Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick city centre (Urban Renewal discusion and updates)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

sioda wrote:
    i already see cork passing us out with all there new buildings on the river lee

As anyone who has ever lived by the lee and by the Shannon the Shannon is a much nicer and smells better

as someone who has lived by both id beg to differ

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

riverpoint taken last night

25-11-05_0314.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

riverpoint taken last night

25-11-05_0314.jpg

lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

was there really need to quote it
    anyway ive never been to the top of the riverpoint or clarion wonder what its like
    though i did stay in the clarion once never bothered to go to the top

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

you can go up the clarion if your not staying there but you get quite a bad view as most of the area around there is in a bad shape

• Advertisement

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/1129/health.html
    Plans for new adare hospital unveiled, with video.

wouldnt it of made more sense to make it at another part of the city say near the tipperary road or something because adare is fairly near the regional right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

1huge1 wrote:
    wouldnt it of made more sense to make it at another part of the city say near the tipperary road or something because adare is fairly near the regional right?

its a private hospital so it doesnt really make a difference where it is.

oh i didnt know it was private thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

High Rise isn't something you can throw up just anywhere, Ballymun is an example of where high-rise went horribly wrong, Limerick doesn't need that.

High rise should be contained to; retail, offices, hotels etc. Irish people like a garden and you have to share that in a high-rise; we all know that that can cause trouble.

I do believe high rise (well archtecturally designed) buildings look well on a riverside, especially when well lit at night.

On the other hand, Dunnes on Harvey's Quay is a disaster; why??? i hear you ask. The Answer. It needs to be painted regularly, windows cleaned regularly (the upper floor windows in this city are a disgrace. Look up the next time you walk along William St. or O' Connell St. or any street for that matter). We all know that Dunnes are stingy (Industrial relations anyone!!!!!!!!), they will not keep painting that building pretty!!!
    Steamboat is becoming delapitated as Section 23 runs out down there, though, the commercial units down there ar great

And you only need to look at the trouble that the proposals for the Ryan caused. High-rise is fine in the CC - it simply does not belong in "leafy suburbia"

I can't see big retail moving into the city centre. I work in CC retail part-time (I'm a student). It's getting really quiet over the past 18 months. Any large retailer in the city has made people redundant just to stay open. Even big business like BT, Roches, Boots, Penneys aren't as full as they used to be. You'd want to be mad to open a Curry's or TK Maxx in the City Centre. The rates would eat all hopes of profit. (We need that boundary extension)

There's not enough parking, because people are awkward and won't use public transport. I can't wait 'til on-street parking is banned in the CC, it's downright ugly. there's plenty of opportunity for Limerick to have "park and ride" or even "park and walk". There's a perfect space for a multi-multi storey carpark at the old Dawn Dairies site on the North Circular linking to Clancy Strand. It's perfectly situated on the Condell ana NCR. A developer could easily put up a "well Designed" (possibly Glass Coated á la Riverpoint) car park to accomodate upto 15,000 cars.

Anyone heard anything about a 10,000 seater conference centre on the Docklands. I think it'd be great if we could beat the Dubs outta Citywest. If we could get a complex with somthing of that size, we be talking International conferences - that'd be great for Limerick!!!!

Anyhow I've rambled on long enough

"Cuimhnigh ar Luimneach"

• Advertisement

could'nt agree with you more
    high rise should stay in the city centre and slowly move out
    high rise does not belong in the suburbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mimix

Does anybody have links to the plans or artist impressions.

Cheers

Edit: Added all streets involved

its contained somewhere in this thread on archiseek
    http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=3946&highlight=limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mimix

its contained somewhere in this thread on archiseek
    http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=3946&highlight=limerick

Thanks for that Billy, Supposedly and according to Archiseek there are no online diagrams yet, but when there is they will be first to deliver it to the masses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

What's on the development front for Limerick for 2006 after a thriving 2005! never ending invesatment and sprouting of cranes. some noticeable amout of building going on King's Island btw.

The canal plan is coming on and should be speeding along this year
    Corbally link got the go ahead to build its final link to the dublin road.

Limerick as a hole is to get a noticeable amount of funding from the NDP for the critical infastructure etc.

The surronding towns such as Mungret, Adare, Croom, Newport, Sixmilebridge, Castleconnell are all booming with housing developments along with other County Limerick towns

On the city side there will be the Henrys Street, Carlton developments and the Royal which will add to the attractiveness of the city centre as a hub and of course attract more big retailers.
    Bedford Row and Ennis road developments are also well underway
    Phase 2 of the Riverpoint is getting underway, with a 10 story apartment block which will blend in well to the existing Riverpoint tower.

