Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Community Shield (Arsenal v Chelsea)

• 06-08-2005 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

I'm going with 2-1 Chelsea its going to be a tight game, looking forward to seeing Del Horno, Crespo and SWP, and Diarra if comes on.

Likely lineup:

Cech

Ferreria Carvallho Terry Del Horno

Gudjonsen Maka Lamps

SWP Crespo Duff

Don't think Robben will be risked.

Who is gonna win it 27 votes

Chelsea
    0%
    Arsenal
    44%
    WhiteWashManastrofoolThanx 4 The FishPepe LeFritsTöpherChongGuy:IncognitoThe_B_ManBig Earsjoe.CrowdedHouse[Deleted User] 12 votes
    After ET (Pens) Arsenal
    48%
    PHBMossy Monkelbow316KdjaCLquarrymanThumper LongDraupnirevad_lhorgKevIRLd22ontourRollo TamasiDavei141Spider_Baby! 13 votes
    After ET (Pens) Chelsea
    7%
    jankeirebhoy 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

After ET (Pens) Arsenal
    3 or 4 nil to Arsenal.

Draw 1 - 1 9 - 2
    Chelsea 2 - 1 15 - 2
    Arsenal 3 - 0 33 - 1
    Arsenal 4 - 0 80 - 1

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=show_event_by_markets&chosen_ev_id=501652&category=SOCCER

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

After ET (Pens) Arsenal
    Arsenal to win

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arsenal
    8-1 Arsenal. Terry OG (3), Lehmann, Cygan, Hleb (3). Cygan OG for Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

3-0 Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

After ET (Pens) Arsenal
    3-1 to Arsenal

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

After ET (Pens) Chelsea
    Think a score draw myself

1-1

Reyes - Lampard

Arsenal to win on penos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I,m looking forward to the game. It will be interesting to see how Arsenal play without Viera. It should be a tight enough game but I feel Chelsea have the edge and will win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Arsenal
    That time of year again, I have a tenner on Arsenal only because I got good odds really, don't fancy them much but if they can sneak one then maybe they can frustrate Chelsea ala pool in CL.

Good chance to see some of the new boys too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i think chelsea will win either by one goal or if they get one early then i'd say maybe 3/4 goals are possible.

what time is kick off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

After ET (Pens) Arsenal
    3 o'clock. I think ill go for arsenal in this one, dont know why!

• Advertisement

Arsenal
    Not bothered who wins, I think Chelsea will probably do it though. I'm more interested in seeing what line-up Wenger fields and how they play.

Hoping it will be: Lehmann, Cole, Senderos, Toure, Eboue, Hleb, Fabregas, Gilberto, Ljungberg, Henry, Van Persie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

With the games between them as tight as they were last season, I'd say a draw and someone to win after extra time....not even gonna predict who though.

Arsenal
    Arsenal: Lehmann, Lauren, Toure, Senderos, Cole, Ljungberg, Fabregas, Flamini, Pires, Bergkamp, Henry.

**** sake. When is Wenger going to start phasing out of the likes of Lauren, Pires and Bergkamp, and give others a chance? This is a perfect chance to give the likes of Eboue, Van Persie, Hleb and Reyes a run out against top quality opposition and he picks that team. Grrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Arsenal
    FFS no Martin Tyler I have got to listen to the scotch no it all and the boxing commetator.

Disappointed from a neutral perspective not to see Crespo playing.

After ET (Pens) Arsenal
    What a goal

Arsenal
    Come on you blues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

After ET (Pens) Arsenal
    Going to form anyway Arse trying to play ball, Chelsea incapable of playing ball so sitting back with 9 men behind the ball.

kdjac

Arsenal
    Chelsea lucky to get away with that challenge by Terry on Pires on the very edge of the box, got none of the ball and ran strainght into Pires. Arsenal looking the better at the moment despit the goal down.

Arsenal
    Just been balanced out by Senderos on Robben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Any streams?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Drogba's an ass

After ET (Pens) Arsenal
    Typical Chelsea style
    Arsenal dominate the game, with little penetration.
    Chelsea get one chance, they score.

Senderos looks a little out of depth tbh, like he did at certain points last season.
    Campbell will be a welcome return

Good goal by Drogba, but why does he have to bring himself down with such a petty attitude? That situation with Lehmann and Lauren was something out of absolutely nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

After ET (Pens) Chelsea
    PHB wrote:
    Campbell will be a welcome return
    Campbell was back a couple of months before the end of last season. Wenger wouldn't drop either of the centre halfs to play him though.

Arsenal
    Great goal great composure to get back up and score.

When was the last time the team who won the Charity/Community Sheild went on to win the league?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Think united won the Charity shield in 2000? after the treble year of 1999, they went on to win the league that year too...could be wrong was a one horse race all year tho..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

When was the last time the team who won the Charity/Community Sheild went on to win the league?

