Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shels - Drogheda

• 08-08-2005 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

How much is it at the gate to get in does anyone know? 8 kick off? Since Tolka is only a 5 minute walk I've decided it's about time I started going to more games, rather than just the Euro ones!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

€15 *I think*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bring your labour card/student id dont be paying them full price, i loan you mine if you need it :D

kdjac

Don't listen to him, he's barred!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

€15 adult, I believe its €10 with a student card.

8PM kick off for home league games, but I always aim to be there for 7:45 just in case (One or two games seem to have been earlier, and with this being a Monday I haven't a clue!).

May as well use this as the proper match thread too :)

I'm predicting 2-0 to Shels, a rejuvinated team will now play out the rest of the season! If we have Joey and Weso on that pitch, we should play out easily enough.

Jason Gavin is suspended for Drogs, so thats an added bonus! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'm hoping for an impressive Shels win. We haven't really played well as a creative force in a while and hopefully Nutsy will play Wes somewhere that he can do damage.

Looking forward to seeing the "new look" Drogheda team as well.

My prediction: 2-1 Shels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Einst&#252 wrote: »

Jason Gavin is suspended for Drogs, so thats an added bonus! :D

A bonus to Shels or Drogs? Gavin is muck.

Im hoping for a Drogs win here, as if thats the case, it will effectively end Shels' chances of ctaching up with CCFC, however, I think it will be a tough 2-1 for Shels. It certainly wont be easy, as Drogs will be hoping to re-ignite their season.

So will Shels! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

How much is it at the gate to get in does anyone know? 8 kick off? Since Tolka is only a 5 minute walk I've decided it's about time I started going to more games, rather than just the Euro ones!
    Fair play to you, come on over to the New Stand and join in with the singing, you'll be more than welcome.

This is my last Shels game I'll see in I don't know how long. I'm heading around the world next week, damn I'll miss 'em.

as gimmick said, Shels need all three points tonight to ensure the league is not completely out of reach, but in fairness, at this stage, Cork City can only throw it away. I think we'll win tonight. Fenlon's comments are encouraging :

“Both Wes Hoolahan and Joseph Ndo did very well when they came on[against Steaua], so I’m looking at definitely starting one of them.”

Why not both Nutsy? Really go at Drogs.

Delaney will retain his place, of course, while I hope for the love of christ Crawley is dropped, although with Heary suspended our defence will be again weak. Our new young starlet, Curtis Fleming, look out for him, he really is one for the future, will come in in Heary's position.

I'm going for a Shels win, if we play to our strenghts, ie, pass the ball on the ground and play football. 2-1.

They better send you off in style so man! ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

That's the attitude we need from more of our supporters!

If you do stall it around to the match head to the New Stand and join in with the Briogaid Dearg for singing. We need more vocal support aswell as human support!

We hopefully 3-0 for Shels. We have to win so I'm expecting more positive attacking play tonight

• Advertisement

1-1 after 7 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

2 each at half time

Shels 2 - 3 Drogs. Almost over.

Edit: Fenlon sent off.

Edit: 3 - 3

Well,Weso and Ndo played from the start tonight, and we played some nice ball at times. Weso got an absolute peach to start things off, after only two minutes. As usual our defence was shaky, and David Crawley in particular was at fault for Drogheda's two first half goals. Stuart Byrne scored to make it 2-1, I'm sorry I didn't catch the names of the Drogs scorers.

Then a brutal second half, and some farciacal officiating. Ball comes through the middle from midfield, Drogs players in offside positions, so the linesman flags. Shels stop, but Drogs keep going. One on one, goal. The ball had come from a Shels player. I saw it, but more importantly so did the ref. Our hothead manager runs the length of the touchline to remonstrate with the linesman, and gets himself sent off.

Shels get a free and equalise, last kick of the game, Jason Byrne. All hell breaks loose, Stuart Byrne physically attacks the officials, I think the linesman, others say the ref, either wau, he is an idiot. Someone gets hurt in a pitch invasion, first on the scene are the cameras, so expect pics of "man hurt in Tolka Park riot", it wasn't a riot, but the club needs to be fined, a lot for the behaviour of it's officials and "fans".

Shels won't win this league now, it's down to the two Cities to fight it out.

^ Certainly sounds like an incident packed game.

Are you saying that fans went onto the pitch to attack the officials (ref/linesman) or what? Could be a huge fine if thats the case.

Hardly the send off you were looking for eh?

No, the fans didn't attack the officials. That didnt happen.

I'm getting all kinds of stories about who exactly was involved.

Seemingly Ollie went to have a go at the officials, in the tunnel, so I didn't see this, and was being held back. SOMEONE - not Ollie, hit a cameraman who ended up on the ground bleeding. I didn't see blood, but I don't think the person who told me was lying.
    gimmick wrote:
    Hardly the send off you were looking for eh?
    That will be rectified next monday ;)

seansouth wrote:
    some farciacal officiating

All hell breaks loose, Stuart Byrne physically attacks the officials, I think the linesman, others say the ref, either wau, he is an idiot. Someone gets hurt in a pitch invasion, first on the scene are the cameras, so expect pics of "man hurt in Tolka Park riot", it wasn't a riot, but the club needs to be fined, a lot for the behaviour of it's officials and "fans".

