Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally some real speed (of course not in Ireland)

• 07-08-2005 8:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Ok, i´ll start out with that you are allowed to hate me for this ;)

Well people after 3.5 year i finally got some real speed on my internet connection. I did have internet in Ireland, but it was a bit slow

Started out with IOL in Aug last year, got 0.5mb/0.128mb for 35 euro
    Then i went over to NTL 1.5mb/0.256mb in october, that later got upgraded to 3mb/0.3mb for the 45 euro

And now after moving from Ireland i get a "little" better speed

"Sändning" means upload
    "Mottagning" means download

It is supposed to be a 10mb/10mb connection but sometimes it´s a "little" better.

And all for only 17 euro a month :D

Must say that it´s kind of an upgrade from the 3mb with NTL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

XT_Dweezil wrote:

Well people after 3.5 year i finally got some real speed on my internet connection. I did have internet in Ireland, but it was a bit slow

Then i went over to NTL 1.5mb/0.256mb in october, that later got upgraded to 3mb/0.3mb for the 45 euro

"Sändning" means upload

It is supposed to be a 10mb/10mb connection but sometimes it´s a "little" better.

:mad: fu)k off :D

can i come live with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Honestly though you really cant view Sweden/Ireland in the same light!

A good comparison of where Ireland might be in 5years time would be France as it is today.....mabye!!!

Sweden started rolling out fibre/Cat5e more than a decade ago as they knew the internet was about to explode and they were right in that assumption.

Some parts of sweden have 100Mb/100Mb and even 1Gb/1Gb now!!!

So as Ireland(eircom) will NOT in the next 10 years do a major rollout of FTTH...France is what Ireland hopes to emulate in 5-10years.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭BlueShaun

this is what i had before i moved back to Ireland.

Now all i can get is 56k. Its like some form of amputation.

university halls were great, brilliant download speed from newsgroups (just of news, obviously) and great internal speed.

good_ol_days.jpg

Only cost £150 per year too. dial up €360 from eircon. at that price why bother providing broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

im in lanzarote at the moment and i took my laptop,i know the ppl next door and there letting me use there unsecured wireless network and its 11mb down and up with telefonica (spains eircom who also have a mobile network like eircom is going to have again..) anyway it only costs €9 a month suprised because it was such a small island

just shows how far behind we are (ONE OF THE RICHEST COUNTRIES THE WORLD PFFT)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

1huge1 wrote:
    im in lanzarote at the moment and i took my laptop,i know the ppl next door and there letting me use there unsecured wireless network and its 11mb down and up with telefonica (spains eircom who also have a mobile network like eircom is going to have again..) anyway it only costs €9 a month suprised because it was such a small island

and we pay so much for so little aswell.

fcuk you OP youve ruined my day now :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

1huge1 wrote:

Could you do a download speed test please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭XT_Dweezil

zuma wrote:
    Honestly though you really cant view Sweden/Ireland in the same light!

A good comparison of where Ireland might be in 5years time would be France as it is today.....mabye!!!

Sweden started rolling out fibre/Cat5e more than a decade ago as they knew the internet was about to explode and they were right in that assumption.

Some parts of sweden have 100Mb/100Mb and even 1Gb/1Gb now!!!

So as Ireland(eircom) will NOT in the next 10 years do a major rollout of FTTH...France is what Ireland hopes to emulate in 5-10years.

I have the option for 100mb/100mb as well, however they have packet shaping (basically turns off p2p during daytime) so i stayed away from it. The price for that was only 21 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

WTF is the point of these sorta threads... We all know that other countries offer better access, we read it on various news sites everyday ffs...

Woot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

And I don't see whats so great about 1Gb links in Sweden. Thats good for whatever inside the country.

I'm sure they do have lots of international transit, but I doubt enough to be providing everyone with 1Gb out of the country and if they do I'll eat my hat. After I move to sweden.

Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

zuma wrote:
    Could you do a download speed test please?
    some spanish speed test site gave me a download speed of 8mb but thats probably because i wasnt that near the router

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

ohhh you lucky bastrad :D

can you please download this, and save screenshot of the download window?
    http://appldnld.m7z.net/content.info.apple.com/iTunes4/WW/win/019-0312.20050111.MmVrT/iTunesSetup.exe
    and how fast do you download it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Just recently back from my hols (was visiting the gf in sweden). The gf's gaff has a 10mb connection, its costs her 20 euro a month. Bloody madness :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Ditch her m8, what you want is a nice Irish girl with a 56k...not one of them fancy foreign women, can only lead to trouble....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

This thread is a waste of boards.ie hard disk space and bandwidth from ppl opening it thinking it might be interesting. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

WTF is the point of these sorta threads... We all know that other countries offer better access, we read it on various news sites everyday ffs...

Woot

stop posting in these threads then :rolleyes: if a thread is made and there's one proper reply then in my opinion the thread has served its purpose

stop posting in these threads then :rolleyes: if a thread is made and there's one proper reply then in my opinion the thread has served its purpose

Do a little search for sweden and see how many ****ing threads come up about BB access there compared to here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

XT_Dweezil wrote:

"Sändning" means upload

Yeah, I had thee same thing when I lived in Sweden, was great. My girlfriend had a 100mb connection, though that was 35euro per month, but without the packet shaping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Longfordian

I had 8 megs in New York and now am lucky when the modem hits 28k in Longford. i would be better off on Mars.

NASA to send probe in search of water on Mars

Its antenna and solar-powered telecommunications system will send data back to Earth at up to 3.5 megabits per second, fast enough to fill a CD-ROM in about three minutes. The spacecraft can send up to 10 times as much data per minute as any previous Mars craft, NASA said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

i read on a interent..there was a connection between two pc on the net, at 6gb a second.. but it was a link between two pc's at some show.. i think it was satellite.

basically lab conditions...

• Advertisement
Advertisement