Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick city centre (Urban Renewal discusion and updates)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

Thats a good one! A tram in Limerick! They are not able to provide a roughly decent bus service with a separate bus lane and they suggest a tram? Those big vehicels who run on rails? Where are they going to place the rails? What road is big enough to provide space for them?

Ok, I've been in Lisbon and there it is working in small lanes. But they provided those lines there long before the car traffic became havy as nowadays. So people are used to it there. And I have my doubts that people would be happy to see a tram going through ennis road at 4.30 in the afternoon. :D

IB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Think the idea is that they use as much as possible existing/unused rail lines. Wouldn;t be that costly/obstructive if that was the case. God knows the streets in the city centre are wide enough and when the tunnel is finished a lot of through traffic should be removed from there. Wasn;t there a feasability study in to a LASER system (Limerick and Shannon Envirnment Rail) recently enough.
    The Shannon link is vital. If Willy O'Dear stopped posing for crap photos he could get the finger out and push for something like that. He has until summer 2007 before elections..would be good if he actually achieved someting worthwhile instead of more bad press for the city.
    Also i think the old county council offices on Crescent are to be part of a major project in that area including that area behind it on henry Street with the Red Ribbon project mural.Supposed to start very soon as well focussing on the Henry St side first. Heard high quality apartments and office space maintaining the building fronts on the Crescent. Also heard a small hotel as part of it but think that might be changed now. Once the building fronts are restored it could be good. Same for the Opera house centre. once the georgian fronts are restored carefully..

Inge Binge wrote:
    Thats a good one! A tram in Limerick! They are not able to provide a roughly decent bus service with a separate bus lane and they suggest a tram? Those big vehicels who run on rails? Where are they going to place the rails? What road is big enough to provide space for them?

Ok, I've been in Lisbon and there it is working in small lanes. But they provided those lines there long before the car traffic became havy as nowadays. So people are used to it there. And I have my doubts that people would be happy to see a tram going through ennis road at 4.30 in the afternoon. :D

IB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Inge Binge wrote:
    Where are they going to place the rails? What road is big enough to provide space for them?
    Actually with the pedistrainization O'Connell street could have trams running along it fairly easily, at the moment there is 3 lanes plus one for paring and foothpaths on either side of the road, the will probably keep one lane and one for bus parking, increase the size of the foothpaths, and there would deffo still be enough room for a tram and stops along there!

A pedestrianised O'Connel Street would be great! But a tram running only until THE BANK would be a bit useless, right? Because after the Bank there are only two lanes up to raheen (and a tram to raheen would make sense).

Sometimes someone has to think a bit more far then "Great, yes, we bring a tram to Limerick" - someone has to check the reality! To get a real tram network in the inner center of town you have to pedestrinise all the city centre to have space for the tram. To run it efficent you need two tram lanes: one for incoming and one for outgoing traffic. Just one line is useless! And you need enough room to bring the tram around a bend (was just thinking of splitting the lines for incoming and outgoing traffic around arthurs quai and patrick street). Don't forget the terminal loops at both ends of each line.

What routes does Limerick need? I'd say a main route is from caherdavin to UL either via shannon bridge or new bridge and another one from corbally to raheen. For the other parts of town then the not used busses should provide a proper service.

BTW: when do you expect this to happen? In 2010? In 2020? Never?

IB

• Advertisement

yeah around then, actually i'm guess it would have to go off the beaten track to get to raheen, it would probably serve Greenfields area two, and go behind the houses there, there used to be a walkway there but now its been closed off! So city centre and then again from Green Fields to the cresent is simple, its inbetween there and then after the SC where you need to work on the idea

Artists impression of the Opera Shopping Centre, from the Limerick Leader. It is pretty crap though, but it is the only one availible aparantly for the moment

OperaShoppingCentre.jpg

Opera Shopping Center? Opera? Are we getting an Opera House?? :eek: Did I missed something? Where is this going to happen? Drawing looks like somewhere in upper O'Connel street, right?

