Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick city centre (Urban Renewal discusion and updates)

Options
  • 07-08-2005 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Ok,

I have decided that the city centre deserves a thread of its own purely on news, arcitecture and opinions such as , the city not having a cinema etc , traffic, other , entertainment, and social issues....

And Also for views and comments relating to the inner city Pedstrainisation and developments and the positive and negative effects that are in the city as present.
    Comments should be genuine, and feel free to express your views of what the city centre should be as a needs attention. or what is appealing etc..
    I was on archiseek, and I found information about the huge development planned for the the city centre,(around Patricks street) I hope to see stuff posted here too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Good idea, mysterious.

A cinema would be fantastic for the city centre. It would be great if someone revamped one of the old ones like the carlton cinema. Maybe they could put one in in that new development on Michael Street that the Limerick Post mentioned (http://www.limerickpost.ie/dailynews.elive?id=6566&category=Daily-Fri)

Even if they only had about 6/7 screens it wouldn't matter, as long as they showed good quality films and ran a good show it would do well I'd say.

I read this week that in England and Wales they have decided to grant 24 hour licences to pubs and nightclubs so it is up to the discretion of the management when to close. I think this is a common sense measure, and think it would be good if the Irish legislature followed suit, because it would end the crazy situation of everyone pouring out of the nightclubs at the same time at the weekend and our towns' and cities' streets resembling a scene out of some zombie film at half 2 in the morning with the "vomit and a fight, alright night" brigade looking for fights with other ****, because with the new arrangement the different pubs and clubs would close at different times so there would be less pressure on the streets and taxis and everyone could go home safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I also think it would be good if UL located one or two faculties in town, I think cities with universities in their centres such as Dublin and Galway generally have a good atmosphere during the term time that I think Limerick lacks. There are some students in UL whose only experience of Limerick outside Castletroy is the bus into Trinity Rooms, I just think that it is ridiculous that so many students would go to college in a place without bothering to get to know the city they're studying in.

I don't know if this is the right place to put it, but today I read an article by Mark Townsend, writing in today's UK Observer newspaper what is easily the least flattering piece I’ve ever read about Limerick City entitled ‘One-way ticket out of Stab City’.http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1544218,00.html

I read it on a link from this blog: http://aliveinlimerick.blogspot.com/

Your opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

gaf1983 wrote:
    I think cities with universities in their centres such as Dublin and Galway generally have a good atmosphere during the term time that I think Limerick lacks.

Art College
    Mary I

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

gaf1983 wrote:
    I also think it would be good if UL located one or two faculties in town, I think cities with universities in their centres such as Dublin and Galway generally have a good atmosphere during the term time that I think Limerick lacks. There are some students in UL whose only experience of Limerick outside Castletroy is the bus into Trinity Rooms, I just think that it is ridiculous that so many students would go to college in a place without bothering to get to know the city they're studying in.

I don't know if this is the right place to put it, but today I read an article by Mark Townsend, writing in today's UK Observer newspaper what is easily the least flattering piece I’ve ever read about Limerick City entitled ‘One-way ticket out of Stab City’.http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1544218,00.html

I read it on a link from this blog: http://aliveinlimerick.blogspot.com/

Your opinions?
    id say most people who go to UL know limerick fairly well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

gaf1983 wrote:

That article is a disgrace! It portrays Limerick as a hell hole!! I like the way that he failed to mention any of the goos points of the city!

One of the best universities in the country or even europe.... with one of the best sporting facilities in europe. Hence, why some olympic teams will be training here for the 2012 olympics.

Our great sporting hertitage in the city... Limerick being the heart of rugby...

Our hurling team getting to the quarter finals of the All Ireland, putting us into the top 8 teams in Ireland...

Did ye know that limerick are 4th in Ireland for having to most All Irelands (7), behind, Cork (28), Kilkenny (27), and Tipperary (??)... :D

I hate these narrow minded journalists who take all the bad things from our city and blow them up out of all proportion...

He said people are afriad of being attacked?? Im not... because I know that those people are keeping to themselves... No innocent people are being dragged into their problems....

