Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New BF2 Rig

Options
  • 06-08-2005 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

I hope this can run everything at max settings :D
    You have ordered the following items:

Item: Antec TrueControl 550w PSU with 5.25ins drive bay control panel
    Qty: 1

Item: OCZ Platinum EL Dual Channel Kit 2x512MB DDR400 PC3200 CL 2-2-2-5
    Revision 2 (LIFETIME
    WARRANTY) (OCZ4001024ELDCPER2-K)
    Qty: 2

Item: Deluxworld M80112 ATX Middle Tower Case in Silver/Black with
    colour fan USB2.0/Audio P4 350w
    PSU(Power Cord Included)

Item: XFX GeForce 6800 GT PCI-E 256MB DDR3 TV + DUAL DVI
    Qty: 2

Item: Western Digital WD740GD Raptor 74GB Serial ATA 10,000rpm 8mb Cache
    - OEM

Item: Western Digital WD3000JD Caviar Special Edition 300GB 7200rpm SATA
    8mb

Item: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe S939 NF4 SLI ATX - Sound 2xgln 1394 USB2 SATA

Item: AMD (San Diego) Athlon 64bit 4000+ 939pin 1mb L2cache Retail Boxed
    Processor With 3 Year
    Warranty and Fan Included.

Item: Logitech Mx518 Silver Optical Mouse -PS2/USB

Item: Tension TSK-108A Beige Slim Keyboard

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

nice rig! yeah that'll run bf2 very nicely, 2gigs ram, 2 6800gt's, beast of a machine

how much is it setting you back?

btw, did you forget an optical drive/monitor or do you already have one your gonna use?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Yeah I forgot it. Just saw (2 hours after I ordered that) they brought out the 7800 GT on that webby :(

It's setting me back £1500, and I could have paid extra to get the 7800 instead (getting it on credit) so pity.

i've seen bf2 running on a dual 6800ultra system with everything maxed out and it was very smooth, so that system will manage nearly the same, thats a pretty good price for the spec aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

Even if you've ordered it and received it you have 7 days after you receive it cooling off to return it for full refund (even if there is no fault) if you ordered it mail order / web order within EU. Its the law right across EU so make your changes and re-order. Better for them than if you return within your 7 days cooling off and are entitled to full refund. There may be a longer cooling off period with credit orders ?

Just checked out some benchmarks and tests on the 7800 sli over the 6800 sli and it's not a huge boost for the double price tag.

But I did order the wrong power supply :D I ordered the truecontrol I not the truecontrol II. My bad - i'll have to call them and get it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 doud

Hey Iceman,

I'm myself on the edge of upgrading to something similar [but not sli] and wanted to know what site did you order all that ? I'm thinking of going to overclockers.co.uk cause they deliver to Ireland but if you have a better deal :)

DouD

Well I normally order from Ebuyer.com, overclockers.co.uk, komplett.co.uk in that order. Komplett are good for cheap stuff because of the P&P. Overclockers are excellent for the high quality of merchandise, but ebuyer takes it with the low prices.

That whole rig is costing me just shy of £1500 (€2150), but i'm getting it on credit and paying up on ebuyer over 3 years (they offer the service on any order over £250). They're a worldwide company so it would just take calling them to check on P&P to ireland. I know it's an extra £15 to N.Ireland. Might be a bit more to republic, but if you knew someone up north you could simply come pick the parts up.

That's just the PC though - i've ordered a 19" 12ms TFT to come on thursday as well :D I'm looking forward to turning everything up :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Wicked machine icey but ya dont need that power to turn everything up on BF2:)
    My spec is P4 2.8 800FSB,1 gig DDR400mhz,X800XL 512mb all on ultra settings 1280x1024@100hz 4XFSAA 60-100 fps,bumping up to 1600x1400 drops bout 7-10 fps.
    Your machine does look future proof tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Russell_Sprout

Im sorry, but your pc wont be able to run BF2. Nevermind max settings.

Not only have you wasted your money but also my time.

thankyou.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

useless spam from an obvious alt, please go to hell and die russell.

im working lates all week so i wont get to play much till saturday, hopefully then i can continue my march towards 10500 (im at 6400) so ill see yas playing on the weekend :D

• Advertisement

OK I called them and they wouldn't change the PSU. So I had to cancel the order :(

But tonight i'm going to reorder. I just noticed that they're out of stock on the 6800 GTs, so instead i've been looking through some reviews and some charts, and i'm going to go with the single MSI 7800 GTX with the option later to get it as SLI (Right now there are no games that would test the SLI and i'm going to be stuck at 1280 res so I won't get the performance boost of 7800 GTX SLI at 1600x)

And i'm going to throw in a few nice little fans and cathode tubes to make it look all shiney :D Mmmmm shiney :D

Also I figured a built in SD (and the rest) reader would be handy with my phone, so i'll get one of those too :)

I'm really looking forward to it now :D New price tag bringing it closer to £1900

YAY it finally came. And I finally got it installed with the latest drivers.

BF2 on maxed out settings (except 60Hz instead of 75Hz @ 1280x960) = i've seen over 104 fps :D

I'm loving it - well worth the cash for the upgrade anyone who decides they want more FPS in game :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

nice rig iceman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**']YAY it finally came. And I finally got it installed with the latest drivers.