Shels won't win this league now, it's down to the two Cities to fight it out.

Farcical is an understatement! The ref and linesmen between them showed how much evolving parts of the species still has to do.

I had to hold back Nutsy at one stage after he was sent off, he was really going for the 4th official. Was standing right beside him at the tunnel as the free-kick went in, but the photographer who claimed Ollie hit him may have slightly over-reactedr. I hate Ollie as much as the next Eircom League fan but almost all of the people around me who saw the incident (about 10 yards away from me) said Ollie was innocent. I didn't see it properly though, as there was way too much going on at the final whistle.

Stewie Byrne on the other hand...

Big ban on the way methinks, think David Prutton x 10.

I'll upload the goals in a bit.

seansouth wrote:
    That will be rectified next monday ;)

Will Shels be confident of a result in Turners Cross? Nothing less than a Shels win, and dare I say it, Shels' season is over :eek:

Tale of two Cities eh?

seansouth wrote:
    I didn't see blood, but I don't think the person who told me was lying

There DEFINITELY wasnt blood. I was watching the guy who was "hit" for about 10 minutes and he definitely wasnt bleeding. Might just have had his camera knocked into his face. He was right in the thick of the action.

gimmick wrote:
    Will Shels be confident of a result in Turners Cross?
    Nope.
    gimmick wrote:
    Nothing less than a Shels win, and dare I say it, Shels' season is over :eek:
    Erm, you can say that now. Our season is over.

We won't have our manager or assistant manager on the bench for at least three games I'd say.

One positive that may come out of tonight is that David Crawley is suspended for his actions when Drogs scored to make it 2-3.

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:

Erm, you can say that now. Our season is over.

remember the run City put together at the tail end of last season? is it not possible Shels will do similar, and push it all the way???
    seansouth wrote:
    We won't have our manager or assistant manager on the bench for at least three games I'd say.

This is the eL, there will be feck all action taken because nobody a) will be bothered, and b) is brave enough to take Ollie Byrne to task.

Well that half-sorted out the offside incident. If Ndo touched it, and I think he did, its a perfectly good goal. But the Shels defence completely stopped as the linesmans flag was up. Nobody to blame so!

The uproar was because of the inadequacy of the officials.

One signals offside, the other decides to ignore it and play on but not signal what he's doing. Can't believe this wasn't mentioned on EL weekly!

Draw was a fair result all things told.

The club and persons involved should be heavily fined.

Wes' Screamer

If anyone wants any of the other stuff, just let me know.

Fahey scored and Rovers fans who now run the club show what true hooligans they are :p

Byrne free-kick saves a point for Shels
    Monday, 08 August 2005 11:01

A Jason Byrne free-kick rescued a point for Shelbourne at Tolka Park

Jason Byrne salvaged a point for Shelbourne agianst Drogheda at Tolka Park tonight with a dramatic 94th minute free-kick to level the scores at 3-3.

Declan O'Brien appeared to have won a thriller with a controversial 88th goal when referee John Feighery overruled abad linesman's flag to allow him to run through and score to the fury of Shels.

The sides swapped four goals in a riveting first half. A stunning Wes Hoolahan strike put Shels in front after just three minutes. But that lasted only five minutes as Jermaine Sandvliet headed home Stephen Bradley's cross.
    Adblock

Stuart Byrne drilled home to restore Shels' lead on 15 minutes. However, bad defending allowed Drogheda level again in the 29th minute; Keith Fahey blasting to the net at the back post from Sandvliet's low cross.

The loss effectively ends Shelbourne's hopes of completing a three-in-a-row of league titles.

The game was marred by a fracas at the tunnel at the Drumcondra end after the final whistle.

Champions league your having a laugh ......

kdjac

Read the previous posts from Shels fans. I think we have all said it was a poor flag. The problem was our players stopped at the flag, the referee didn't signal that he was playing on, and they scored. Had the referee motioned advantage or play on there'd be no discussion, as it was almost everybody there except the referee was expecting a free out as the linesman still had his bloody flag in the air! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

It looked like an offside from where I was (tv will clear that up)

Linesman had his flag clearly raised up in the air, both Shels and Drogheda and Drogheda palyers stopped...... the ref cheated us.

Stuey Byrne went for the ref deservedly at the final whistle (I am shocked that he was the only one TBH), commotion etc. Ollie comes over to tunnel, 15 cameras rammed down his throat, I look away, photographer down on ground seconds late, dunno if it was Ollie,(should have been 15 of them down on ground, the arseholes) I saw no blood and that photographer was milking it till kingdom come.

Yes Shels fans ran onto pitch but DID NOT give ref or officails any hassle at all.

No wonder people don't give a f**k about his league. Inept officals, corrupt heirarchy's etc.

Nutsy, Ollie, Stuey..... keep your heads held high.

I wasn't at the game, but...
    It looked like an offside from where I was (tv will clear that up)

Linesman had his flag clearly raised up in the air, both Shels and Drogheda and Drogheda palyers stopped...... the ref cheated us.