I mean, real Opera? Not always only Nabucco, Aida and sometimes the inevitable Gilbert&Sullivan in UCH? Looking really forward. That's exciting news!! :)

IB

According to the Limerick Leader article, it is being called the Opera Shopping Centre in honor of an 18th century opera singer from Limerick Catherine Hayes.

It is to be the biggest shopping centre in munster at 42,000 square metres, and is to be located around patrick street, bank place, denmark street area.

it is being called the Opera Shopping Centre in honor of an 18th century opera singer from Limerick Catherine Hayes.

Why not "The Catherine Hayes Memorial Shopping Center"? An absolutely misleading and almost out of context name: "Opera Shopping Center". :rolleyes: Everyone would expect an Opera House attached. Or the SC attached to an Opera House at least :D I don't call my bedsit "The Limerick Diocesan Church Organ Centre" just because I'm able to play this instrument.

But thats our Limerick...

BTW: she lived in the 19th century ;)

IB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

well it looks a whole lot better than the run down buildings on Ellen Street at the minute. Good to see them keeping the fronts of buildings as well. Hope they restore the front of Quinns pub. Nice building..crap pub

Artists impression of the Opera Shopping Centre, from the Limerick Leader. It is pretty crap though, but it is the only one availible aparantly for the moment

OperaShoppingCentre.jpg

OK, it doesnt exactly make me thinks theres an opera house there because its the opera shopping centre?!?!?! I like the name, The Catherine Hayes Memorial Shopping Center... Imagine that as the name of an SC, it doesnt flow AT ALL.
    Its great that they arnt tearing down some of then nicest buildings in our city, really happy with that, like the look of the thing as well!

http://www.live95fm.ie/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=69287&pt=n
    Dooradoyle Gaelscoil finally getting a much saught after extension.

OK, it doesnt exactly make me thinks theres an opera house there because its the opera shopping centre?!?!?!

Ok, then irish brains and continental brains are working in a different way :DTell me something new....

IB

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I have been in contact with Deputy Peter Power's office and am assured that Bus Éireann have gotten many and will continue to get phonecalls from the office regarding the changed bus timetables all over the city.

A tram would be great, but would need total banning of on-street parking. The tram in Strasbourg operates in streets as narrow as ours, but travels along the middle of the road mainly, 2 lanes, 1 either way. it's great and can't be l8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Limerick seems to have gotten the thumbs up from the Lonely Planet anyway. Does anyone know are there any hostels in Limerick?

http://www.limerickleader.ie/issues/20060128/news05.htm
    Limerick: looking good at last

LIMERICK, once said to best viewed through a rear view mirror. was on top of the world this week as accolades poured in for the new vibrant city.

Just as a captivated European TV audience watched the absorbing Heineken Cup match in Thomond Park, better news came as the world renowned tourist bible-the Lonely Planet-proclaimed the city as "a busy shopping centre full of upbeat restaurants and buzzing bars".

City chiefs now hope the glowing reviews will attract thousands of new visitors to the city.

According to Lonely Planet, Limerick's well known reputation is one that is not deserved.

"Limerick has suffered too long from its hard-edged image as a bit of a rough old place. It is an image characterised by an uneasy reputation for crime and violence and by traditions of painful squalor," it said.

Just one murder was recorded in Limerick last year, fewer than in Dublin, Waterford, Kerry, Clare, Westmeath, Wexford, Wicklow, Cork or Galway. Four violent deaths were recorded in Limerick in 2004 and nine in the previous year.

More than 90 per cent of the 47 cases of violent death in Limerick since 1997 have been solved by gardai, a success rate described as "incredible" by former Limerick Chief Supt Gerry Kelly, now Assistant Commissioner.

Lonely Planet says: "For a touch of urban life with strong local colour, Limerick city continues to develop into a busy shopping centre full of upbeat restaurants and buzzing bars, and with a storming club and entertainment scene that features great local talent as well as visiting national stars."

New developments in the city such as the Riverpoint building, the transformation along the river front and future projects have caught the imagination of the Lonely Planet author.

