Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advertising

• 07-08-2005 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else fed up with the amount of advertising involved in films these days? I'm not talking about just product placements in films, they're OK, but I've seen them be over the top a lot. I've seen people say that not having them in films is out of the question, and if you said it to a producer in Hollywood they'd just laugh at you, but really, I've come to kind of be able to predict what films will have them, and which wont. And in my opinion if its a good, well made film, it wont have them. Those piece of **** new Bond films are covered in them for example, and the iPod thing in Blade Trinity, jesus.

That isnt what really bothers me, what bothers me is when you pay good money to go see a film and have to sit through about 15 minutes of ads. And not movie trailers, which is understandable, actual ads. I've noticed that on a few DVD's, they have trailers for other films on there before the film. This is mostly rental ones, but I've seen it on a few that I've bought. How long untill they stick ads on DVD's too?

What really pisses me off is those annoying anti-piracy ads they stick on there that you cant fast forward through. I notice that in the Spider-man 2 DVD case, they have both an anti-piracy leaflet, and on top of that, a big leaflet of all the toys that you can buy. Thats actually kind of funny, because I think one of the biggest advantages of downloading a movie, is that within 2 mouse clicks you can be watching it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Product placement in films is becoming a problem, in my opinion, when it wasn't really one before. It was truly ridiciulous in Blade Trinity as you mentioned, but that film was rubbish anyway, so who cares? The worst example I have seen is I Robot, a film that was really hurt by it because it wasn't bad to begin with. The blatant way that he showed off his Converse 2004 edition was laughable, as were the Audi symbols that were EVERYWHERE. I believe this is becoming more present because of people being able to avoid ads with the use of DVD players, etc. This is going to get worse before it gets better.

As for anti-piracy ads on DVDs, that doesn't really bother me all that much. Just stick in the DVD and then have a glass of water or do anything else to occupy yourself for a minute or two. When you come back, your film should be ready for you. That isn't that big a deal.

Cinema advertising is getting pretty bad over here, but thatere was a big long thread about that recently, so I'll leave it alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Remember in Minority Report with Cruise going into a Gap and there being a big, obvious Ben & Jerry's sign in the backround? That was completely over the top. I'm sure there was lots of other crap in that film. Oh yeah, the whole Lexus thing. I don't mind product placement as long as I can't really tell it's there.

In Donnie Darko you see a blockbuster ticket in a key-tray but the blockbuster ticket is a version that wasn't out in 1988 so it shouldn't have existed in Donnie's time. And when you watch the commentary the director becomes all sullen when he's talking about having to put it in even though he wished he didn't have to. He said that, "Everyone plays the game (refering to product advertising)." I guess that's true these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Yeah I'd like to see if the things like the 2004 Converse were always intended to be in the film.

Product advertising is fine in films, untill you notice it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Kazaanova wrote:
    That isnt what really bothers me, what bothers me is when you pay good money to go see a film and have to sit through about 15 minutes of ads. And not movie trailers, which is understandable, actual ads.

I concur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Kazaanova wrote:
    What really pisses me off is those annoying anti-piracy ads they stick on there that you cant fast forward through. I notice that in the Spider-man 2 DVD case, they have both an anti-piracy leaflet, and on top of that, a big leaflet of all the toys that you can buy. Thats actually kind of funny, because I think one of the biggest advantages of downloading a movie, is that within 2 mouse clicks you can be watching it.
    The piracy ads really annoy me too. We bought the freakin' dvd, who are they trying to preach to??

• Advertisement
Advertisement