Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxing a car woithout NCT

Options
  • 07-08-2005 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭

here's the gen; the mother's old car is nearing the end of it's useful life. She wants a newer motor but wants to hang on until january. The NCT expired a few months ago. The tax disc expired at the end of June so she can tip down to the police station and get a declaration of non-use signed to save the month's arrears-but what are the Tax Office people like when you try to tax the car without the NCT cert?

btw. Online jobbie is no use as you can't use it to tax a car with arrears due unless you want to pay the arrears.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

they wont say anything, or care at all about an NCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭CCOVICH

I think that if she says that she hasn't been called yet, they will let her tax it, but I wouldn't swear to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

They don't look for NCT certs anymore Philip. Seems so many people were failing to tax their cars because they hadn't passed or bothered with the NCT, that there was a revenue loss to the government. So instead of hiring some people to enforce the law (:rolleyes:) they dropped the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Cheers lads! For once the failure of the 'system' is welcome, although I'd prefer to live in a proper country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yep you can tax away..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There will be no problems taxing the car. Also I have never heard of anyone being pulled for having no or expired NCT.

But be aware that in the event of a crash, the insurance company could well use the lack of an NCT as a reason not to pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So are you happy the car is safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Victor wrote:
    So are you happy the car is safe?
    Yeah, had it up on the ramp recently, replacing a weeping brake hose. Gave it the once over. It's just a tired car, 15 years old and low resale value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

BrianD3 wrote:
    There will be no problems taxing the car. Also I have never heard of anyone being pulled for having no or expired NCT.

It only has ever come up in no tax/insurnace cases, it is thrown in as a filler charge, 3 for 2 type charge.

So long as you have tax and insurance you will be ok and left alone.

Advertisement