Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for new MTB build?

Options
  • 06-08-2005 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Im currently cycling into work and my current bike ( a Gazelle dutch tourer 28inch wheel model with a 26''ish inch frame) is all beat up from the state of the roads around donnybrook and ballsbridge! :mad:
    Im thinking of making up my own MTB, but am not sure if it is really worth it!
    Is there that much of a saving if i make my own as opposed to buying one?
    Im looking at a build consisting of at least a 24''inch frame as im 6'4', would that size be enough? I would stick on slicks as i would only be using the bike for commuting and around town. No suspension planned!
    I suppose the key question is how difficult is it to put together a bike? I wouldnt be from a cycling background so apart from the basics im a newbie! :o
    And is it worth having maybe a disc brake on the back wheel? Are they gimmicks or actually more effective than normal pads?
    My budget for the whole thing would be about 200-250euro, which probably limits what i can do right? You guessed it-Im a student!
    Does anyone know where i can get a big frame?
    Thanks in advance for any advice!

Oh yeah, mmm, Does anyone know where i can get 28inch wheels that are made for disk brakes? Not sure what kind of brakes are on the bike, its a kind of drum/internal system or something! Any Dutch bike suppliers in dublin?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

You wouldnt get much of a custom build for 250 euro Im afraid.
    Im six foot four also and have a 22inch claud buttler and it does the job fine. Remember the bigger the frame the weaker and that goes for the wheels also.

Shop around on the web and you should get a complete bike for about 300 as the 06 models are comming out soon so the 05 will be getting reduced.

Also if you find a local bike shop that does rentals,after the summer is over they recondition them and sell them for half nothing.

And another tip find out which garda station stores the stolen bikes that get found as thay sell them off if the owner doesnt claim their ride back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dutchboy

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

wideangle wrote:
    And another tip find out which garda station stores the stolen bikes that get found as thay sell them off if the owner doesnt claim their ride back.

There is an auction in Kevin St Garda station every few months. The last one was in march so there might be another one due soon. www.garda.ie usually has details.

Building your own bike would give you a huge scope for what you wanted and also provide you with experience which you could use for servicing your bike when necessary. Zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance is a good book which would probably provide you with most if not all the info you need!
    R

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

As was said before there isn't much point in building a MTB (esp. for using on the road) for €250. There would be no point in getting a disc at all, if you do, I'd get it on the front rather than the back too. They're not gimmicks but not needed for road use and I find them much much better than V's.

Advertisement