Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being harrassed my housemate - how to get rid

Options
  • 07-08-2005 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭

First time posting proper on personal issues I think.

Basically I've been having problems with harrassment from a new housemate. She's just moved to Ireland from Poland and is looking for a job here. At first she seemed quite nice, myself and my current housemate got along fine with her, helped her in her job hunting, invited her out for drinks, let her use our computers to keep in contact with family from home etc.

However that all changed since my other housemate went on holidays a few days ago. She has been consistently rude to me, treating me like dirt.

She woke me up at 2AM one morning because I had left a light on downstairs.
    Another morning I awoke to get a glass of water downstairs and she followed me down and demanded to know what I was doing.
    Yesterday, I found a delivery note from an attempted parcel delivery to her. When I gave it to her, she became angry with me, demanding to know why she couldn't collect it immediately (it was 10:30 on a friday evening) and getting pissier with me when I told her she could collect it Monday morning (she's still jobless so it's not like she won't have time to collect it and either way it's not my problem).
    She also seems to expect me to clean her dishes after her because she hoovered the living room.

The final straw came earlier tonight when I was sitting in my bedroom typing on my laptop and she slid a post-it note under my door saying "STOP MAKING NOISE ON THE LAPTOP BEFORE SOLICITOR COMES". She then knocked on my door saying "Well, did you read it?". At that point I was pretty much paralysed by rage, uttered something, she went back to her bedroom, I closed my door, she shouted across "Don't you dare shut that door again!".

I want the bitch out of my house. I've only just calmed down now really and feel sick at the thought of going to sleep tonight knowing she's so close. I've already been staying in work late the past few days because I didn't want to go home. I want to ring my landlord tomorrow and have her evicted. I've been told to come here first in case there's anything I should know to help my case. Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

She sounds psycho!!Ring your landlord I was living witha real headwrecker for 5 months and if I had my time back i WOULD ring the landlord straight off because it got worse as it went on , definately ring the landlord and see can ye get rid of her say you feel unsafe with her there because she sounds like a right mentalist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

jesus she sounds like a right crazy contrary bitch. just kick her out on her ass. dont let her get the better of you at all. lock her out of the house and leave a post-it note on the front dorr to tell her to fvck off back to poland! :( :mad: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Crikey!
    How long til your housemate gets home?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Definitely ring the landlord first thing tomorrow morning. You've been there a lot longer, so obviously you will have say over her. What does your other housemate think of the situation?

That or change the locks on the doors when she goes out on Monday morning to collect her parcel from the post office, muahahaha! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

get her out,and if she is jobless how is she paying her way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

well ring the landlord at work so shes not around.yeah nutter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I'll bet you she goes back to being normal as soon as your other housemate returns. Tell her how you feel about her and try and explain the situation, then kill her and bury her body in the backgarden - your stress levels will fall considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

I'll bet you she goes back to being normal as soon as your other housemate returns. Tell her how you feel about her and try and explain the situation, then kill her and bury her body in the backgarden - your stress levels will fall considerably.
    lmfao :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Don't be held back by the "nice guy" training you no doubt had as a kid.

You DO NOT need a negative force like this around the house.

Give her two weeks notice.

Be strong. This psycho will just get worse, not better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

P-s-y-c-h-o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

dublindude wrote:
    Don't be held back by the "nice guy" training you no doubt had as a kid.

You DO NOT need a negative force like this around the house.

Give her two weeks notice.

Be strong. This psycho will just get worse, not better.

Oh don't worry, it's funny how animal rage completely undercuts all that useless grey matter programming. I don't even want to give her 2 weeks notice. She says she'll be gone in less than 3 week anyway if(when) she doesn't get a job and I thought I could hold out until then, but after last night there's no way. She has a cousin who lives down the road from us so if I throw her out it's not like she's out on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Have you spoken to her cousin or anyone else who knows her about her recent behaviour? They may be able to throw some light on the situation, eg drugs or what have you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Stark wrote:
    Oh don't worry, it's funny how animal rage completely undercuts all that useless grey matter programming. I don't even want to give her 2 weeks notice. She says she'll be gone in less than 3 week anyway if(when) she doesn't get a job and I thought I could hold out until then, but after last night there's no way. She has a cousin who lives down the road from us so if I throw her out it's not like she's out on the streets.
    tbh, has she signed anything? Is her name on the lease? If not then just fúck her sh*t out on the road and change the locks to be honest. That's what i'd do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Have you spoken to her cousin or anyone else who knows her about her recent behaviour? They may be able to throw some light on the situation, eg drugs or what have you.

