Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with 'puter..

Options
  • 30-03-1999 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Why is it that every now and then my computer's HD goes absolutely nuts? It's almost like it is reading from it but it's really noisy and the computer crawls along. This happens sometimes while playing quake, and it can happen any time, the whole game slows down and goes jerky, the HD makes tons of noise and usually I get killed!

So, why does this happen? Can it be stopped?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

happens to me a lot.. but this is on a p200 smile.gif
    only ever in winquake tho...
    usually with Word in the background doing a routine backup save or something.. oh happens a lot when i try to use a windows cd player in the background as well.
    just close down all programs and everything works grand.. (most of the time)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Assuming you're using Win98 then try disabling your task sheduler. Apparently that causes soem probs.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

I read somewhere that the 'find fast' utility
    for the Office suite has a similar effect... it periodically re-profiles your hd. Or did I dream this?

Anyhow, if you disable this feature, it should eliminate one possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Thanks lads!

I'll give it a go.

smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Scarab

Yes its findfast Lolth....

Fuucking thing is so bloody annoying every 2 hours it decides to index all of ure files or some bolloox and eat up ure CPU power which should be going to Quake, Task Scheduler is also a possibility but it isnt run as often as findfast depending on when u set it up to run, its only a load of micro$oft bull$hit, disable it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement