Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling when drunk?

Options
  • 07-08-2005 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Do you ever D+C?! I would cycle my bike pretty much everywhere...including the pub/parties. I dont drink excessively, so Im always well-able to cycle home afterwards. what are the general thoughts on cycling after drinking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Did it once when buckled. No problems though cycle lane all the way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

My record used to be from Deansgrange to the top of grange road, but I surpasssed myself this summer, Clontarf to the top of Grange road, rather drunk and a little.... ahem. It was an experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Dodgy, dodgy - tried it myself and found it difficult.

My mate was buckled once and cycled. Told him to watch out for lampposts. Was gone 2 minutes and hit one. Ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

The worst thing that ever happened was me accidently snapping the sole of a cleat shoe. Not too sure how I did that, I was drunk at the time. But otherwise I think I have the technique dialled, as long as I am moving. Standing at lights is usually the bit that gets me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

I used to until I hit a rock or something and lost control and landed on my chin and chipped it.....nasty but luckily I was so buckled I couldn't feel it until the next morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I cycled a friend of mine halfway home while unbelievably drunk. I held it together until 2 minutes into my solo journey home when I fell off chin first. Fractured my mandible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Ham Slicer

I wouldn't recommend it.

My uncle was cycling under the influence a few years ago. He was coming down islandbridge and ran straight into the Phoenix Park wall.

Got a broken nose and two broken ribs for his troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Done it on a couple of times, and not just under the influence of alcohol! Its a lot of hard work, but good fun, I've never had any accidents but I've always cycled with lights and a reflective jacket in the car lane when drunk.

Still, its illegal kids, you really shouldn't do it, its a danger to yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Did some drunken mountain-biking around a golf-course construction site, around lakes and up and down massive muck mountains. Twas a great laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I did it frequently when in college and for a short while after. I then realised how stupid it was.
    I always had lights and reflective belt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Ah - Daymo, don't be getting all sensible on us in your old age!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

Done and still do it quite a bit. Once or twice has been fairly dodgy when I've been on the very drunk side of things. A fair few falls - no serious injuries but I did knock of a wing mirror of a parked car and shatter my phone once. It is very do-able as long as your not completely langered. Most of the time when I'm coming home (normally about 2miles, 6 at most) I'm pretty much the only "vehicle" on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

mate of mine fukked him self up when he crashed into a parked car while drunk on the way home from a party he was a cycle courier at the time too so it was a triple whammy, too injured to work ,no money & a wrecked bike.
    i once went on the booze after work & found myself unable to get a taxi & so decided to unlock my bike from where i left it & cycle home, despite the fact that i had left my saddle in work!
    ouch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

I've done this a lot in Amsterdam where it's very normal to park your bike outside the nightclub. That was when I had my first encounter with a tram line. Whoops! ...Went absolutely FLYING over the handlebars and did serious damage to my knee. Cycling drunk is do-able but drunk on a tram line has gotta be a no-no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Used to do it a bit in uni...mostly I just used to brake late.

Remember one night watching a guy absolutely wasted who drifted through a park and then across a dual carriageway. He fell off on the pavement the other side. Pretty hilarious.

Advertisement