Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting again

Options
  • 07-08-2005 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hey

I have just bought a new Racer and want to start cycling again. I have just finished Lance Armstrong book and it has made me want to get back on the saddle. I used to be fairly fit but I have not done much over the last 2 to 3 yrs can any one recc a programme to start on. Where is the best place to buy cycle wear too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie at The Square in Tallaght has a wide range of clothes.
    Online I know about BikeDock and Chain Reaction Cycles, both based in Northern Ireland. There are obviously others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Cycleways in Parnell St. have a good selection of clothes too but they're a bit pricey. Another mail order option is http://www.groundeffect.co.nz.

I think the best programme to start out on is:

1. Get out on the bike
    2. Have fun
    3. Repeat :D

If you're for training tips to get fit or race there are millions of articles around:
    e.g.
    http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/2523/V/4/SP/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭GP

Hey dunser

I was in a similar boat to to you. I hadn't been on the bike for 5 years. In March I decided to that it was time to get back on the bike.

I started by riding Tue / thurs for 1 - 1.5 hours and Sundays about 2 hours. I did this for a good few weeks just to get the muscles (and backside) back in action.

Over the past months the only thing that I would have changed really would be the intensity of the rides during the week (as well as adding an extra day OR 2 whenever possible) and lengthening of week-end spins.

The key is to be patient and before you know it you'll be enjoying yourself on the bike again. When I first started, a buddy of myne used to fly by me and I used to wish I was that fit. Now after a few months of progressive training I'm flying past him!

The point is just to go out and DON'T push yourself the whole time. Getting a few friends to go with you also helps on the days you don't feel too motivated.

G

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If you are riding any decent distance, a pair of padded shorts is probably in order.
    A few months ago I bought my first pair - from Lidl for e10. Comfortable.

Last week I bought a pair of Cannondale Summer 04 shorts. Wow, the difference! Much better padding. And considerable tighter. And only e30.
    Might buy myself another pair.

If you don't like the lycra look maybe something like the Gill Freedom Baggies (e36) would be more suitable.

I also recommend getting a bike computer (I have the CatEye Mity 8 (e25). Current/average/max speed, clock, odometer, trip distance. Simple but good. Doesn't do cadence.
    As you watch the odometer climb it can motivate.

Advertisement