Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Course In Miracles

Options
  • 07-08-2005 7:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭

I would like to make contact with other students of the Course with a view to presenting introductory talks around Ireland.

For the benefit of those who have not encountered this approach to spirituality, if you search the web under "A Course In Miracles" you will find thousands of sites and references.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Excellent,

I know of someone who will be starting to teach The Course in Cork in September. There may be someone else I know that will be starting to teach it also. You could send me a private message if you like and I could tell you more.

I wish you the very best on this path,

Nick

Edit: Does anyone else here study this book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mandala

I'm delighted to have found this thread!
    There is one other person I know in Dublin (where I live) who is also studying the book - as I am. We were thinking of starting a discussion group - is anyone else interested? Or do you know of existing groups in Dublin?
    Would a discussion here on the board work, do you think?

That's a good idea. Maybe it could go along the lines of what exercises each person is doing each day and hopefully there will be enough people on boards that know of the course and even if they don't it might be a good introduction to it.

I'm not studying it at the moment because it doesn't feel right for me right now but I do know of many who are.

Nick

Thank you, Nick, for your prompt reply. Ok, so i will try to say a few things about the ideas I am focusing on at the moment in the Course.

All along, since i started studying the Course some months ago, I have really liked the emphasis on letting go of grievances. Of course, but how? It seems I have been struggling with this for years, and suddenly in the last few days I have found useful, practical advice! Anytime i feel some sort of grievance surfacing within me I can remind myself that "Darkness is not my will - I will light". My will, my deepest desire, is that God's light should shine on any anger, bitterness or minor irritation I feel and dispel it. The opposite of this is "Cherishing these feelings and hiding them in darkness."
    So now I am taking time twice a day to think about this - especially the idea that I am somehow "cherishing" my negative feelings and hiding them in clouds of various sorts, like self-justification - and then to be silent and still, and listen.

On the other hand, I struggle with the concept that "to be without a body is our natural state". I may agree with this rationally, but somewhere within me I feel a strong resistance...

Yes, being without a body is not so easy to concieve since most of us identify so much with our bodies. Not sure how you can convince yourself other than actually leaving your body.

From the short time that I studied the course the most I got out of it was projection, even now I am still assimilating it and that is the main reason that I am not continuing the study of it I think. Realising that you are responsible so so many things, for example how I label people poor if they are not well dressed. It's a big big challenge not to project your opinions onto others.

Nick

• Advertisement

My feeling is that if I have to completely assimilate everything in each lesson before I move on to the next one I'll never make any progress! Some things are easier than others, but most will involve a lifelong struggle, and all i can do is go back from time to time and remind myself!

I think we all have prejudices and preconceptions like the ones you describe - I know I keep discovering new ones in myself! But I'm not going to give up on myself just because I'll never be perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭hillviewfarm

Hiya,

I live in East Cork and am looking for a study group in ACIM, or other like minded people interested in setting up a group.

thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Greetings and Blessings.

I would encourage you to put your name on this site listed below.

You do not have to be a teacher or have the "course under your belt". If you make yourself available "you will meet those who you are meant to meet"

Interesting this is the first post in almost eight years on this forum. If you send me a private message maybe we can exchange details.

http://www.miraclecenter.org/services/study-groups.php

In Love and Light.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 AngelLight

I was given a gift of A Course In Miracles a number of years ago and I have yet to delve into it. I keep an open mind on all things as I have no religious following except to follow my instinct and heart in all things. Those of you who have studied it, what would you say you have learned through this book? Would you recommend it and why?

If you Google "A Course In Miracles" you will get over 7 million hits.

You can find a commentary on nearly every question you could think of. Maybe search for specific topics for example.........anger, forgiveness, guilt, shame etc. This path is more about unlearning than learning and for many who want to study it sometimes the best introduction is to read commentaries by people who are competent to comment on it.

