Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

biodiesel

Options
  • 08-08-2005 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Is it illegal to use biodiesel in your car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Is it illegal to use biodiesel in your car?

That's a good question! In the current environment with very high fuel prices a lateral thinking person like yourself will come up with a potentially radical solution :)

I don't have a lot to offer for an answer but to encourage fellow posters to comment

An interesting thing I read a few months ago though. If you drive an ancient technology car (like a peugeot / renault mid 90s diesel), people have claimed it is perfectly safe to fill it up with 25% diesel and 75% sunflower oil or used chippy fat :eek:

As pure sunflower oil doesn't atract fuel duty and is cheaply available in the price-fighters like Lidl or Aldi, it might make for an interesting alternative!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I thought that if you use it as fuel then fuel duty does need to be paid.
    Several years ago a mate of a colleague arrived at the office with an old diesel car full of chippy fat and went into great length about it and how he was "evading" the taxman. Frankly they could have tracked him halfway across the country by smell, it was rank and the smell lingered for hours.

Advertisement