Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'89 Starlet Electrical Problem.Help Please!

Options
  • 07-08-2005 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I've had the Starlet for 6 months now and its given me no problems, until now. Its passed its NCT, has only done 80k, and was owned by a "one careful lady driver" until I bought it,so its in good condition. I only use for short trips, into college,etc, so I haven't used it much.

Basically the battery kept losing its charge, to the point where if I turned the key, the ignition lights wouldn't even show up. I presumed it was a battery problem, so I bought a new battery. This is was 3 months ago, and everything was fine until 2 weeks ago when the same problem happened again. The battery was flat. I brought it to the local garage who said that there seemed to be nothing wrong with it, only that the battery clamps weren't providing the best connection.

That was Friday, and now the same thing has happened again. The mechanic checked all the electrics, and couldnt find any problems, so I'm not that bothered going back to him.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could cause this problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I would expect this is have been spotted but perhaps the alternator is in need of revival. They do wear out, the alt is what powers the battery as it runs off the engine so if it goes the battery goes. The battery warning light should be showing (assuming its working).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You might have regulator problem. It might be slightly undercharging your battery over time. Have you got access to a voltmeter? Does the battery light come on at all? (I'm presuming not, otherwise you'd have said).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

If your mechanic checked over the car then he more than likely checked the charging rate .You possibly have some current draw draining the battery when the car is not in use . The only way to check this is with an Amp meter connected in series to the positive terminal of the battery.you would be amazed how many mechanics dont know how to do this check . It could be an old alarm system or a stuck relay but an amp meter will pick it up .

Advertisement