Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a small network between a windows and a linux machine

Options
  • 08-08-2005 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭

Hey, i've been trying to set up a small network at home between a PC running windows XP and a PC running Slackware 10.1 with no success. I'm not very experience with linux yet, i haven't been using it for vey long so i'm not sure exactly how to go about it. The pc are connected via a network cable.

It always seems to work between XP machines, but maybe there's compatibility issues between the two operating systems?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Presumably you mean a filesharing network? Have you installed Samba on the Linux machine?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I'm not sure, probably not because everytime i go to configure it in the KDE control centre, it tells me that it can't find the samba.conf file..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Either you don't have samba installed, or its looking for samba.conf in the wrong location.

And when I do get samba up and running, will it be fully compatible with windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

yes, you're only allowed 3 questions here, so don't waste anymore one something that a quick google will sort

• Advertisement

And when I do get samba up and running, will it be fully compatible with windows?
    No. Windows is a proprietary operating system with many API's that aren't available, so most Samba functionality has effectively been created via reverse engineering. If you're just looking for basic compatibility, it should do you fine; if you're looking to use more advanced stuff like active directory, you may run into problems.

All I would want to do is telnet both computers from the other, and have basic file access between each computer.

No-one in their right mind uses telnet any more.

It's not the best, but it's a fairly descent way to control services on my Linux Machine without having to plug the screen out of one pc and into the other, (ive only got one)

That's what ssh is for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement