Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish ISP test

• 07-08-2005 8:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

There's been mumblings about the accuracy of Irish ISP test and I have noticed that it tends to rate my speed a bit lower than I actually achieve when I download something. Obviously there's no such thing as unlimited bandwidth so that test site can obviously suffer too.

It seems to rate upload speed completely incorrectly, though. It just gave me a speed of 385kps but I can upload at about 170KB/s, so that's about 1.5Mbps I would think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i use http://www.giganews.com/test_connect.html aswell just to get a more accurate speed, its also real time so you can sometimes see it droping and shooting right up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I would say they are both kinda the same, but would probably trust giganews more.

With Irish ISP test i get 858 kbps and with giganews i get 872 kbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Blaster99 wrote:
    There's been mumblings about the accuracy of Irish ISP test and I have noticed that it tends to rate my speed a bit lower than I actually achieve when I download something. Obviously there's no such thing as unlimited bandwidth so that test site can obviously suffer too.

It seems to rate upload speed completely incorrectly, though. It just gave me a speed of 385kps but I can upload at about 170KB/s, so that's about 1.5Mbps I would think.

This has been talked about on numerous threads.

the speed test is not giving you your _EXACT_ speed.

it's telling you basically how fast your upload/download is to THE SERVER THE ISPTEST SOFTWARE SITS ON

this goes for any speed test anywhere.

web server's all over the world are sitting on different size pipes, so depending on the pipe the mount of other people downloading from the same server etc there is numerous factors to take into concideration which no speed test can possibly do.

so if you want a reasonable idea if what your download speed will be to an irish server on a half decent pipe irishspeed test serves this purpose or just try and download the file and see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

I usually download from ftp.heanet.ie to test my down speed its got a very large pipe line and has always maxed out my connection
    Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I liked their old test, where you could just copy and paste your result from their page,
    this new one is not so good, and I don't remember where I read this, but someone here said that they changed it cause the previous one wasn't accurate enough, well people are complaining about this new one too, so it would be great if they went back

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

peterk19 wrote:
    I usually download from ftp.heanet.ie to test my down speed its got a very large pipe line and has always maxed out my connection
    Pete

In my opinion this is by far the most accurate way to test down load speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Hey,

As people have pointed out it only reports the speed from you to the server it is on. However if everyone uses it as a reference point in Ireland then the speed results should be comparable and therefore give a fairly accurate result. As its java based, depending on what your PC is doing at the time of the test may affect it.

If you want to all test your speed, goto http://www.irishisptest.com/files/

Post the results of the speed of the 3 different files or just one of them.

Paul

TomTom wrote:
    In my opinion this is by far the most accurate way to test down load speed.

Once again, It's the most accurate way to test the down load speed FROM HEANET at that time nothing else....

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Average of 114Kb/s on IBB Breeze 1MB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

(10.79 MB/s) - `20megabytefile'

100mbps FE network :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,590 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

103Kb/s on Eircom home starter for the 10megabyte file.
    giganews : 855 kbps

daveym wrote:
    103Kb/s on Eircom home starter for the 10megabyte file.
    giganews : 855 kbps

which is 104kb/s not much in the difference certinaly not enough to question the accuracy of irishisptest.com

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

flamegrill wrote:

*shakes fist*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

flamegrill wrote:

Only got 10.4MB/s on good old Global Crossing...

Packet exchange

etch http://www.irishisptest.com/files/10megabytefile
    100% of 10 MB 2066 kBps

Tiscalli

fetch http://www.irishisptest.com/files/20megabytefile
    20megabytefile 100% of 20 MB 2543 kBps

NTL

fetch http://www.irishisptest.com/files/20megabytefile
    20megabytefile 46% of 20 MB 352 kBps

• Subscribers Posts: 16,590 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ntlbell wrote:
    which is 104kb/s not much in the difference certinaly not enough to question the accuracy of irishisptest.com

agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Is this a good time to point out that my point was that *upload* speed seems to be the problem area? I've used adslguide.co.uk a bit since I detected the problem with irishisptest.com and it's giving me significantly higher upload speeds, in fact higher speeds that I can achieve myself to the servers I've tested uploading to.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Is this a good time to point out that my point was that *upload* speed seems to be the problem area? I've used adslguide.co.uk a bit since I detected the problem with irishisptest.com and it's giving me significantly higher upload speeds, in fact higher speeds that I can achieve myself to the servers I've tested uploading to.

is it a good time to point out for the 3rd time, this is your upload to IRISHISPTEST.COM - 217.114.173.16 <--that server...and nothing else NO OTHER SERVER ON THE ENTIRE WORLD WIDE NETWORK.

get it?

I think I understand that. About ten years before you pointed it out to me the first time. For clarity I'm not looking for an explanation why it is (as it is quite obvious why it is but thank you again for repeating it), I'm pointing out that for upload speeds Irish ISP Test seems to be way off.

Blaster99 wrote:
    I think I understand that. About ten years before you pointed it out to me the first time. For clarity I'm not looking for an explanation why it is (as it is quite obvious why it is but thank you again for repeating it), I'm pointing out that for upload speeds Irish ISP Test seems to be way off.

what does your isp say your upload _should_ be and what is irishisp saying?

because irishisptest works bang on the button for me on 4 different isp's

• Advertisement

It should be 3Mbps, irishisptest tends to top out at around 800kbps. This being IBB that doesn't overly surprise me, but I'm doing script that does a periodic upload to gather some definitive stats and as I did that, I noticed that I was getting a lot better upload performance than IrishIspTest would have me believe. The speed does fluctuate quite a bit, so maybe I just happened to hit a couple of bad patches with IrishIspTest. But I repeated this test a few times and every time IrishIspTest reported about a third of the speed I was getting when I was doing a file upload.

well with IBB i have much the same problem, or had untill i got the line sorted.

what's the ip of the ftp sever your script uploads too? you can pm it to me if you want

Advertisement