Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a racer/road bike for about €300

Options
  • 08-08-2005 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

I'm considering getting into triathalons, with an eye towards the Dublin series of duathalons this winter to get me started. If things go well over the next few months I intend to get a decent bike, but in the meantime I'd like to get something basic for around the €300 mark.
    The plan would be to then use this bike as a my general transport bike when/if I lash out on something better. It can be new or secondhand, doesn't need to be fancy (though for this price range I doubt that's a problem ;)) and the frame needs to be about 58cm centre->centre, or 59cm centre->top.
    I'd really appreciate any suggestions as I'm totally new to the biking world.

Cheers,
    Cian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Anyone know where to get second hand racers in Dublin, anyone at all? Buy and Sell offer slim pickings and I'd rather not chance buying something sight-unseen on eBay.

Cheers,
    CIan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I have a falcon corsa for 275 euro new. It's a good beginners bike. It has a steel frame and gears on the frame and no fancy features.
    The tyres it comes with are a bit cheap though, you might think of getting new ones.

I got mine in Hollinshead cycles in Terenure. I've seen it in Hollinshead's in Stillorgan as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭daymobrew

with an eye towards the Dublin series of duathalons this winter to get me started.
    Unfortunately the duathlons that are held in the Phoenix Park are done for the year. There were 4 of them, held on the first Wednesday of May-Aug.

I emailed the group running them, Belpark Triathlon Club, but there are no plans to run a 5th one (in Sept) and there are no more duathlons this year. :(

I thoroughly enjoyed racing in them and not embarassing myself. There is such a wide range of bikes (from pro to something found in the back of the shed) and skills.

That's a shame, I'm sure in past years there was a winter series. Oh well, maybe for the best that I get some proper training in over the winter before competing in anything :)
    John_C, thanks for the tip of the Falcon, I'll try and check it out this weekend.

Well, I can't for the life of me find a picture or any real info on the Falcon Corsa from Mr. Google, don't suppose you carry around pics of your new bike with you John_C? :D

Cian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I don't but someone elses is the yellow one on the left in this photo.

http://willowwheelers.ie/Mem/clare%20internet%20ready/clare%20images-Pages/Image30.html

Advertisement