Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from UK from a private seller

Options
  • 08-08-2005 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

I've read the very informative guide posted as a sticky.

It warns against buying from a private seller. I'm wondering what sort of risks are entailed in doing so. The advantages of buying from a dealer are:

* A warranty (hopefully)
    * Cover under whatever the UK equiv of the Sale of goods and supply of services act
    * Some peace of mind concerning the history of the car.

1 and 2 are worth little to me... I'm exporting the car, so 99% of the time, it'd be cheaper to just get it serviced/repaired here than get it over to the UK for a service.

Assuming I get an independent inspection and it's all clear, what other risks am I taking?

Background: getting an S-2000 - ideally:
    black or silver
    full leather
    not a jap import
    less than 50k miles
    1999 or 2000 (about all I can handle in terms of VRT, could afford a 2002 without it :( )
    No damage

The only ones that come close to meeting those happen to be private sales.

Advertisement