Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to/Any Tips On Handleing A Nitro Monster Truck

Options
  • 08-08-2005 9:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi, I Want to know how to handle my Nitro monster Truck, 2.5cc, 4wd
    and it has a brake(hope to use that to my advantage),

Is There any tips or cool jumps i can do?? any info would be great!

I searched the internet and found this:

Practice
    You can't "buy" success, you've got to work at it - and the name of the game is PRACTICE. There's no substitute. You can buy "speed", "horsepower", and all the rest, but you can't buy better lap times - those, you've got to earn.

Being Smooth
    The most important single thing I can think of, is to be SMOOTH. Never yank on the throttle - gently pull on it. Ditto for the brakes - when you apply them, do it smoothly, both getting ON the brakes, and when you're getting off them. You can spend hundreds of dollars on speed controls and high-tech radios that do this for you, but the truth is that all the control you need is in your trigger finger. The same thing applies to the steering - never twist the wheel violently one way or the other - try your hardest to turn it smoothly, both going into a turn and coming out of the turn. I know this is easier said than done, as everyone in a race is too busy trying to go fast to worry about stupid stuff like being smooth, but believe it or not, the ONLY way to get fast is to get SMOOTH first.

How do you know if you're driving smoothly? Next time you go out to race or practice, have someone time you for four or five minutes, then compare your lap times. If your lap times vary from fast, to slow, to maybe fast again, then slow, then slow, then fast… you need more practice. On the other hand, if your lap times are consistent, lap after lap, you're on the right track. First get smooth and consistent, and only then try to go faster.

Throttle Control
    Don't use full throttle all the time. There are two reasons for this. First of all, when you're in a turn, there is an optimum speed for taking the turn. If you give your car more throttle than you should, you will actually be slower going around the turn. "Roll the throttle", going around the turn smoothly. The only way to learn this is by practice. Again, when you're coming out of the turn and you want to apply more power, do it smoothly. The second reason for this is that it's more efficient. Giving your car more throttle than it can use for any given part of the track just wastes batteries (for you electric racers) and tires (especially so for gas racers). Some gas racers go through a couple of sets of tires in a single day - I used to, so I know. If you're racing an electric car, and you haven't yet learned how to do this, all I can say is just keep practicing at it. If you find your car staying on the proper "racing line" (one more thing you have to learn), you're probably doing things pretty well. If you're going faster than you should, or you're giving your car too much throttle, you'll go wide in the turns. Not only is this a longer way around the turn, which means you'll be slower, but you'll be on a part of the track that isn't where everyone wants to be driving, and therefore will be dirtier than the rest of the track. This means your tires will get dirty, so you'll have less traction for a while until the dirt wears off the tires. With dirty tires and less traction, you have to go even slower than usual, until the tires are back to the way they should be. :)

Any Tips On Jumping( How to land properly, etc )

I would also like to Know anywhere that has cool Bodies, Please post pics if you think you car/Truck is hot enough :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

I think vectra know's a guy in the U.K that does custom body shells for around €55 (pricy but what can we do?)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Jumping is handy enough, the secret is to not rev the truck too much or no trottle at all. Keep it smooth. If its up too nose high and you think its going to land on the rear bumper tap the brake this will level it. Try not to leave the brakes on or you might do a front flip and land upside down :( .

To do a backflip you need a high ramp with a high launch. Speed up towards the ramp and keep the trottle on if you leave go of the trottle this will happen :eek: . If its all good it should look like this but not on that scale :cool:

And for some bodies check this out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

ahh nice thx for the tips anymore any people would like to share with us???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Flunked wrote:
    I think vectra know's a guy in the U.K that does custom body shells for around €55 (pricy but what can we do?)
    How about buying them for half that, and using a spray can for 15 seconds?
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

Nice tricks. Can you realy control the spin by using the brake? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

You cant learn to jump properly without using the brake, the brake controls the roll of the car/truck in the air!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭boy1er1990

Thanks guys, but i am new to the rc world and i am not quite sure what you are talkin about.

but i got a fair idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

When a truck leaves the ground (as in ramping) the speed of the wheels rotating will affect the truck in the air!

If you have full throttle the truck will lean backwards (used for backflips), if you want the truck to lean forward, you press the brakes.

using these you can decide in mid air which way to balance the truck so that it lands smoothly!

(EASIER SAID THAN DONE!)

;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭boy1er1990

oh yeah, no i see well, now i get it,

thanks, very much, cant wait till i am finished buiding it, till i try them out!!

Advertisement