I think it was 8 seasons ago??

Arsenal
    SWP comes on it would be great to see him get a goal for his new club against his dads club.

• Advertisement

johnor wrote:
    Think united won the Charity shield in 2000? after the treble year of 1999, they went on to win the league that year too...could be wrong was a one horse race all year tho..
    Chelsea won it in 2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I stand corrected said the man in the orthopedic shoes, unite didnt win it that year arsenal did....united won in 96 and won the league the 96/97 season i think i dunno

Arsenal
    Tha game is getting bit annoying now with all the bloody substitions , feels like an England international.

Arsenal
    Well done chelsea , overly I am delighted that Arsenal are off to a losing start.

After ET (Pens) Chelsea
    Willem D wrote:
    Well done chelsea , overly I am delighted that Arsenal are off to a losing start.

Why?In a few months time you will be complaining that Chelsea are running away with it yet again?
    At least the gunners try and play nice football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

V pleased for Didier, the second goal was class, Makelele is like a man possessed, great performance by him.

• Advertisement

Arsenal
    jank wrote:
    Why?In a few months time you will be complaining that Chelsea are running away with it yet again?
    At least the gunners try and play nice football.
    Zzzzz.

Good game, played in good spirits and enjoyable to watch. The game in a few weeks should be a cracker. You gotta love Fabregas, he's got such spunk :)

Arsenal
    ABA anyone but Arsenal , jank . But for today I am delighted that Arsenal have lost , and I probably will be cursing Chelsea at the end of the season, but today is like the day Liverpool won the CL . That day I was Man U fan cheering on Liverpool but that dosen't make me anymore of a Liverpool fan but I was glad to see an English team win. But when I see Arsenal beaten it certainly makes me feel like I am on top of the moon.

After ET (Pens) Chelsea
    Well at least your man enough to admit where you stand, although I don’t understand the ABA sentiment that sometime resides among fans.
    Interestingly 99% of them are utd fans while the ABU's consist of a more general football fan base.

I may hate Man Utd (for my own reason )but I do have a grudging respect for their tradition, class of the club(this is in question under glazier) and their footballing heritage, something lost among many today...but that’s a discussion for a different day! ;)

Agree with kaids, the game in 2 weeks time should be a totoally different afair. Senderos was poor but he only had his first warm up game there last week so he may be a bit rusty( I may be wrong here though )

Im still waiting for wenger to sign a CM. They are a bit light weight there. Just someone with a physical presence. If they dont sign a CM then im worried that most teams will play a 5 man midfield against arsenal and more then likely over power them physicaly.

Let the season begin....

Gilberto played very well I thought when he came on in the second half. They have plenty of quality in the centre, but maybe slightly thin in numbers should an injury crisis arise. It'll be interesting to see if Senderos gets the nod in the league game in two weeks, he found it very hard going against the size and strength of Drogba.
    Good game overall, nice appetiser before the season.

Arsenal
    Agreed, Gilberto did well. He was a completely different player at the beginning of last season when Vieira was out, he played far better then than i'd ever seen before. Hopefully he can repeat the trick on a consistent basis now.

• Advertisement

kaids wrote:
    Agreed, Gilberto did well. He was a completely different player at the beginning of last season when Vieira was out
    With a broken back no less!
    I think some people have over-stated how much Vieira will be a miss to Arsenal, but they did play some of their best football without him at the start of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

After ET (Pens) Arsenal
    Two very nice kits I must say. That Arsenal kit is lovely.

Havent seen any highlights or anything yet so cant comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I was very dissappointed with Arsenal, they have great build up play and then they no-where.....they need to greater penetration. They seemed like they were waiting for the perfect move before trying to score...it didn't help that chelsea had nearly everyone behind the ball....
    I think there is an over reliance on Henry to bail them out! Would like to see them buying another decent striker (bergkamp is too old, don't care what anyone says..! I thought they were lost without Vieria to stamp out makele in midfield....they gonna find it hard in the middle this season...

Not a fan of chelsea's style.....counter attacking the whole time, then looking for a little ball over the top.....hate it!! Hope someone knocks drogba out what a whinger...

Don't think chelsea deserved it but at least they took their chances....and they defended well with most of their players behind the ball..... chelsea were crap on the wings today...didn't rate them...

Think Chelsea are gonna walk away with the league again this season....my only hope for the season is for LFC to jump up a couple of places hopefully 2nd or 3rd..that would numb the pain a bit..

just my 2c's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I find it hard to look at Chelsea in their new kit now without automatically thinking "Wimbledon".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

After ET (Pens) Arsenal
    hahahaha
    myself and a friend were saying that today aswell

Advertisement