Rant over.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Not to mention the wealth, the diversity and history of the city
    with so much different architecture within the city. and yet so much smaller than most cities , that they compare us to , ie Glasgow :rolleyes:

I'd love to know who posted that onto the paper, he probaly comes from Glasgow and hes desparetly trying to drive the media attention to across the water to Limerick LOL only to realise the shannon reflects it back :D:D
    so what! , hes probaly never been here, which is typical of a mindless journalist. :D

Poor England can't solve there own social problems, :rolleyes:

whats goin up on Micheals street?
    what do ye think of the new city development plan on the Patricks st , Rutland street area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 phonemonkey

Wasn't there also a recent survey that said that people from limerick are some of the happiest in the country. Its just typical that people see the negative about the city and not the positive, Ive been all round the world and I think limerick compares favorably with most of the cities ive seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭spinalsly

Wasn't there also a recent survey that said that people from limerick are some of the happiest in the country. Its just typical that people see the negative about the city and not the positive, Ive been all round the world and I think limerick compares favorably with most of the cities ive seen

ya that was in the limerick leader a few weeks ago, what ye think will the pedestranisation of bedford row will be like. tbh i have a feeling it will be a flop because all they have there is a shop, a womens clothes shop, a cafe and a barber really, when the new development at the savoy is done there better be sum good shops etc to get people to use that street! i dont think it will be ever as succesful as cruises street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

What would people think of a small permanent funfair (like a mini funderland) in the city center! Just out of the way of any aparts or whatever, but close enough for ppl to go toi then walk and get a burger king head into HMV etc... Whats ur opinion??

¿

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

What would people think of a small permanent funfair (like a mini funderland) in the city center! Just out of the way of any aparts or whatever, but close enough for ppl to go toi then walk and get a burger king head into HMV etc... Whats ur opinion??

¿
    no offence mate but that definetely wouldnt work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

What would people think of a small permanent funfair (like a mini funderland) in the city center!
    Yep, 'twould act as a magnet for all the city's less palatable citizens. It would either have to have strict security patrolling constantly, which nobody likes, or else it would be a free for all, which nobody likes.

It would get people off the streets and doing something... if they had the right to refuse and a security system similar to that in place at funderland, that shouldnt be the problem... it could act as more of a long term thing...

it would get ppl off the streets and get them active...
    bring ppl into the city...
    increase in local tourism!

its in torrevieja in spain and works great, with a little extra security ... y couldnt it work in ireland???

the theething problems are easy to sort out... anyother thiings which may make it a bad idea are apprecitated. because i still havent found a question without an answer... but i know they must be out there!!! :-)

In relation to the city centre , there is pictures on Limerick city centre pedstriamisation on, www.archiseek.com website, and the thread is what about the developments popping up in the shannonside :) quite cool pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Thats a pretty good read actually. Its hard to get a decent perspective on Limerick, even after living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

How in Gods name did so many taxi ranks appear in Limerick in the past few weeks? They must have a good lobbyist in city hall. There is scarce enough parking in the city besides having these half empty ranks taking over even more space. Was that plan presented to the public beforehand? I'd love to know who sanctioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

They are after getting half of William St again, Thomas St is now one continous taxi rank as far as i can see. Can't be good for traffic.

Y cant they act like real taxi drivers and drive around looking for people???
    Is this the only country where they are the most unpolite, indesent workers going?

Whats with beeping when they get to ur house? Park the damn car please and ring the doorbell, if i'm carrying a bag ... help me with it! I tell ya if a taxi company ever gave a regular service, i would use them anyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Drico

gaf1983 wrote:
    I just think that it is ridiculous that so many students would go to college in a place without bothering to get to know the city they're studying in.

And they are usually the first ones to knock it.

Drico.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I agree to an extent Drico but how do we change that perception?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Drico

We can start by challenging the rubbish spoken about the city and its people. That Observer article was outrageous in its hatchet job on the city. This quote is staggering, for example:
    So numerous are the inhabitants who carry the white wormy scar from a knife blade that Limerick's enduring monicker remains Stab City.

