Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick city centre (Urban Renewal discusion and updates)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

The rock is where it is because it is beside the bridge where many lost their lives fighting. In the backdrop behind the stone is the River Shannon and Medieval Limerick!
    Personally I think its a great position!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The rock is where it is because it is beside the bridge where many lost their lives fighting. In the backdrop behind the stone is the River Shannon and Medieval Limerick!
    Personally I think its a great position!

see even limerick man agrees its a rock :D

really though i do think that there could be a better place for it to go than where it is, its a bit out of the way and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Id go on a weekend to Limerick, Galway, Waterford or Dublin a few times a year and i have often seen loads of trouble in dublin, more again in galway but never any in Limerick.

welcome to the forum balmed out.

I have retitled the thread and stuck it for a while to see how it goes for updates and discussion on the redevelopment of the city centre.

Balmed Out wrote:
    i have often seen loads of trouble in dublin, more again in galway but never any in Limerick.

Just wait! Its not like Dublin and Galway have major problems (well not Galway anyway), same as Limerick does have some problems.

Everywhere has problems, I'm sure if you were out here every night and you went to a rough part of the city... at some stage you would come across trouble!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

Treaty Stone is well over rated. With the best will in the world, its not much of a monument. It more than likely isn't the rock the treaty was signed on. Personally i think they should move the Statue of Patrick Sarsfield from St John's Cathedral Grounds to a more prominent position. Also more commeration of War of Independence heroes would be appreciated. I may hate DeValera, but dammit he was a Limerickman, some commeroration would be good.

My bad, i didn't read the article, thats exactly what they are suggesting with Sarsfield and i think its a wonderful suggestion. However it would be important to make sure he is positioned so he is pointing to Ballyneety

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

He may be famous for actions in Cork but hes a Limerick man and one of the most successful war of independance leaders we had: Liam Lynch. Also sick of commemorating 1916 and never the war of independance which seems a bit more important. Think he was head of the ira in the civil war but that shouldnt sour his memory so much anymore.

Liam Lynch was great during the War of Independence , he was born in Anglesboro i think, which is indeed in Co. Limerick, however my main problem with him is that is mainly due to him that the Civil War was prolonged, longer than most of the Irregulars wanted it to go on. It was only after Lynch was killed that the Civil War really ended.

however i agree, the Easter Rising is touted up, but it was a failure militarily speaking, the War of Independence is way under commemorated in this country, however this is probably due in part to the Civil War, and opposing views of who should be commemorated between Fine Gaelers/Fianna Fáilers.

Well also it was 1916 that brought it all together ... also the war of independence is tied closly to the civil war, so i guess they just wanted to stay away from contrversy!

• Advertisement

Well also it was 1916 that brought it all together ... also the war of independence is tied closly to the civil war, so i guess they just wanted to stay away from contrversy!

i wouldnt exactly say that. the boys in 1916 were ****ed out of it by old ladies wanting to collect their pensions at the GPO during the rising

but there are other forums and threads for irish history, i would ask that people stick to the main topic of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

I think the city centre needs to be moved to include the river more. Anyone know what's going into the site where Jury's was? Another hotel? There're a few sites opening up along that side of the river. It'd be great to see some commercial units going in there. Then they could maybe put in a boardwalk out over the river.

Thats a good idea, also i think those flower pot holder things on the side of the bridges .. they should hold like punkins for halloween, trees for christmas, snowdrops etc. after that ... u get me.. always have stuff off them.
    Because they look horrible when there are just left bare
    Ya, another hotel is going in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hailtothechimp

Cardinal wrote:
    I think the city centre needs to be moved to include the river more.

Though there has been much made of Limerick turning its face to the city, the results of recent development have been patchy in this regard. Sure, there are plenty of new buildings by the Shannon's banks (and Riverpoint should be a great addition), but a lot more could be done to liven up the area from Sarsfield Bridge to Steamboat Quay. Apart from Clohessy's and Milano's there's nothing until you reach Schooner's et al. This is a serious under-use of an area that could be very lively and thriving if there were more reasons to go down there at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Firstly i don't think its a good idea to build commercial buildings across the river, the city is already quite spread out, some of the traditional streets need to redeveloped. I'd love to see some more development on Nicholas Street and down to Baal's bridge, connecting the Castle and St. Mary's to the city centre, giving a bit of life to the area.

