Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSLsync Loss

Options
  • 07-08-2005 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,just wondering if you can help me out as Eircom doesnt think its there equipment + ive tested it seems to be the linksys router\switch.
    I have 3 computers connected to my network at home,these all are connected to a Linksys BEFSR81 (acting as a switch) the switch in turn is connected to Ericom dslmodem(Netopia 3341.The computers recieve their IP address through DHCP on the dslmodem the switch I have manually assigned its IP address 192.168.xx.xx.
    Now any time a phone call comes in or out it disconnects the dslsync on my dslmodem.I tried plugging one of the PC's directly to the modem instead of through switch and the problem stops,I tried 2 PC's connected directly to the dsl modem(1usb,1ethernet) and problem stops. So my thinking is something between dsl modem and BEFSR81 is conflicting and is casuing my problems.
    This is v annoying specially as when remote connection keeps on disconnecting.
    Any help or pointers would be great thank you
    BTW Firmware Version of Linksys is 2.50.2
    Eircom is 7.4.2r2

EDIT : I have tried it also with a Linksys WRT54G it also has the same disconnection of DSLsync as my BEFSR81

This makes me think settings are wrong on dslmodem or switch?
    Please any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

If your line is only dropping out when the phone rings in or someone makes a call thats a splitter/line issue.

See if you can borrow a friends splitter and swap it for yours and see what happens when you make a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

i used old splitter and the new one still doesnt work

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Do you have a dsl filter on every phone point? Any point which has a phone attached must have a filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

azezil
    There is only One phone point within the house. There are two ways of splitting the line. a little white box that eircom installs has an inbuilt filter.Or I can unscrew the front of it and use one of the beighe lil splitter things either way the dslsync fails

2nd)
    Did u go to Tippinst by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bloke

When you connect your PC(s) directly to the netopia, are you still using the netopia as a router (PC assigned IP by the netopia) or are you running a PPPoE connection direct from the PC(s), with the Netopia in "bridge mode". If the latter is the case, it could be either:

1. Netopia PPPoE implementation is less noise tolerant then your PC's one
    or
    2. Actual h/w problem on the netopia

If you don't initiate PPPoE direct from your PC, and the netopia functions as a router even when directly connected - it's a bit of a mystery! Do you have a friend with a netopia you could swap to see if the problem follows it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement