Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Slayer Drummers...

Options
  • 07-08-2005 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭

Who truly belongs in Slayer? (not gonna include Jon Bette, only there for the covers album!)

My vote goes to Lombardo, some of his immense beats are just amazingly creamy and fit perfectly with the other lads music.

Who belongs... 30 votes

Dave Lombardo
    0% 0 votes
    Paul Bostaph
    100% 30 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Paul Bostaph is gone because of his elbow isn't he? So Lombardo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

He has indeed, but I've heard a good few people say that he was the perfect drummer for Slayer rather than Lombardo, hence the poll...man am I bad at phrasing things or wha?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

Definitely Lombardo. Isn't Bostaph with Exodus now?

nah mate he ain't (i think...). As far as I'm aware the injury he sustained put him outta the job perminently...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Geiger wrote:
    Definitely Lombardo. Isn't Bostaph with Exodus now?
    no he is with them.....

and by the way... FU(KING LOMBARDO the man invented metal drumming... hell the fuker inventeed metal before that it was just rock metal black sabbath and sh!t but after lombardo started metal changed forever

• Advertisement

Damn funkin' straight Steoob! Sure he is THE bar for all metal drummers and has given countless of 'em many many ideas to work with, for example a certain drummer from Slipknot...
    Very proud to claim that he's one of my main sources for inspiration these days.

On a side note, I recommend a couple of remo falam slams instead the evans AP patches that yer drummer be usin, far more durable and a bit punchier!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Fu(k that sh!t sven, although lombardo is the superior drummer this is not who is the better drummer forum.Lumbardo although totally exellent does not make up beats that fit in as good as the ones bostaph does i mean everyone will remember lumbardos pure agression and speed but bostaphs drumming patters make the songs sound better, flow better and are way more memorable.However if this were for who is the better drummer id say:

Lumbardo all the way :D

I dunno there...songs like Seasons and Skeletons just wouldn't be the same without Lombardo drivin it along, also two songs with the pure aggression takin a sidestep for fuller sound.
    The one song I will give Bostaph his dues for is Unguarded Instinct, now that's a memorable beat!

I dunno there...songs like Seasons and Skeletons just wouldn't be the same without Lombardo drivin it along, also two songs with the pure aggression takin a sidestep for fuller sound

yea well no song is gonna be the same with a new drumer, for instance if lumbardo played on god hates us all it would have been a totally different album.

in my opinion lumbardo and bostaph play two totally different ways

Bostaph= totally origional drum paterns emphasising on making everything else sound cooler.

Lumbardo=pure motherfu9king speen and power emphasising on making everything else sound more agressive.

Still i way prefer bostaph, no disrespect to dave.

reign in blood is the best album of all time imo... if you just listen to the drums its the best half an hour of your life and i dont see how his beats dont fit in with the songs if there was something wrong with the way they sounded til bostaph came along that would mean that noone liked them til then which is... ahem... eh not true... ok lets look at it this way say i agree with you that ostaphs beats fit better lets give him 9 points for beats and 6 as a quality drummer.... giving him 15 points (just follow me on this im tired so im talking thru my arse) ok and lets give lombardo 8 points for beats and 10 for quality as a drummer..... so ya hes got 18.... ehhh i cant really remember where this is going.... ehhhhh LOMBARDO :p

• Advertisement

o and btw barry the forums actually who belongs in slayer...my opinion.. dave

Steoob wrote:
    o and btw barry the forums actually who belongs in slayer...my opinion.. dave

yea as in who belongs i.e. who fits better cause whoever fits in better belongs. also dave has issiues playing with slayer and being away from his family and sh!t he never really fitted in with the band properly in the last 10 years off the stage and this is well known.If bostaph didnt **** up his arm he would still be in slayer and everyone knows it.

also as regards to your points system id give bostaph a 10 for beats and an 8 for drumming ablility while id give dave an 8 for beats and a 10 for ability so there really even matched drummers.

