Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless network

• 07-08-2005 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just got a wireless router, and 2 USB wireless adapters to network two computers. The adapters are set up no worries, and there's no internet into the house as of yet. But I can't get the two computers to talk to each other. There is a signal being transmitted, but they can't see each other. I was just doing somer eading, and based on that, if I have a USB adapter plugged into both computers, and the router into one of them, is that going to create a problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Do both PCs have the same workgroup name? If you have a firewall, does it block traffic through the 192.168.0.x range?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Hey,

Just got a wireless router, and 2 USB wireless adapters to network two computers. The adapters are set up no worries, and there's no internet into the house as of yet. But I can't get the two computers to talk to each other. There is a signal being transmitted, but they can't see each other. I was just doing somer eading, and based on that, if I have a USB adapter plugged into both computers, and the router into one of them, is that going to create a problem?

Thanks
    You dont actually need to plug the router into a computer.
    The router sends and recieves wireless signals.
    It can also act as a bridge and send and recieve data on its wired ports.
    With this information, it is a simple matter of deciding what to do.
    You can either plug the router into one computer via a wire (ethernet) and connect the other computer to it through the Wifi.
    Or dont plug either machine into the router and connect both through the Wifi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Aidan,
    Both PCs are setup on the same workgroup, and for the time being I've disabled firewalls. Also yesterday we installed service pack 2 on both machines, to no avail.

The current situation is,

I've dissconnected the router from my computer, and left it plugged in, and turned on in the living room, more or less equidistant from both computers. The USB adapters are telling me they can see the network, but when I open up "My network places" I can't see the second computer. the one other thing I've noticed is both systems keep telling me they can't renew their IP addresses whenever I try to repair the connection...any thoughts?

Bacically they can see the wireless network, and apparently connect to it, but they just can't see each other.

Advertisement