Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Loading Bays

Options
  • 07-08-2005 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

Anyone know exactly who can use the Loading bays? I was in my commercial van last week during business hours looking for a spot and saw a guy getting into his van and leaving the loading bay. I zipped over to it but before I knew it, this auwl one in her Toyota Avensis parks her car there. I went over and told her this was a loading bay to which she replied, "I'm waiting for my husband, I'm collecting him"....

I said This is a loading bay for commercial vehicles to which she once again replied "I'm collecting my husband". I said to her could she not pull back and wait on the double yellow line as the road was wide and you would not get clamped if your in the car, but she was having non of it and refused...

I'm a bit confused, was she allowed legally to stay there as she was in a way 'loading her car' or could I have told her to feck off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

If you pay commercial tax on the vehicle, then it can park there, for the max time that's on the sign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Haha, we Irish seem to be getting more and more ignorant these days.
    I suppose you could have said yeah, it's not a "waiting for husbands" bay or a "I'm just quickly popping into the chemist, I'll only be 5 minutes" bay. I suppose she'd probably just have ignored you after that.

I'd bet any money she sits in the overtaking lane on Motorways doing just under the legal limit and refusing to move over, specifically because other people shouldn't be going any faster than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I know what I would've done!! Say nothing and stand beside her - pick up mobile - dial a bogus number - "Hi, my name is IrishRover, I'm on the quays and trying to deliver to xxx - there is a reg xxxD blocking the loading pay.

That would move her. Checky so and so .. picking up her husband!! Indeed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

We are getting extremely ignorant as a nation and its getting worse and worse. Now I'm not going to shout from the roof tops here I too have been accused and rightly so of the odd ignorant moment but thats in the past.

Hillarious thing i noticed while driving from Tallaght to Blessington earlier today. Just before Killanarden (i think anyway) after you pass fruitfield there is a lane to go left at a set of lights into said estate and two to go straight. The middle lane going straight has a bicycle lane in it and hundreds of times I've had a wheel in it completely forgetting its there today a car ahead of me beeping like a mother f***** at a cyclist for driving in the middle of the road!!!! He was in the cycle lane the poor chap!

I know where you're talking about - its a bit of an odd place for a cycle lane though. Not v. safe - confirmed by the twat beeping :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

hold ona second, you weren't loading or unloading near by you just wanted to park, and because you were ina commercial you wanted to use the loading bay as a parking spot, leave the old dear alone she beat you to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A loading bay, if its classified as such, is for commercial vehicles only and usually for no longer than 30 mins. Yer wan should have been blasted out of it!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes you were right, Ando

I like the fake phone call solution, bubby :)

hold ona second, you weren't loading or unloading near by you just wanted to park, and because you were ina commercial you wanted to use the loading bay as a parking spot, leave the old dear alone she beat you to it
    But the old dear didn't even have a commercial! She was only picking up her hubby .. and she didn't know that ando wasn't delivering truck loads of heavy bricks to a nearby business or not.

Old Dear -1
    Ando +1

Safe it be known that the rules of the road are written for some of us - old dears can write their own personal set of rules and becuase of their "old dear-ness" they get away with it.

I bet she had Nora Batty tights on too!! :eek:

[Edit] I know what happened - Hubby was at the booser and he was loaded! Hence parking in the loading bay!

Old Dear -2
    Ando +1

Still weighs in Ando's favour

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ando wrote:
    Anyone know exactly who can use the Loading bays?
    Commerical vehicles when actively loading / unloading.

Non-commerical vehicles when actively loading / unloading will usually get shooed out.

Any one else is instant enforcement.
    I said This is a loading bay for commercial vehicles to which she once again replied "I'm collecting my husband".
    She obviously considers him baggage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

thanks for straightening that out. Next time I’ll give ‘em hell ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

bubby wrote:
    I know where you're talking about - its a bit of an odd place for a cycle lane though. Not v. safe - confirmed by the twat beeping :)

Yeah agreed its very strange. Its on the path all the way up to that point so I dont see why they didn't just leave it on the path rather than bringing it onto the middle of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

To be fair though, from reading the initial post Ando was only looking for somewhere to park so he wasn't using the loading bay for loading.
    In the long run he was probably going to inconvenience someone loading/unloading more so than her because soon as her hubby came she'd be off. Whereas Andos van would still be there.

And not one of you can tell me they never illegally parked, be it in a loading bay or parking bay without paying, while waiting to collect someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Ando, if you were actively loading and/or unloading your vehicle, you are entitled to stop on a double yellow line to do it if there is not a more suitable place to stop, just like any other vehicle. If you were not, you had no more entitlement to use the loading bay than she did.

Jip wrote:
    And not one of you can tell me they never illegally parked, be it in a loading bay or parking bay without paying, while waiting to collect someone.

oh so true ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Well,

Assuming Ando DID want to load/unload something.
    I would have parked up beside her, blocking her in, and taken as long as possible to go about my business, inconveniencing her.
    I bet she thinks she has rights to bus lanes if she is turning left a half mile (0.804672 Km) up the road :mad:

Honestly, the holier than thou attitude on this thread is unbelievable. Because the woman is waiting to collect her husband suddenly she becomes Irelands worse law breaker.
    Prospect, make sure you don't take more than a half hour 'inconveniencing' her. And if you tried it on me, your van better carry two spare tyres :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Jip wrote:
    Prospect, make sure you don't take more than a half hour 'inconveniencing' her. And if you tried it on me, your van better carry two spare tyres :p

LOL,
    Jip, vans com in handy for, ahem, disposing, of those who interfere with them... :p:p

I don't think she is the worst offender at all. But as far as she was concerned there was a van there that required the use of the loading bay, which is specifically and explicilty provided for that purpose.
    Same goes for someone parking in a disabled parking space. They should not be there, and if they do just pull in, and a disabled person approaches them, they should move without question or hesitation.
    Ditto bus-stop, taxi rank, bus-lane, pedestrian crossing, private access, yellow box etc.

P.S. If she stopped for 5 mins, and nobody approached her to move or nobody genuinely needed to use the bay, then I personally would have no problem with it.

Able bodied people parking in disabled spaces really bug me. I'd park in a taxi rank just to annoy taxi drivers though seen that they seem to think they can park or stop where ever they want.

Regarding the use or loading bays, it doesn't really bother me and since I regularly pick people up in the city centre I make great use of the loading bays ! Generally most deliveries and collections are done by early morning anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

alias no.9 wrote:
    Ando, if you were actively loading and/or unloading your vehicle, you are entitled to stop on a double yellow line to do it

where are you getting your info from? I've seen vans being moved along by garda bikers when doing that

• Advertisement
Advertisement