BF2 on maxed out settings (except 60Hz instead of 75Hz @ 1280x960) = i've seen over 104 fps :D

I'm loving it - well worth the cash for the upgrade anyone who decides they want more FPS in game :D

But did it make you any better :D

kdjac

Yes :)

The extra fps when i'm in the chopper means it's not as choppy in the gunner seat - and definately not in the TVM. I was still getting 50-60 fps in there.

It also for some reason smoothed out shooting. It seems to be more accurate now. And I don't get lag at all. It's brilliant. I do recommend everyone mortgaging their mother to buy this :D

Oh, and the super fast load time from the extra memory means that I get in the chopper/plane/car/tank first :D

And, I don't have to have file paging turned on (virtual memory).

So at the very least I would recommend people purchase enough ram (cheap option) to get their rigs up to 2gb, and turn Virtual Memory off - it should speed things up a good bit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Update - FPS uncapped "game.lockfps 999" and i've peaked at just over 160fps :D I'm loving it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

renderer.drawfps 1

I used renderer.drawFps 1 and got 166. I've installed FRAPs as well - it's pretty good but averages to nearest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I can beat you.
    My specs as of today. All bought in singapore. Particularly proud of the x-fi soundcard.
    Shameless brag.

amd fx-57 (wanted an x2 4800+)
    MSI k8n Diamond
    corsair xms pc3200 cl2 2x1gb
    coolermaster hyper 6+ cpu cooler
    Antec p180 case
    xfx 7800 gtx (the deluxe one)
    Western digital 74gb Raptor 10k rpm SATA
    Plextor 716a DL DVD re-writer
    550w Coolermaster psu
    Soundblaster x-fi Fatal1ty
    Logitech mx-518 mouse
    Diamondback razor mousepad

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

no good if you can't post fps readings
    fluffer wrote:
    I can beat you.
    My specs as of today. All bought in singapore. Particularly proud of the x-fi soundcard.
    Shameless brag.

amd fx-57 (wanted an x2 4800+)
    MSI k8n Diamond
    corsair xms pc3200 cl2 2x1gb
    coolermaster hyper 6+ cpu cooler
    Antec p180 case
    xfx 7800 gtx (the deluxe one)
    Western digital 74gb Raptor 10k rpm SATA
    Plextor 716a DL DVD re-writer
    550w Coolermaster psu
    Soundblaster x-fi Fatal1ty
    Logitech mx-518 mouse
    Diamondback razor mousepad

I got a mistake in the order and it turned out to be a dual 74GB raptor that I got.

And the deluxe 7800gtx? lol. The best 7800GTX that i've seen is the Gainward.

The MSI that I have I can OC with the built in s/w to the Gainward standard settings and more.

Put in 2 DVD drives, and the timing of my memory is 2-2-2-5. What's yours?

Sorry, but if you wanna do a "who's bigger"...

BTW the 4800 x2 is outperformed by the 4000+ because the 4800 is designed more for DUAL PROCESSING which doesn't get used when running BF2 Client.

Performance of this little baby?

3dMark05 gives it 8450+

In game FPS running 1280x960 @ 60Hz on everything on high = 167 max so far.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Bah my willy is bigger than yours thread tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

my e-penis is this big 8
    >

Just a correction.
    7800 gtx is better than a 6800 gt. Period. The xfx edition is also just as fast as the gainward golden sample. Do your research.
    The cpu i have is the AMD 64 fx-57. Not the x2 4800+. The fx-57 is the fastest gaming cpu available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

ho about we just say that you both can run battlefield 2 really well?

what we should be talking about is who got the better price deal? :D

MSI K8n Diamond and amd fx-57 = 1270 euro @ komplett
    Paid 2280 singapore dollars = 1094 Euro

xfx geforce 7800 gtx = 585 euro komplett
    paid 880 singapore dollars= 422 euro

Most others I bought for cash at Comex (computer expo '05) singapore. I got great prices there. The possible exception being the soundcard. A fatal1ty x-fi card cost me 247 euro. But to be fair it was on its release day there.

I believe it would be hard to justify what I bought on a price/performance basis. But on performance alone im happy.

This thread was just a blatant brag countered with the same. :o

Sorry you're right - my original spec listed here is wrong.

My current rig spec changed because I had to reorder it.

AMD 64bit 939 4000+ san diego
    MSI 7800GTX
    Dual 74GB raptor 10kbrpm HDDs in RAID
    Nforce4 SLI deluxe mobo
    2, 16x16 NEC DVD-RW
    7in1 multicard reader
    Truecontrol II 550w PSU
    Chieftec Matrix case
    And loads of green fans and cathode tubes etc (to make it look all shiney)

I mentioned the dual 4800+ because you said you wanted one but I agree the fx-57 is the fastest out there at the moment.

But as mentioned before it all comes down to the FPS - got a screeny of a high fps that can beat 167?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

fluffer wrote:
    MSI K8n Diamond and amd fx-57 = 1270 euro @ komplett
    Paid 2280 singapore dollars = 1094 Euro

xfx geforce 7800 gtx = 585 euro komplett
    paid 880 singapore dollars= 422 euro

Most others I bought for cash at Comex (computer expo '05) singapore. I got great prices there. The possible exception being the soundcard. A fatal1ty x-fi card cost me 247 euro. But to be fair it was on its release day there.

I believe it would be hard to justify what I bought on a price/performance basis. But on performance alone im happy.

This thread was just a blatant brag countered with the same. :o
    you forgot to add the price of your return ticket to singapore. ;)
    [align=right]13.16.137.11[/align]

Advertisement