Incredible stuff and factually incorrect. That despicable term was a result of a few high profile cases in the city in the early 1980s. Like any cruel term of abuse used to belitte something or somebody, it stuck. Yet, the drivel written above is printed in a supposedly reputable newspaper.

The only stabbing going on here is by a journalistic hack and his pen.

I've lived in Limerick all my life. Yet, to believe the media, we are all under seige in Limerick, living in fear of our lives. I'm sorry, but any trouble in the city is generally confined to very few areas and touches very few people.

Drico.

• Advertisement

Ok,
    I would just like to make more awareness to all people.
    Enough of reacting to the ill minds of some journalists! :mad:

As so much is happening in this city.
    It would be a great contribution and support if there were more Limerick people, architects, developers, supporters alike and people who wish to know more about this city (in a positive aspect),
    It would be a great boost to see visitors and views on a related thread (below) that has a range of information on the city of Limerick and a wide view of pictures of the past present and future,
    It’s also a place where you can express your opinions on architecture; new developments, planning matters and what you think should pop up in the Shannonside, ;)

There are also issues involving the needs, major proposals and controversial projects popping up, which some are of significant interest.
    The more views the more actions and results.

> This thread is along similar lines to the linked thread below (City centre) (new stuff happening in the city)

> www.archiseek.com (this website is for news on architecture and developments in Ireland)
    >(What about the developments popping up in the Shannonside) the Link for Limerick region.

This benefit of this thread is to create a more positive view on the city and followed by more positive feedback etc, which is often neglected by the Media. So its up to the People of Limerick to change what’s it been bombarded e.g. crime, Stereotyping, blundering and the battering Media.
    Therefore, it’s like changing it into positive media.
    I hope new things can sprout on that thread and elsewhere and takes thing to a whole new level.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=3946&highlight=limerick

the person that mentioned archiseek should have gotten up off their arse and looked for the relevant link. anyway here it is.

As there was discussions earlier about the new shopping mall that is going to be built, It would be great to see some information and updates here :)

Thanks Billy for the link , the lung is important for the body, :D

Has anyone have any idea when the street improvemnets and paving starting?

http://www.limerick-leader.ie/issues/20050917/news07.htm

was just reading this in the leader website, here is hoping that planning permission is granted, not only for the regeneration of that pert of the city, but for the 1,000 jobs it will bring.

personally I would be nervous about too many people and companies depending on Dell to keep Limerick's economy going, so the more opportunities that are not dependent on Dell which come into the city the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭spinalsly

this is going to be brilliant, i hope it will be like st stephens green shopping centre in dublin, would be perfect

Either brilliant ... or, could take from a city athmosphere

http://www.limerickpost.ie/dailynews.elive?id=6727&category=Daily-Sun

more news for the city centre. couple of statues being banged up and John's square to be pedestrianised. and given those little footlights that can be seen around the new dunnes and taits clock.

well if we can drop a rock on a plynth and cal it a monument, i guess we can have a statue for Pope John Paul II i guess.

well if we can drop a rock on a plynth and cal it a monument, i guess we can have a statue for Pope John Paul II i guess.

The treaty stone is a maojor part of Limerick's history! Its not just some stone, please be respectful!

its a rock

anyway if they want to commemorate/celebrate the treaty of limerick they should put it somewhere where it will be seen either in the city centre or in a place where the treaty was actually signed as opposed to where it is now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Billy, with respect, it's more than just a stone.

When the rest of Ireland was defeated, Limerick held out, valiantly. When Sarsfield eventually realised the situation was untenable he signed for peace. 3 days later French re-enforcements arrived, Sarsfield refused to break his word. With Sarsfield and the other Wild Geese in exile in France, the English broke theirs. Some 40 years later, when an Irish regiment fighting for France defeated an English army, their battle-cry was "Cuimigh Ar Luimigh" or "We Remember Limerick". They sought revenge for the dishonour the English had done to Limerick, and Ireland. That stone turned the fate of Ireland, it recalls a time when Irishmen rode through the night to destroy British supplies, it recalls a time when Limerickmen risked certain death to destroy bridges to save their city and a time when St Mary's Cathedral doubled as a gun tower for cannons. It recalls a time of horrible and heroic endurance.

Advertisement