The link below may be a good example.

http://www.oprah.com/oprahradio/A-Course-in-Miracles-Lesson-46_1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

ACIM is a known Cult. There is nothing spiritual about it. Its is highly dangerous and a lot of people that get in involved it in lost the plot. AVOID it at all costs

Read this for more info
    https://dialogueireland.wordpress.com/category/a-course-in-miracles-acim/

hfallada wrote: »
    ACIM is a known Cult. There is nothing spiritual about it. Its is highly dangerous and a lot of people that get in involved it in lost the plot. AVOID it at all costs

Read this for more info

Dialogue Ireland does not actually take a view as to whether the beliefs of the ACIM represent Religion or a Philosophy. Also whether they are opposed to another religion, whether they are heretical from a Catholic perspective or from an Evangelical point of view they are unbiblical is not our issue. We are concerned when we receive requests for support from families of persons who seem to have lost the plot. Whereas they were emotionally available and could be part of a family and the give and take that involves, now they find the person is withdrawn on another planet so to speak. They are also atomised believing they are no longer an incarnate being, but rather a separate gnostic spiritual individual with no connectedness to their wife, husband, daughter or son. To use an illustration. They were like honey from a honey comb deeply interrelated to those around them in their family or community. They still retained their individuality, but that was not a problem at that point. Now they are like individual marbles which are in a box and the box is dropped and the individual marbles go all over the place. They have no deep rooted connectivity and seem to be victims of a kind of DOS attack.

There seems then to be some influence and people involved seem to lack coherence and grounding in reality?

What is your experience?

I am a student of ACIM for over twenty years it has enriched my life and answered many questions that dogma cannot answer.

Let me say that Oprah Winfrey is no fool and you would find it hard to convince people that she has "lost the plot". Whatever the plot is, I have no idea.

" A Course in Miracles " is not for everyone if it makes people uncomfortable it is not for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Roger Buck

hfallada wrote: »

Read this for more info

I was into ACIM when I was young and lived at the Findhorn community in Scotland.

I am very, very, very glad I found my way of this de-humanising, de-personalising form of spirituality.

ACIM like Eckhart Tolle and many other New Age themes can foster, I have found, an inhuman spirituality because one is encouraged to detach from very human things, including family, friends, even time itself

If anyone is interested, there is much at my website. Although it is more about New Age spirituality in general, rather than ACIM.

Maybe this is the best place to start:

http://corjesusacratissimum.org/2013/03/from-findhorn-to-catholicism-on-leaving-the-new-age-for-the-church/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Roger Buck

Xenophile wrote: »
    Can you clarify the above statement!

Xenophile - (GREAT name you have there, btw - love it)

The Course in Miracles represents a distancing from one's humanity inasmuch as it is literally saying that so much of what we cherish as human beings isn't real.

The Course tries to present a solution to human suffering and very ordinary human emotions such as anger, hurt etc by saying the things that caused that anger never happened.

This is how forgiveness is arrived at in ACIM by realising that all the wrongs that ever happened to me never happened.

Nobody ever insulted me, hit me, attacked me in any way because there can be no reality to such attacks.

This also means that nobody was ever raped, ever beaten up, nobody ever got cancer ... all these things are ultimately illusory, unreal.

I was fond of the course for more than ten years of my life because I saw the beauty in its message of forgiveness.

But I began to see that all this came at the cost of my human-ness.

That by detaching from very ordinary human things as unreal I was detaching from the precious things of being HUMAN.

There is much more at my blog about this.

For those that are interested, this is the Daily Lesson for 13th. November. Beautifully read.

http://www.oprah.com/oprahradio/A-Course-in-Miracles-Lesson-317-Audio

Kenneth Wapnick

It is with the utmost sorrow that we inform you of the death of Dr. Kenneth Wapnick on Friday December 27, 2013. He died peacefully at home with his beloved wife Gloria and family at his side. The family will have a private service and plans are being made for a forthcoming public memorial.

"There is no death. The Son of God is free." (W-pI.163)
    "Teach not that I died in vain. Teach rather that I did not die by demonstrating that I live in you." (T-11.VI.7:3-4)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 UCDM

Hi
    I'm looking for a study group in ACIM in Dublin.
    Does Anyone knows where?

Thanks

Advertisement