Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dvd trading website legal questions...

Options
  • 07-08-2005 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of creating a dvd trading website of sorts ... yeah I know .. been done before ... but what I'm curious about are the legal implications.

Just like "boards" it would be possible that people would use it to trade in illegal dvd's ... not pay if someone sold a dvd ... so on ..

What are the legal implications of buying a Region 1 DVD and selling it here or are there any ?

does anyone know the legal implications on the creator of the software

On the Hoster of the website ?

Is a disclaimer enough ? its not possible to police something like that 24 7

Thanks for any responses

MOD please note if this is the wrong room for a post like this apologies and please move it along to an appropriate room

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You would be best advise to seek legal advice from a solicitor.

Anything anybody posts here is going to be personal opinion and not fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

blacknight wrote:
    You would be best advise to seek legal advice from a solicitor.

Anything anybody posts here is going to be personal opinion and not fact.

Just because you don't know doesn;t mean no one else does :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Just because you don't know doesn;t mean no one else does :rolleyes:
    When it comes to legal matters would you trust some $random person on a forum or a trained solicitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

:D ... well I've read a few interesting posts people have made before on here quoting paragraphs of the law ... and as this is a non profit / fun venture the budget is non existant :P so a solicitor is out of the question :P

I hadn't actually thought about these implications until a friend mentioned it to me ... and it really got me wondering ...

The idea is similar to the Shop Section on here ... only more tailored to just dvd's ...

Has boards ever come up against any hastle in relation the shop section on here ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

I had a similar idea a few months ago.

The legal issue shouldn't be a big one so long as all you are doing is allowing people to connect with others for the purpose of negeotiating a private contract. A bit like Ebay in that regard, the contract is between the seller and the buyer and not with the auction (or trading) house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Isn't that technicially what napster was ??

A way of two people getting together to share their music .... only most of the music was copyright.. ? and therefore it was deemed that napster was enabling this to go on ... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

error9 wrote:
    Isn't that technicially what napster was ??

A way of two people getting together to share their music .... only most of the music was copyright.. ? and therefore it was deemed that napster was enabling this to go on ... ?
    thats a bit differnt though because napster was sharing with a community of unkowns - setting up a dvd trading site would involve two specific people making a trade with each other. Blacknight is right - u need to talk to a solicitor on this one - and more than likely a solicitor that deals with technology and the internet. There are many sites like this that have been operating for years without been taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

axer wrote:
    There are many sites like this that have been operating for years without been taken down.

such as.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I thought of doing this a while back, but it's a legal minefield. It doesn't matter whether you're doing it for profit or for fun, if the studios think they're losing one penny out of it - and they'll think that whether they are or not - they'll sue you into the ground. You'd be right, and if you ran with it you'd win, but are you willing to put your life and soul into it? Because you'll have to.

adam

Advertisement