The main highlight in the city for 2006 will be the Rutland/Michael street areas
    More info on this on this link: http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=3946&page=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

mysterious wrote:
    Limerick as a hole is to get a noticeable amount of funding from the NDP for the critical infastructure etc.

Brilliant! Quote of the day! :D

IB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Not to mention the building of a Gaelcolaiste, the new Art college campus, the Munster training facilities at Singland, new hotel opposite King John's Castle, new Greyhound stadium, (hopefully) improved Thomond Park, new shopping centres in Annacotty and Coonagh, new facilities in Mary I and LIT. 2006 should be a great year for Limerick.

Any details on the new building beside the Abbey bridge? Someone said the Markets Field stadium was being renovated, any ideas to what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Inge Binge wrote:
    Brilliant! Quote of the day! :D

IB

LOL...

Looks like after the delays due to the hard rock discovered under the punches hotel site, the thing is finally going up. the Liftshaft can be seen over the site fence, and there must be two or three stories gone up already.

won;t be long now the Garage at punches cross will be coming down. havent been up the dock road yet to see what the progress on the former top shop site is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 shane2005

new hotel opposite King John's Castle,

Any details on the new building beside the Abbey bridge? Someone said the Markets Field stadium was being renovated, any ideas to what?

What hotel- that idea died years ago?

building by abbey bridge is gael school plus talks of a hotel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

The hotel across from KJC is a dead duck there is talk of a private medical centre going onto that site but all of it will be held up till the land ownership at the bottom of that site is sorted out. The derelict building next to Katy Daly's has also been purchased

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 shane2005

sioda wrote:
    The hotel across from KJC is a dead duck there is talk of a private medical centre going onto that site but all of it will be held up till the land ownership at the bottom of that site is sorted out. The derelict building next to Katy Daly's has also been purchased

I thought there was a story that foreign affairs were being decentralised there. opposite KCJ- where would they park their cars is another issue.
    THe site next to Katie Dalys is sold almost a year now- mention of a cafe but no sign of anything happening.
    This used to be the infamous Maoist Bookstore back in the 70s. Shot at and had garda protection I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Has anyone ever proposed padestrionising O'Connel street?, it could be paved with slabs and could have some kind of monument as a centrepoint. Love or hate the spire in Dublin its great to have something large to represent the centre, look at all the tourists that hang around there and use it as a meeting point. I think some kind of modern arch over the street, would have to be spectactular to work and draw tourists. On car free day cars are blocked from using O'Connel street and i never heard anyone complain about this it worked fine. The city centre is small why do people need drive through here. Another thing to be tackled is the rubbish, the streets are filthy this is a fundamental problem. William street is especially bad theres ****e all over the place everyday and the chewing gum shows up really bad here. Ever travel abroad and then come home and be shocked by the filth, it belongs in a frank mccourt novel. Its the people that are the problem here, they need an attitude change something drastic. Why do people litter its because its more convenient than to go to a bin, fine them to make it worth their while. I suggest litter wardens giving on the spot fines. They should enforce this by taking the persons picture before approaching them if they wont pay up or give their real name their picture should be posted in the paper with requests for their identy off the public.The post could have a name and shame page instead of out and about!! The fine should be sent to them and if they dont pay... court. Ok this maybe a bit extreme and impractical but something to get peoples attention needs to be done change peoples attidude. If someone lit up in a pub, people wouldnt be long telling them stop this should be the same when people see someone litter. Anyway sorry for this rant went on longer than expected. BTW Im workin up in Dublin now and would love to be proud to be from Limerick but im not really, hopefully that will change!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Yeah, O'Connell Street is on the cards, but it'll be open for buses etc.

for any fans of high rise there is a big write up in the Leader this weekend about the high rises along the river, with loads of images. highly recommended. I tried to scan one or two images from the paper but they turned out crap.

heres the article. if anyone is able to get better quality scans of the pictures that would be nice.

HighRiseByTheRiverside.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

An engineering firm in town has the contract for the hotel near King John's Castle. I'll check and see if it's still happening.

RiverPoint1.jpg
    taken to day. tower looks complete

RiverPoint2.jpg
    Other side of river point with the ugly building behind the Garda Station now demolished

LightsonBridge.jpg
    I think these lights should be a permenant feature on the bridge.

Also work on the tunnel will start in march.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

They also have some nice white lights down by Clohessys which would also be nice if all the trees on the riverside were lighted permanently..would make it a lot brighter(obviously)l. Some nice buildings popping up at the moment. That bible centre by Costelloes is nice as well. Looking forward to whats happening in Jurys and the old Savoy. Nothing could be as bad as what the Savoy was.

LightsonBridge.jpg
    I think these lights should be a permenant feature on the bridge.[/QUOTE]

Advertisement