirably, particularly with reference to the combined US and British response to ethnic genocide in Kosovo. In addition, he had been an MP since 1974, and, as is clear by the response of Boardsies to the tragic news, had garnered an immense reputation as a man of honour.

He will be sorely missed.

Robert Finlayson Cook
    28 February 1946 - 6 August 2005
    R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Rip.

SebtheBum wrote:
    I always had great respect for him as a politician, whatever his failings in his personal life.

In politics, when it really counted, he took a stand for what he believed in, and what he thought was right. In many ways, he was one of the Old Labour guard, and as such was, IMO, a more honest and intelligent man than the two dimensional, sneaky lot that have come to prominance in the New Labour experiment.

He shouldn't just be remembered for his stance on Iraq however. As Foreign Secretary between 97 and 2001, he performed admirably, particularly with reference to the combined US and British response to ethnic genocide in Kosovo. In addition, he had been an MP since 1974, and, as is clear by the response of Boardsies to the tragic news, had garnered an immense reputation as a man of honour.

He will be sorely missed.

Robert Finlayson Cook
    28 February 1946 - 6 August 2005
    R.I.P.
    I agree 100%
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

One of the only decent politicians of this era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

:(
    Seems the good never die old.

Advertisement