It continues: "The city has lifted itself, with some spirit, in recent times, however. Its central streets buzz with life and a busy shopping scene. Fine museums and galleries, and a thriving restaurant and pub-club culture, have enhanced Limerick's already warm heart."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

Bout time lonely planet changed that review though its great to see. Good ol rugby doing the town proud on and off the field now if Limerick Fc could get into europe theres a thought

99er, what did you say about bus eireann??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

sioda wrote:
    Bout time lonely planet changed that review though its great to see. Good ol rugby doing the town proud on and off the field now if Limerick Fc could get into europe theres a thought

Reckon Limerick FC will rise again, or UL will proceed will their plans for a league side, either way we'll have topflight soccer in Limerick again. My reasoning is simply that the Midwest is too big a region for the FAI to ignore, eventually someone will have to put soccer in Limerick in order. It's funny because Limerick has some of the strongest junior sides in Ireland, but there seems to be no love lost between senior and junior soccer in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I was taling about all the changes to timetables and lateness of busses that really fcukn pi**es me of.
    Apparently other people feel the same and i'm just glad somethin is bein done about it

• Advertisement

From what I gather, some routes have changed as the traffic on them is too heavy, The ennis road bus now goes now sexton street north, but it should return to its ennis road route once the green bus lane is built on that street.

Bus eireann's problem is that they are trying to create more bus routes with the same amount of busses. they need to buy more busses. The work being done out it raheen is looking good though I will say that. they could have made the road a little smoother though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

From what I gather, some routes have changed as the traffic on them is too heavy, The ennis road bus now goes now sexton street north, but it should return to its ennis road route once the green bus lane is built on that street.

Bus eireann's problem is that they are trying to create more bus routes with the same amount of busses. they need to buy more busses. The work being done out it raheen is looking good though I will say that. they could have made the road a little smoother though.

is the bus lane completed out in raheen and how long is it?

is the bus lane completed out in raheen and how long is it?

no. but the road has been made really wide and has new surface and new footpaths. They havent even painted lines on the road yet. They have also put a new bus stop up at the white elephant building on the industrial estate side of the road, on the oposite side of the estate entrance to Caseys.

They had a stop go system going for the past few weeks while they resurfaced the road. They started at the industrial estate and are up as far as the regional hospital now. I think they will be going as far as town with the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

its childers road that really needs a bus lane,especially the stretch of road between the tipperary roundabout and the parkway brutal (though i suppose its really narrow and it would take some planning to work out and the would have to get rid of those terrible traffic lights outside childers road shopping centre)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

1huge1 wrote:
    its childers road that really needs a bus lane,especially the stretch of road between the tipperary roundabout and the parkway brutal (though i suppose its really narrow and it would take some planning to work out and the would have to get rid of those terrible traffic lights outside childers road shopping centre)
    Arent they doing that at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Spengman

The childers road id due to be widened under the Limerick city transportation plan, i presume this means an extra lane in each direction.Its unclear if the whole length of the childers road will be upgraded, there is definately enough room between the parkway and the kilmallock road roundabout, they'd have to replace the railway bridge here if they were to go any further. As part of the second phase of the south ring,access to the childers road from the N20 Cork road is to be eliminated so this will undoubtedly reduce traffic levels on that section. It was an unbelievably stupid decision to allow them traffic lights at the retail park, they shouldnt even have been allowed an entrance from the childers road in the 1st place,its a real nightmare and a serious hinderence to traffic flow, some of the planners in this country should be shot!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

the white elephant building
    Billy which building is that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

sioda wrote:
    The big white one :)

it on the left as you go into the industrial estate, its just on the side of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Spengman wrote:
    , there is definately enough room between the parkway and the kilmallock road roundabout, :
    is there? theres 3 road lanes and a small footpath, good luck to them trying to fit a bus lane, or am i missing something (would'nt suprise me)

• Advertisement

sioda wrote:

this one
    http://members.boards.ie/fcddunne/raheenwhiteelephant1.jpg

Advertisement