Junior football #101

Todays lesson - play the whistle.
    Nutsy, Ollie, Stuey..... keep your heads held high.

You condone Fenlon's behaviour? Are you Rovers in disguise? There is NO place for thugery in Irish football, or at least there should be no place for it. Fenlon, Collins and the rest of the Shels bench from what I caught on EL weekly should be ashmaed of their behaviour. How many times is that Fenlon's been sent from the dugout? How many incidents has Ollie been involved in (whether he's guilty of anything last night or not)?

Its time Shels leant a bit of humility. We're not good enough to win the EL this year, and throwing temper tantrums on and off the field does nothing for the image of the league, nor more importantly the club iteslf. After the Rovers incident and this, how many parents are gonna bring their kids to a match at Tolka Park?

I'm seriously considering giving Tolka a miss from now on...

We weren't cheated, TV shows he was onside. A signal would have been nice, but not playing to the whistle was silly.

• Advertisement

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    We weren't cheated, TV shows he was onside. A signal would have been nice, but not playing to the whistle was silly.

Agreed

I'm seriously considering giving Tolka a miss from now on...

Thats not an over reaction, no? Its football, tensions and passions run high. At least last night showed that (some) of Shels' players care deeply about their club and fear that they have left themselves and their fans down.

I know the way they behaved is unnaceptable, but it was human. Would you prefer they showed no fight, no passion?

All the Shels reactions, while being over the top, were completely justified. It was very poor officiating.

gimmick wrote:
    Thats not an over reaction, no?

No, not really.

Add last night to Ollie vs Roddy a few weeks back, the countless times Fenlon has lost the rag on the touchline, Ollie sticking his nose in to everyone elses business (Rovers being docked points rather than thrown out of the league) and it all starts to stink. And we wonder why we're hated...

I'm all for passion from the team and club officials, but channelled in the right direction. The place to show their passion is on the pitch, in compliance with the rules of the game. NOT by attacking the officials (and TBH, from what I saw on TV it wouldn't have taken much for Fenlon to go a bit further and floor the ref). If the players want to make amends for having let down their fans, then next Monday at the Cross is the place to do it. By playing football, and hopefully beating Cork. Simple as.
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    All the Shels reactions, while being over the top, were completely justified. It was very poor officiating.

I'm confused. You agree with the statement that we weren't cheated, and the players should have played the whistle, yes? I am reading your previous posts right, yes?

So how were they justified? And how could those reactions be justified if you admit they were over the top?

It sounds to me like the referee made the right call. The Shels players failed to play the whistle, and were punished. The Shels management team exploded, disgracing themselves and the club in the process. Stuie Byrne then compunded it at full time. I can't see any justification TBH.

Final thought...if that was Roddy Collins and the Rovers team/fans, how many Fenlon apologists would be calling for their heads?

I felt that, having watched the replay, Ndo touched the ball, the linesmans flag went up and the defence stopped. The referee didn't wave play on, and thats the only thing that annoyed me. It was a perfectly good goal, but the referee's reaction (or lack of) caused the entire shels back four to stop.

The goal should definitely have stood, but Feighery should have at least indicated that he was over-ruling his assistant.

We weren't cheated, but reactions were justified (not reactions as strong as what were witnessed) because the officials got themselves in a mess.

Had the referee signalled for play to continue, I reckon O' Brien would still have scored.

I realise it might sound like I'm contradicting myself but I honestly don't think I am.

PS - Deciding not to support your team because of Ollie Byrne is letting that fat muppet win. Its only a matter of time before he is booted out.

MrJoeSoap wrote:

PS - Deciding not to support your team because of Ollie Byrne is letting that fat muppet win. Its only a matter of time before he is booted out.

I didn't say I'd stop supporting them. I said I might stop giving them anymore money by going to Tolka. Nowt to stop me going to away games... ;)

• Advertisement

I didn't say I'd stop supporting them. I said I might stop giving them anymore money by going to Tolka. Nowt to stop me going to away games... ;)

As i said in 2nd post bring your labour card/ Student ID :D

Worked for me for about 8 years now.

kdjac

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=145
    “My reactions and conduct after the incident in question were totally inappropriate and inexcusable and I wish to apologise unreservedly to all concerned.”

Fair play to the guy, this was badly needed. Holding his hands up and admitting wrongdoing. How many other managers do that?

Roddy? Dolan?.....

seansouth wrote:
    Roddy? Dolan?.....

Dolan doesnt have a mangers job! :D

seansouth wrote:
    Roddy? Dolan?.....

Careful sean, that's pretty illustrious company you're putting Nutsy in... ;)

Nice to see the apology, and hopefully we'll take whatever punishment (if any) the FAI gives us without complaint.

Nice to see the apology, and hopefully we'll take whatever punishment (if any) the FAI gives us without complaint.

Hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Wes' Screamer

If anyone wants any of the other stuff, just let me know.

Is there any chance you could upload Jason Byrnes free kick?

And I can only get the audio working on that link, I have 2mb broadband, is there something I had to download first?

Might need the XviD plug-in , i'm not too sure.

Heres Jayo's strike.

Advertisement