Patricide wrote:
    yea as in who belongs i.e. who fits better cause whoever fits in better belongs. also dave has issiues playing with slayer and being away from his family and sh!t he never really fitted in with the band properly in the last 10 years off the stage and this is well known.If bostaph didnt **** up his arm he would still be in slayer and everyone knows it.

also as regards to your points system id give bostaph a 10 for beats and an 8 for drumming ablility while id give dave an 8 for beats and a 10 for ability so there really even matched drummers.
    well theres different aspects of belonging theres different aspects of drumming... its everyones opinion.. wah... go online man

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Red Soup

well my 2 favourite drumming slayer songs are disciple from the god hates us all album (savage fills from bostaph) and gemini, which i think lombardo drummed, and is even more amazing than disciple. as well, the band always wanted lombardo back i thought, maybe i'm wrong, but he seems to be the man who rules the roost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭veryslowey

what a dense question to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

(not gonna include Jon Bette, only there for the covers album!)
    Jon Dette never played on any slayer albums
    and gemini, which i think lombardo drummed
    That was bostaph

They're both excellent drummers but I think most people would prefer the drummer behind the stool when they initially got into slayer.

I think bostaph is a fantastic drummer but lombado gets the nod for me - I grew up with Reign In Blood and Seasons so I'll always feel that lombardo's the real slayer drummer

I thought Dette was the one who played drums on Undisputed Attitude revileandy?

Also veryslowely, there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

We all know that Lombardo belongs with Slayer, he is the more proficient and experienced (in a Slayer sense) player, therefore he is much more suited than Bostaph.
    Paul Bostaph however, is the more technical of the two. He was amazing to watch, and definitely added a new layer to Slayers already complicated sound. The production on his drums definitely characterised him as a heavy and brutal drummer. Listening to his feet and hand interaction on both Diabolus in Musica and God hates us all, you can certainly gain an appreciation for him. The large depth toms matched with the bell brass piccolo alluded to his contemporary Death metal compatriots!
    Its Bostaph for me though,every time...

Hmmm you do raise a good point...but technicality always plays second fiddle in drumming IMO.
    Also is it my imagination or is the entire production different after Lombardo left, or was it because they went over to American?

Red Soup wrote:
    well my 2 favourite drumming slayer songs are disciple from the god hates us all album (savage fills from bostaph) and gemini, which i think lombardo drummed, and is even more amazing than disciple. as well, the band always wanted lombardo back i thought, maybe i'm wrong, but he seems to be the man who rules the roost
    ive always loved the drums for gemini but the only the couble bass parts for diciple are the good parts the rest is pretty mediocre.. but look at raining blood... imo the best drumming song of all time.... i dont really see how bostaph could have written a better beat... the first double bass is insane... then the awaiting the hour of reprisal bit is just serius pants creaming drums and the insane bit at the end in the solo he is sheer brutally nd he made slayer... and as for du-du-dunnn which im assuming he made up... am i right? well i think that speaks for itself... come on... du-du-dunnn hehe that IS slayer

• Advertisement

Amen Steoob.

DUN DUN DUNN!

Amen Steoob.

DUN DUN DUNN!
    ne-ne-ne-ne...ne-ne-ne...ne-ne-ne :D

DUN DUN DUNN hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Both great drummers to listen to, in terms of a who belongs in Slayer sense Dave was one of the original original original founding members, himself and KK IIRC.

Both fantastic drummers playing different styles, so its down to personal opinion. Myself, I side with Lombardo because of the albums he was on (and hell, anyone can write and play drums for Fantomas is a God!).

However, bands change. There is no correct answer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Steoob wrote:
    ne-ne-ne-ne...ne-ne-ne...ne-ne-ne :D

DUN DUN DUNN hehe
    rofl i caould read/hear that perfectly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

its abit of a no contest,dave lombardo was there at th start and was a better drummer and suited more because he was better at the thrash style of drumming.thats not saying that paul bostaph was not a very very good drummer but its got to be dave all the way for slayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Lombardo - deffo for me.. he was always my favourite. although bostaph did a gret job for them too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭veryslowey

I demnad the 3 mongs who voted bostaph be named and shamed

I agree whole-heartedly, show the heretics to us!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Lombardo is fantastic, but Bostaph was brilliant too during his time with Slayer. And now he's joined Exodus, who incidentally have the best name for a forthcoming album ever - Shovel Headed Kill Machine.
    Reminds me of Evil Dead era Bruce Campbell, which can never be a bad thing!

• Advertisement
Advertisement