Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failure

Options
  • 08-08-2005 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Ok, I was relatively calm about the results. However my friend has just pointed out to me that if you fail any of the core subjects (Irish, English, Maths) that you fail the actual leaving cert.

Now i'm seriously worried cos I'm pretty sure I've failed maths. That didn't bother me because I don't need it for my course. I asked my career guidance teacher and she said that since I don't need it for my course, I'll be fine. Then again she's been known to get loads wrong in the past....

Anybody know what the actual fact is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

yep, ya fail one of those ya fail the lot, but since your course dont need it, im sure there might be a loophole, check the requirements of the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭dmck2886

I don't think theres any point in worrying about it as you can't change what you wrote on the test paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

If you did and passed Geography that'll replace maths if you fail it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

Ya that used to be the case a few years back, but Ive heard that its less srtict these days. If your really freaking out send an email to the SEC or the college you want to go to. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭*Roisin*

oh my god, do you really think you can replace maths with geog, cos I reckon I got an a in that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Not true,

not sure about maths but you can pass irish or english, but you do not have to pass both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Moonbeam wrote:
    Not true,

not sure about maths but you can pass irish or english, but you do not have to pass both.

Thank goodness somebody has sense.

Goodness OP, stop scare-mongering on this site - I'm sure a lot of people have had their nerves frayed badly enough already without this kind of thing.

Check www.examinations.ie, your career guidance book or, er, pay attention during school perhaps?

I did pay attention in school, I was just told that I didn't need to pass maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

*Roisin* wrote:
    I did pay attention in school, I was just told that I didn't need to pass maths.
    What bright spark informed you of that.

My fabulous career guidance teacher...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

i failed maths in my leaving cert about 9 years ago...
    made no difference to me. In saying that my course didn't require maths, so that helps. But I'm sure if it's science etc or something like that you planned on doing, it may mean something.

But don't stress yourself out, people get far too worried about the leaving cert results these days.

My course doesn't need maths either, so I should be ok?

*Roisin* wrote:
    My course doesn't need maths either, so I should be ok?

Yeah i guess so!
    but don't be surprised if you passed.
    I hardly wrote anything bar my exam number on the paper, yet I still managed to get an E.

if you gave it half a chance you probably passed :D

Thanks a million! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

i know two guys who failed maths in the LC, both went to college - one science, one mech. eng. They had to complete and pass a 2 week maths course in the college before the course started but other than that it was grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

Sorry to be the barer of bad news but if you fail maths english or irish you've failed you leaving. The reason I know this is because I failed maths my first time round & with points of 510 in all other subjects I had to go back & repeat 3 subjects the next year before I could go to collage. Also what course are you doing that you don't need maths as one of your entry subjects???? I've never heard of any collage that will accept you if you've failed maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

roisin LOVE the name btw ( best mate is named that such a wowie name )

ANYWAY.. if you are so worried do what the guy said get in touch with the college you wanna go to and see what they say i'd say your career teacher but like you said she cant be trusted

what you trying to do /be

btw good luck :)

ravenhead wrote:
    Sorry to be the barer of bad news but if you fail maths english or irish you've failed you leaving. The reason I know this is because I failed maths my first time round & with points of 510 in all other subjects I had to go back & repeat 3 subjects the next year before I could go to collage. Also what course are you doing that you don't need maths as one of your entry subjects???? I've never heard of any collage that will accept you if you've failed maths?

you don't "fail" the leaving by not passing one of the core subjects. I failed maths, yet was still offered 3 college places, one of them being a computers and french diploma. So like mentioned, if the course specifically requires it, then your in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I've been meaning to write about this in every Leaving Cert Thread that has popped up on this. You will look back in years to come and wonder why you ever got so worried and uptight about the leaving cert. I believe the most important thing in life is to know what you want to do with it. I'd say there are over 50% of people waiting for their results who really don't have a clue what to do once they go to college, for most it's just something that they should do, like a natural progression, for others it's an extension of school, delaying having to take part in the real world. There are some who know what they want to do with a passion,say medicine or whatever, for those the results are important but if they're serious about wanting to go into that profession, I douby they'll have much to worry about come results day. There are others then who go into a course, for example, like dozens of my mates, Recreation Management - they're all finished college now and not one of them are working in a career even remotely close to what they studied for.

Look at my sig....believe me it's more important to know what you want to do then to do well in the leaving but still have no clue what you want to do afterwards.

Divers wrote:
    you don't "fail" the leaving by not passing one of the core subjects. I failed maths, yet was still offered 3 college places, one of them being a computers and french diploma. So like mentioned, if the course specifically requires it, then your in trouble.

Things have changed so since I did my leaving - I applied for computing science in UCC & was turned down because of maths, i had to repeat maths to get in the following year - but that's going back 10 years now

• Advertisement

Hoping to do arts in Maynooth. Don't need maths as a requirement.

So how come some people who failed got in, and others didn't?!

*Roisin* wrote:

It really does depend on what you're applying for a guess - what subjects do you hope to study?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

u need to pass english/irish and maths unless your selected course states differently

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

ravenhead wrote:
    Also what course are you doing that you don't need maths as one of your entry subjects???? I've never heard of any collage that will accept you if you've failed maths?
    Arts, Social Science and Law in UCD do not require that you pass in maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

*Roisin* wrote:

I want to do arts in maynooth too, hopefully I'll see you there!

About the maths thing, my sister failed maths 2 years ago. She had enough points for her course, but had to repeat the maths anyway. The rule is that you can repeat just one subject if it's a requirement that it's passed for your course, but you can't use the points from your repeated exam when calculating your total points. (ie you can only use the original points).
    The course my sister wanted was something to do with computers, which is probably very maths-y, so maybe that's why she had to repeat it.

Anyway, everybody seems to think it's the end of the world if you have to repeat, it's not, I know loads of people who repeated and ended up doing a different course than they had originally planned and they love it. Look at it as another year to decide what you really want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Mina Loy

ravenhead wrote:

I'm surprised you didn't have to repeat english to get into 'collage' too... :p;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

ravenhead wrote:

Er, if you got 510 then why did you need to repeat 3 subjects? You can't add points together from separate sittings of the Leaving Cert, you can only add up matriculation requirements (eg you can pass Maths and English in separate years if you need them both for your course, but you can't get an A1 in maths one year, and an A1 in english another year and add them together to get 200 points overall).

If you only failed maths then why didn't you just repeat maths, since repeating 3 subjects was never going to increase your points total over 510?

Wooooo!

Rang Maynooth a few minutes ago. Maths is NOT a requirement for any Arts course. Wooooo! Relief!

Once more...woooooooooo! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ahh, that's cool, nice to see some pressure taken off you :p

• Advertisement

Now I'm just excited! Bouncing off walls. It's just the curiousity ya see. Dying to know what I got.

How am I gonna last 32hours :D

Advertisement