Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Failed NCT test

Options
  • 07-08-2005 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Does anybody know a quick fix to pass the emmissions test for the NCT.
    The car passed everything else except that and i tried putting the car through a 2nd time, but it failed that again.

I have heard of Dipetane http://www.dipetane.ie/ but dont know anything about that or cost

Anybody any clues
    Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

which part of the emissions, by how much and what car/engine/fuel?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What John asked + make sure you drive the car hard just before the test. The cat needs to be red hot to be most efficient

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

The car is a renault megane petrol, 98 1.4L.
    dont have the sheet with me here but my % was 5% and the threshold was 3.5%. the car before the tests was drove 20miles to the test center

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Your mechanic should be able to tune it so that it passes the emissions, and if he can't he should be able to tell you why not. We've a '91 fiesta that been borderline the last two times, but always manages to scrape though. Which is a pity because I can't justify changing if it passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Get a bottle of 104+ its in a green bottle costs about €18 cleans out the cat and injectors.Tip the whole bottle in with half a tank of petrol the morning of your nct.

• Advertisement

ye i went to the mechanic adn he said that he looked at it and done his bit ann said that if it didn pass this time he would have to get a new cable worth €200. so i was looking for ways to lower the emmisions. might look into this http://www.dipetane.ie/.

Ill ask him to tune it in and see what he can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

with emission readings like that it looks like your cat is knackered which would'nt be unusual on a 7 year old megane. if you could post your full emission results i could tell you more.

i hope your wrong, ill post up the results when i get home in the morning.

abakan wrote:
    ye i went to the mechanic adn he said that he looked at it and done his bit ann said that if it didn pass this time he would have to get a new cable worth €200. so i was looking for ways to lower the emmisions. might look into this http://www.dipetane.ie/.

Ill ask him to tune it in and see what he can do.

Whats the €200 cable? :eek:

i have no idea, that what the lad in the garage said,it looked like an electricial cable. didn ask him because he said the car would pass so i didn pay much attention

• Advertisement

i have no idea, that what the lad in the garage said,it looked like an electricial cable. didn ask him because he said the car would pass so i didn pay much attention. ill find out tomorow when i leave the car back in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

abakan wrote:
    i have no idea, that what the lad in the garage said,it looked like an electricial cable. didn ask him because he said the car would pass so i didn pay much attention. ill find out tomorow when i leave the car back in
    With an unleaded burning injection petrol engine with a working CAT its practically impossible to fail on emissions.

Ergo - CAT not working.
    Could be the lambda sensor he's talking about for €200
    (There's no such thing as an auto-electrical cable worth €200.)

Gurgle wrote:
    W....
    Could be the lambda sensor he's talking about for €200
    (There's no such thing as an auto-electrical cable worth €200.)

Thats what I thought.

Theres always a reason for a car to fail the emssions. Its not black magic.

Exhaust emmisions - .47 vol % should be .3%

engine oil temp - 110c

low idle 720rpm high idle 3130rpm

There is a rough cut of the NCT cert. Turns out the mechanic didn know what he was talking about so im sending the car in for a pre NCT center so they can check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

beware ! most of those pre nct centres are staffed by muppets. the vast majority of them are not qualified mechanics. from those readings it looks like it's your cat all right. it's possible to get a spurious cat fitted at a good exhaust centre for far less than a main dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Shing

I have a 98 Civic 1.4i which failed the NCT for emissions. Some crap about the lambda gauge.

Anyway, I was advised to drive the car hard (as advised by unkel) before going to the test centre. Drove at about 5000 revs, which may be over the top, but I wanted to be sure. Passed the second time with no professional work done to the car.

Regards,
    Wai Shing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

5000rpm isnt hard - hondas are made to be revved :D

greglo23 wrote:
    with emission readings like that it looks like your cat is knackered which would'nt be unusual on a 7 year old megane. if you could post your full emission results i could tell you more.

looks like you were right. had to get a new CAT from an 02 clio(€120)
    cost me €250 altogether to put it throught the NCT for emissions

Advertisement