Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max Romeo

Options
  • 07-08-2005 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

I figure reggae belongs in this section more than any other. Could anyone recommend me a CD by Max Romeo that's any good? Preferably with "I Chase The Devil" on it (yes, I am a Prodigy fan :D )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BogOak

i think the album is called "War Inna Babylon". i think thats the one with chase the devil on it. another place to get it would be to buy the lee perry "Arkology" which is a three cd compilation of loads of lee perry produced stuff including chase the devil and other max romeo songs. its one of the best reggae/dub compilations out there and worth getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Thanks. I've been wanting to buy some decent reggae/dub stuff but didn't really know where to start.

Just ordered that Lee Perry box set

good move. if you're just getting into reggae get the 100% dynamite series (100%, 200%, 300%, etc). brilliant compilations from soul jazz records. here's some tunes from my ska-funk-reggae band the rhythm method:

www.iol.ie/~mountain/evin/makeit.wma
    www.iol.ie/~mountain/evin/oi.wma
    www.iol.ie/~mountain/evin/tenoutoften.wma

I've been eyeing the Soul Jazz site now for a while (I got a compilation of Haitian Voudou music from them before which was excellent) but I'm waiting to listen to the Lee Perry collection so I know what direction I'm willing to go in.

Just listened to your songs, not all my cup of tea. I liked Make It a lot, reminded me a bit of Talking Heads.

• Advertisement

the 100% dynamite ones are sort of more mixed (old/recent/odd bit of more poppy bits but still good) and accessible i think. the lee perry stuff is very much roots/dub kind of stuff. i love them both but some people might find the lee perry one a bit heavy. if you already like that max romeo track then you'll be alright i'd say.

Advertisement