Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL to upgrade customers to 10mb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

Wonder is that only in the UK for the time being? Hmmm. Great move by them regardless, the way is should be really. Fast downloads but payin for utilisation only. Say the guys with NTL will be waiting/drueling for that to be implemented :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

pugleon wrote:
    Wonder is that only in the UK for the time being? Hmmm. Great move by them regardless, the way is should be really. Fast downloads but payin for utilisation only. Say the guys with NTL will be waiting/drueling for that to be implemented :)

I hope they do ! but who knows :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

pugleon wrote:
    Wonder is that only in the UK for the time being?

NTL Ireland have NOTHING to do with NTL UK anymore.

paulm17781 wrote:
    NTL Ireland have NOTHING to do with NTL UK anymore.

True, but they said that the last time, and thier upgrade went ahead !

Drapper wrote:
    True, but they said that the last time, and thier upgrade went ahead !

a) They were still owned by NTL then.
    b) They upgraded in response to Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There will be no price rise, but customers will pay different rates depending on how much is downloaded, says Bill Goodland, NTL's internet director.

I don't like this part. The trend should be away from metered access, not towards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭fightin snr

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Who stoles my megahertz >_<

Maybe we'll have more than 16KB of RAM soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I'd leave NTL if they implemented this - I DO NOT WANT METERED ACCESS. 2mbps is plenty fast enough to get 100GB worth of files in a month but I'd say 100GB would cost more then the 3Mb offering from NTL. I don't like it at all - it's not proper BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I'd leave NTL if they implemented this - I DO NOT WANT METERED ACCESS. 2mbps is plenty fast enough to get 100GB worth of files in a month but I'd say 100GB would cost more then the 3Mb offering from NTL. I don't like it at all - it's not proper BB.

I'm sure people will be allocated a fairly big bandwith allowance and only over the allowance would be charged.

for a 10mb for 50e I wouldn't mind this, it keeps all the warez monkeys at bay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Its interesting that NTL are implimenting this....but I dont think Chello Ireland Cable Broadband(UPC/UGC Internet Operations!) will be following NTL anytime soon.

Yes people.....this has ABSOLUTELY NO effect in Ireland...!!!

zuma wrote:
    Its interesting that NTL are implimenting this....but I dont think Chello Ireland Cable Broadband(UPC/UGC Internet Operations!) will be following NTL anytime soon.

Yes people.....this has ABSOLUTELY NO effect in Ireland...!!!

You know this after your conversation with VP of operations with NTL?

there's a very high posibility this will follow in ireland like previous upgrades regardless of the ownership of the network.

time will tell but don't be making silly assumptions with no proof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

No-one's going to offer true unlimited bandwidth. Bandwidth costs money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The crowd taking over NTL Ireland have publicly commited to upgrade the network quickly and role out comparable speed products to those listed in the link..

You are a little dramatic Zuma..

The crowd taking over NTL Ireland have publicly commited to upgrade the network quickly and role out comparable speed products to those listed in the link..

You are a little dramatic Zuma..

I'd be interest to know where you got this information mate? my undertanding of improving the network was replacing the shoddy coax cables all over the country!

But as seen, after the company was taken over, they have tended to copy the UK speeds.

Also, as many have pointed out they call themselves the providers of the fastest Home BB pacakages in the country, I believe in Dungarvan you can get 12mb to the home on coax. I hope they try to regain thier BB crown :-)

Drapper wrote:

Also, as many have pointed out they call themselves the providers of the fastest Home BB pacakages in the country, I believe in Dungarvan you can get 12mb to the home on coax. I hope they try to regain thier BB crown :-)

keyword there is provider, i think the one guy who lives in dungarvan who they could provide to thinks the net is what he catches his dinner in is.

ntlbell wrote:
    keyword there is provider, i think the one guy who lives in dungarvan who they could provide to thinks the net is what he catches his dinner in is.

lol, or the interweb as I've herd it called!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

ntlbell wrote:

tehfunneydied.jpg

another article:- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/08/ntl_broadband/

i wonder if houses are cheap in Chorleywod!

Stephen wrote:
    tehfunneydied.jpg

Sadly people over the age of 12 use "teh funny"

Sensitive culchie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Ooh, hit a nerve did I?

Stephen wrote:
    Ooh, hit a nerve did I?

Yes that's the question,

are you a sensitive culchie? was a nerve hit by the joke......

see?

While you two bickering is highly relevant to NTL upgrading their broadband speeds. Could you both please stop or take it to PM where I don't have to read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Stark wrote:
    There will be no price rise, but customers will pay different rates depending on how much is downloaded, says Bill Goodland, NTL's internet director.
    I don't like this part. The trend should be away from metered access, not towards it.
    But if, as the article below says, they're upgrading everyone's speeds for free then imho it's fair enough - as long as the amounts are 'reasonable'*.

It suits me to get a whopping download speed, but pay less because I don't use huge bandwidth. After all ntl have to pay for the bandwidth - so it's no surprise that is passed onto the user.
    tbh another way of looking at it is : Why should all the average users subsidise bandwidth whores?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/08/ntl_broadband/ :
    Details of other packages on offer including prices have yet to be published. But it seems that the cable company is to give all its punters 10 meg access and then charge them according to usage rather than speed.
    Suits me Sir.
    Significantly, I hope the upstream increases to 1Mb to match.

causal

*what is 'reasonable' can be debated long and hard. But imho it's important whether or not the likes of digital tv, and VoD services are to be included in the bandwidth - presumably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

NTL won't upgrade, you will be plagued by slow internet access all teh time.

John

I made TEH SUBTLE funneh

Lump wrote:
    NTL won't upgrade, you will be plagued by slow internet access all teh time.

John

I made TEH SUBTLE funneh

source?

Drapper wrote:
    I'd be interest to know where you got this information mate? my undertanding of improving the network was replacing the shoddy coax cables all over the country!

But as seen, after the company was taken over, they have tended to copy the UK speeds.

I have read it in a few occassions.. Currently NTL are testing gen 2 of whatever tech they use for BB over their cable network for widespread roll out.. The new crowd suggested that they would skip straight to version 3 where possible.. I cannot find anything concrete to be honest.

I found this in the Ireland Offline forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3163438&postcount=3

He obviously read something similar to what I did..

Drapper wrote:
    source?

He is trying to be an asshole.. Ignore him..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

ntlbell wrote:

You're talking b*****ks there son! Check their site: www.cablesurf.com
    Probably one of the best cable systems in Europe. :p

Advertisement