Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(bailey's) cheesecake with malteser base?

• 07-08-2005 12:24pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone help me with a recipe for a cheesecake, particularly a base made out of maltesers. I don't know whether it's just a case of smashing them up and hoping they stick together, or if they need to be bound with something.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭bragan

humm, i hope someone can, because it sounds yummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I'd say if you smashed them up and then put them inside a cake/pie mould in a normal room temperature (:P)room and put a plate with a weight on it on top of them overnight that you would make a base that would stay together that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

You should crush the maltesers, melt 2 or 3 Oz of butter in a sauce pan. When the butter is melted take it off the heat and stir in the crushed maltesers. Place the mixture in the bottom of your chees cake tin and leave to set for about 45 minutes in the fridge. I prefer to use less butter than most recipes tend to state so the base doesn't turn out too hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

wouldn't crushed malt biscuits be a better base, would maltesers really hold together ?
    *shrug*

I think with room temp and the pressure overnight that the base would hold together, I'd be very wary of adding melted butter, but if FX meister has done it successfully then maybe it works, just sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've found recipes with both butter and golden syrup as well as the maltesers. They weren't exactly cheesecake bases, but had roughly the same shape - pretty sick-making I'd say.
    I'll be making it tomorrow anyway, so I'll let you know how it went :)

The majority of cheescake recipies use butter in the base. I tend to use low fat cream cheese to keep the calories down.

I just tried it there, and I had undeestimated the amount of maltesers needed. They also seemed a little dry, so I melted a couple of Twixes in a little butter and added that. It's a thick, sticky mess, sitting in the fridge. Hopefully it will set into something usable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

i usualy use butter to hold the base!!
    hopes it works out for ya!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Hope it works out alright. I guess Maltesers are kind of full of air so when crushed would be quite small. I sometimes use hob nobs for my bases, try that along with some malt powder, could be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

yeh i usually use hob nobs or digestive biscuits with butter!!
    tasty................................
    :D

checked it this morning, and it seems quite solid, although I think the plate I used to keep pressure on it has welded itself to the base :D Doign the top tonight - this has to be the longest baking process ever :)

Pour some boiling water onto the plate, let it sit for a minute then it will slide off.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭MazStar

Sounds yum. Id love to give a try sometime. Could you post the recipe (including the cheescake bit).
    Thanks

Panic! the plate is totally stuck to the base. Hot water isn't helping and when I try to lever it off it all starts to come apart. Any ideas?

I had to resign myself to detaching the cheesecake base from the base of the tin and flipping the plate upside-down then replacing the whole lot in the tin :(
    The top smells nice, but may well be a little on the runny side, although the gelatine still has to take effect. I've a feeling I'll end up eating this with a straw and my fingers, but it should taste like something vaguely resembling dessert.
    Baking was never my string point, and I don't think it ever will - definitely the most delicate aspect of cooking, IMO. I'll take a photo of the sorry mess once it comes out of the fridge :D

Okay, here's how it looked before I took it out of the base:
    before
    side view
    and after I finally manage to extract a slice
    slice-gone (note the embedded plate :D)
    and the appetising individual serving
    slice

I have to say thouhg, it's damn tasty!

I'll post a revised recipe later.

It didn't turn out too bad at all really, perhaps a piece of greaseproof paper between the plate and the base the next time, I wasn't thinking of butter being in the mix when I posted that suggestion.
    You gave it a shot anyway and it turned out tasty, he who dares wins ;)

Greaseproof paper would have been such an intelligent thing to use, and I have a roll and all, but alas.. i'd say given the caramel (from the Twixes) and butter in the base mix it would have held together even without the weight.

So, for anyone interested:

Get about 400g of maltesers, refrigerate them for a couple of hours (so they'll break up and not go mushy) put them in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin. They're quite dry, so you'll most likely need a bit of melted butter to hold them all together.

I hadn't enough maltesers, so I melted a couple of Twix bars (actually cheap Lidl equivalents) in a bain-marie and added those to the maltesers along with a small amount of melted butter. It's quite tasty, but will make the base a little more difficult to slice

Spread the mix over the base of a cheesecake tin, i.e. one with a removable base, and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight. If you go Twixless, put a sheet of greeseproof paper on top of the mix and something of the right shape and size to weigh the base down. If you have caramel in the base you may not need to do this, but if you do, do not just sit a plate directly onto it!

For the top, mix about 300-400g of Philadelphia (or cheap Lidl equivalent) with a cup of brown sugar (this will darken the colour of the top) in a bowl.
    In another bowl, whip about 400ml of cream until it stiffens slightly. If you use a mixer for this, don't leave it on for more than 30 seconds, as it will make curds and whey.
    Slowly add a generous glass of Bailey's (or cheap Lidl equivalent) to the cream.
    Next, make some gelatine mix. This is a bit hard to estimate, as it comes in various forms - blocks, sheets, powder - but I used five sheets (and should probably have used a little more). The gelatine package may give a good idea of how much you'll need. Leave it to soak in cold water for five minutes, then drain off all but a few tablespoons of the water and heat is gently, stirring until the gelatine dissolves and you get a reduced, gloopy mixture.
    Add the cream and Bailey's to the Philadelphia and sugar and mix them slowly.
    Add the gelatine to the mix and fold it all in.
    Pour the creamy mix over the base and refrigerate for at least three hours.
    Cross fingers. Remove. Eat.

Advertisement