Not his job to get involved in her family, nor arrange alternative accomdation. you're living with the person. You care not for the reasons of their actions just that they are affecting your quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

LiouVille wrote:
    Not his job to get involved in her family, nor arrange alternative accomdation. you're living with the person. You care not for the reasons of their actions just that they are affecting your quality of life.

I'm not suggesting that he gets involved with her family or arrange alternative accommodation. It's just that I am incurably nosy and like to know what makes people tick especially if they tock when they should be ticking. However in spite of her abhorrent and because of her aberrent behaviour maybe a little humanity is called for here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Stark, you gotta show her who The Boss is! But since Bruce Springsteen isn't in town for the for the forseeable future a plan-b might be in order.

I suggest you should continue doing all these 'unreasonable' acts that irritate her so much with gay abandon! She'll either a) move out, b) rat to someone therein demonstrating what a nut she is or c) realise you couldn't give a **** about 'what she wants' and she'll just have to tow the line.

BTW would housemate #3 find it unreasonable if she heard the Pole saying things like 'stop typing so loudly' to you or would she consider it a perfectly reasonable request ie where is the balance of power here?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Talk to the landlord and explain everything, get her out. It isn't worth wasting your time on psychos who can't act reasonable to people they're living with. She doesn't even have a job so I doubt the landlord is going to object, mooching psychopath that she is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 HappyGoLucky

If reasoning and talking to the landlord doesn't work, I'd suggest painting milk on the wall of her room. It will dry see through, but when it goes sour in a day or two, the smell will be unbearable....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Pigman II wrote:
    ...I suggest you should continue doing all these 'unreasonable' acts that irritate her so much with gay abandon! She'll either a) move out, b) rat to someone therein demonstrating what a nut she is or c) realise you couldn't give a **** about 'what she wants' and she'll just have to tow the line...

You forgot about option d) she flips and reaches for the cutlery drawer! :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Well I had considered that option but she's seems a little too far-gone at this point to be turned into the domesticated good-housewife-type who will prepare Starks meals. Still we can live in hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

If reasoning and talking to the landlord doesn't work, I'd suggest painting milk on the wall of her room. It will dry see through, but when it goes sour in a day or two, the smell will be unbearable....

He has to live in the house too!
    And also, when she does go, it'd be pretty hard to rent the room to someone else.

Exactly yeah. And someone already did that to our fridge before (as well as sticking an easy-single to the back wall of the fridge). There was some red and green discolouration that I noticed, I assumed someone had left a loaf of bread sitting there and some of the colouring had rubbed off the packaging. It turned out to be some sort of bacterial infestation. The house smelt like swimming pool for days after I was done cleaning it and when the bleach smell had lifted, I noticed the original smell was still faintly there.

Cathy wrote:
    He has to live in the house too!
    And also, when she does go, it'd be pretty hard to rent the room to someone else.

But if you make a mental note of where you painted (behind the wardrobe prehaps) then you can wash it off with soapy water and Bobs your Uncle and Sallys your aunt! Problem solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

But if you make a mental note of where you painted (behind the wardrobe prehaps) then you can wash it off with soapy water and Bobs your Uncle and Sallys your aunt! Problem solved!

It'll have soaked through the paint by then, and would be pretty tough to get off.

Cathy wrote:
    It'll have soaked through the paint by then, and would be pretty tough to get off.

Fair enough....Try powered milk in the bed clothes. You get the same affect - it'll turn sour in a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

lol your housemate reminds me of the guy who moved in with Chandler in "Friends". Anyone remember Eddie??!! Psycho!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Call immigration :p seriously sounds like a nutter! best of luck getting rid of her, i hope the landlord can get rid of her though, is she on the lease or anything?

Chickened out of calling the landlord in the end. Ended up just fighting it out with her. Mistake on my part no doubt, like you've said, it probably won't make a difference, just buy me a few days relief. Though she'll be one in 2 or 3 weeks anyway when she doesn't get a job so it's not too bad I guess.

Our new housemate moved in just as we were having a shouting match. Great first impressions for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Why didnt ya ring the landlord?Im telling ya man , things will get worse as it goes on , hope ya have a lock for your bedroom because if shes anything like the cow I lived with , half your stuff will go missing next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Maynooth

Get her out!!

Advertisement