At the base of Riverpoint they are installing a bar and restaurant, I'm enthuastic that this development will finally lad to a unified "riverfront" feel to quay. Admittedly the Garda carpark and the ESB are pretty much dead space but I imagine the ESB building will be bought and knocked soon soon enough.

The old Jury's site is being developed into another highrise hotel and apartments, probably a bit too tall for my liking, and I'm nervous that they won't replace the old memorial on the corner, but to a degree it's a positive development for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

There's some great public space down in that area, by Claws and Milano. If there were a few new bars and restaurants down there it could become an excellent atmospheric evening location. That could be reinforced by some seating out by the river and some stalls.

At the moment it's totally under developed, dark and dingy. The steps down from Sarsfield St. at the side of Pier One could be an interesting feature but instead they're half lit and ugly.

There may be movement on the ESB building now that it has been bought by the bank of Scotland. The Bank of Scotland already have a site in the city centre on o connell street in the form of the Ulster Bank.

?!? ... plus the bank of scotland own the bank of scotland ... also in the city centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Does anybody know what is going into the big site on Denmark St, just up from Nancys? The hole is so deep it could be Limericks next 50m pool

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

bodies, oh yeah, lots of bodies

Finns are building a new pub, think it's for 300 people. Can't wait til it's built. Should be a great new addition to Limerick's nightlife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

There was rumours about the eircom building and ESB building being knocked or refurbished a few months back,

there is a building adjacent to it anyway that is up for redevelopment can't put the name on it , its been a while since i was up that way,

there was a huge advertisement relating to the Abbeycourt development on the Baals bridge side where, amazotheamazing was talking about a bit about..

well there is quite a cluster of development kicking off there
    Grove island also and the Barringtons- ( is that building got any tenants yet?)

also a derelict building on Marys st is been replaced with 20 apartements which has been granted recently.

also the Denmark st pub (is is flannerys?) is going to be a three storey pub , quite big replacing the old one

And I totolly agree with the Sarsfield street area itis more centrally located than the Riverpoint(a success) and Dock road in terms of city centre and is really in need of attention. I don't see ehy investors should avoid this area?

, i e , like Dunnes stores beside the sarsfield bridge , :mad: i really get annoyed by them
    a prominet prime city centre tract of land that is currently a heap of ****e
    that should be unoficially bulldozed who agrees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭spinalsly

ya i agree with that old dunnes site on sarsfield street

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pleuraXeraphim

Not a fan of these big super pubs. They are putting all the other smaller places out of business. They are usually characterless places and only have a decent crowd on a Saturda and if they are lucky a Friday. The rest of the week they are empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I think it would be great if all the news and stuff relating to new shops, international stores coming to the city as there is a huge amount of stores coming to the city...

For example, is tk Max moved to limerick yet I was talking to a guy from Dublin and he said it opened up in Castletroy?

The Georges units what’s going in there? I heard elverys are moving around there any update on this

As for River Island, I do Know that this stores has been looking for a bigger store in Limerick that is suitable, but I don't think River Island is moving out to the Jetland, as they have a new unit in the Crescent SC??? Could this be again a rumor?

This has been really bothering me, and its bloody Mark&spencers area they even interested in moving here despite all the gossip...

They have opened up a dozen shops around the country with one even in Galway
    Mark&spencers interest here is rubbish I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Well TkMax is located in the retail park between The Parkway and Singland Motors on the way out to Castletroy, along with PC World, Currys and a few others.

I reckon a lot of big retailers are slow to move into Limerick. Things have only picked up in the last 2 years. Strange considering how rapidly the population of Limerick and surrounding areas have grown.

One very annoying thing while on the issue of chain stores, neither of the Argos here in Limerick are classified as Argos Extra stores, meaning that you cannot get certain items direct from these stores. You have to either go to an Extra store (Cork being the nearest I think), or else wait a few days for them to bring your order from an Extra store to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mysterious wrote:
    For example, is tk Max moved to limerick yet I was talking to a guy from Dublin and he said it opened up in Castletroy?

TKMax is next to Curry's, HomeBase and PCWorld in the Parkway Retail Park on the Dublin Road just off the Parkway Roundabout, they have been there for almost 2 years now.

http://www.limerickpost.ie/dailynews.elive?id=6799&category=Daily-Thu
    New shopping street, similar to Cruises street is planned for the area of town near bedford row and Shannon Street.

• Advertisement

Is that good news or bad news?

Advertisement