Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Loud screeching when I turn on the engine

Options
  • 07-08-2005 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

When I start up sometimes there is this very loud ungodly wailing screech from the engine, just for a few seconds and then it stops and carrys on as normal.

This doesnt happen all the time either, just the odd time, mostly when its been idle for a day or two, but sometimes it happens after its been sitting cold for just a couple of hours.

Brought it to a mechanic but the feckin thing didnt do it when he was there so what could i do...

Anyway anyone any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Check and tighten the Alternator/power steering belts

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

ive often heard people mention that its the timing belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If it was the timing belt it would only do it once:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

long shot, but it might be the starter motor solenoid not retracting the gear from the flywheel. When the engine catches, the switch should cut power to the solenoid, retracting it. Depending on the car and the location of the the starter, you might find that the shaft of the starter is a bit gummed up, slowing it's release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

Any rodents trapped under the hood? Have you noticed any missing kittens lately :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

CJhaughey wrote:

I would second the above guess

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Just after the noise stops, switch on your full headlights. Does the noise return? If so, it is probably the alternator belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

tighten it.. You'll prob notice it also happens in the wet.. Pour some water on the belt with the car running & you'll prob hear the same noise..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 rarryboily

its the fan belt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

CJhaughey wrote:

Yep this was what the problem was with my car the last time I had this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

rarryboily ... They stopped powering fans off the engine about 10 years ago.. Most (if not all) are battery powered these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

jayo99 wrote:
    rarryboily ... They stopped powering fans off the engine about 10 years ago.. Most (if not all) are battery powered these days.
    When my father's motor factor was still open, everyone still refered to any serpentine belt as a fan belt! One of those legacy things. Only if it was a seperate belt (eg an AC compressor belt) would they specify it, otherwise it was "fan belt for a...."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

I have 4 "fan" belts in my car

Alternator
    Waterpump/Cooling Fan
    High Pressure hydraulic pump
    Centrifugal regulator for clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Gandorf

I had a similar problem with my car about 6 months ago, load screeching when starting from cold. It turned out that the timing belt tensioner was knackered. Replaced it and all was well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I'd guess it could be the water pump.

Happened to a Passat I had. Atabout 40k on the clock it developed a big squeal on startup. The water pump was worn out.
    More recently (at 110k) there was also a big knashing and grinding on startup which was the starter motor not engaging with the flywheel so that gave a different noise.

In my experience squealy fan belts and the like would be audiable at more than just starting the car up

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

It is more probably the "fan" belt needs adjusting or replacing, when starting the engine the belt slips on one of the pulleys hence the screeching noise, it will only screech whilst the belt is not fully engaged with all pulleys once the pulleys start to revolve the noise will disappear.

If you are taking it to a mechanic ask him/her to also check the bearing in the water pump, if this was on the way out it would make the pulley stick for a moment before revolving with the belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I have 4 "fan" belts in my car
    Centrifugal regulator for clutch.

Centrifugal regulator for clutch

That's a new one on me, pls explain the function & operations.

otherwise, I'll go with the slipping belt on the "banshee" problem.
    Timing belt, it ain't they don't scream, you scream.

however, on cars with seperate belts for AirCon, PS, etc you'd have to check them all.

Advertisement