Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Related to reasonable price to expect thread

Options
  • 08-08-2005 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

I suppose I should have thrown this in as well....

I am torn between three cars to change against:

1. 03 Volvo S40. Winter pack, leather seats, alloys, AC, automatic. lovely to drive
    2. New Ford Mondeo LX. Lots of extras, AC, Alloys, Sat Nav, DVD player in rear, Folg lights etc.
    3. New Mercedes A Class. Basic model

I'll be honest and say that the Merc would be purely for the badge as I am not that mad about it. (think it's too soccer mom)
    Anyone have experience with any of the above? All contricutions welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'll be honest and say that the Merc would be purely for the badge as I am not that mad about it. (think it's too soccer mom)

Don't know a huge amount about them, but I think they are rank looking cars, and it's badge just wouldn't make up for it at all. Either of the other cars you mentioned would appeal much more to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Buy the Ford if you enjoy driving. Shouldn't give you an ounce of trouble either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Just had another one to add to the mix - a new VW Passat.
    I currently drive a Passat, and I love it. plus, I got offered €10K for my old one !!!! (2000 with 65K miles) so I think I can't really turn down that offer!

I will test drive them all again on Saturday and make up my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

2003 Volvo S40 - This is now an obsolete model and was based on the also obsolete Mitsubishi Carisma. Heavy depreciation is setting in on these now so they could be a good buy as most come with air con and leather.

Ford Mondeo - Probably more entertaining to drive than the others but it is showing it's age now and a new model will be introduced next year. Also 110bhp 1.8 engine in the LX is not very energetic. The 1.8 125bhp Zetec is much better. Depreciation is also very heavy on the Mondeo so it would probably make more sence to buy a used one rather than new.

VW Passat - New Passat looks a bit big for the 1.6 engine but if it suits your needs then go for it. Getting €10k for a 5.5 year old Passat isn't bad. Only thing is basic Passat is very basic. Personnally I don't like the rear of the new Passat but that is my opinion.

bazz26 wrote:
    2003 Volvo S40 - This is now an obsolete model and was based on the also obsolete Mitsubishi Carisma. Heavy depreciation is setting in on these now so they could be a good buy as most come with air con and leather.

Ford Mondeo - Probably more entertaining to drive than the others but it is showing it's age now and a new model will be introduced next year. Also 110bhp 1.8 engine in the LX is not very energetic. The 1.8 125bhp Zetec is much better. Depreciation is also very heavy on the Mondeo so it would probably make more sence to buy a used one rather than new.

VW Passat - New Passat looks a bit big for the 1.6 engine but if it suits your needs then go for it. Getting €10k for a 5.5 year old Passat isn't bad. Only thing is basic Passat is very basic. Personnally I don't like the rear of the new Passat but that is my opinion.

Thanks for that Bazz.

I thought the same about the engine size on the VW. I remember when I drove the old 1.6 it felt like pushing an elephant, but in the new one it wasn't half as bad.

I take your point about buying a 2nd hand Mondeo for the depreciation, but would I not lose out again when I go to change it in 3 years? Surely I'd get more for a 1 owner from new than a 2 owner with most likely higher mileage.
    I wouldn't mind the 125bhp Zetec, but funds won't stretch that far. The trade in deal from the Ford garage isn't nearly as good as from the VW garage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Jildy

Which VW garage did you go to ??

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks for that Bazz.

I thought the same about the engine size on the VW. I remember when I drove the old 1.6 it felt like pushing an elephant, but in the new one it wasn't half as bad.

I take your point about buying a 2nd hand Mondeo for the depreciation, but would I not lose out again when I go to change it in 3 years? Surely I'd get more for a 1 owner from new than a 2 owner with most likely higher mileage.
    I wouldn't mind the 125bhp Zetec, but funds won't stretch that far. The trade in deal from the Ford garage isn't nearly as good as from the VW garage.

Well your going to lose out on the Mondeo anyway after 3 years as the depreciation is hard but I don't think it will make a difference whether you are the first or second owner. Most dealers might not even ask that question. At the end of the day a 3 year old car has a set price and you may get a few hundred euro extra for it if it is in very good condition or has low mileage.

As for the Passat well they are not cheap either and spec is typical VW but €10k trade in sounds like a good trade-in deal. The 1.6 in the new Passat is VWs FSi engine which has 115bhp and is supposed to run better on Super Unleaded petrol to get that last few bhp.

I've gone to a few:

Belgard
    Ballsbridge
    Bradys
    Park

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

I have a 125bhp Zetec Mondeo (an 01) and although I havent driven the regular LX am very happy with the drive off the zetec, its also a slightly higher spec extras wise and so I'm told compares better on fuel economy.

Unless you are buying it from a main dealer I found when checking prices before buying that it didnt add a major difference between the LX and Zetec overall but definitly worth the difference, that will also help when it comes to re-selling, if you can sell as a Zetec. I'd definitly second what Bazz said about the depreciation on them and wouldnt buy brand new. There's a big difference price wise between them list price and second hand, I seem to remember 03's going for between 15-17k which is massive difference compared to the list price.

I got mine secondhand from the South Dublin Ford Centre in cookstown industrial estate and was pretty impressed overall, was one of the better experiences I've had with a main dealer and they seemed to be more competitivly priced than some of the other Ford main dealers. I also got a very good trade in price as well off them compared to others. Servicing on the Mondeo is not extortionate either, a friend with an 02 Zetec just got the major 3 year service done for €298.00 and this was a pretty comprehensive job.

Apart from what has been suggested...what about a Toyota Avensis, the 1.6 wont challenge the land speed record but I hear the 1.8 is nifty enough and again wont give an ounce of trouble.

Thanks for the advice samo, I'll pop into South Dublin Ford on Saturday. I was looking in Rialto motors at the Mondeo.

I test drove the Avensis last week and didn't like it at all! It felt really plasticy and flimsy. The gear changes were rough at best, and the handbrake felt like it would come off in your hand on a hill start. Not impressed at all for the money.

I think it might come down to value for money at this stage. I am getting a fantastic trade in on the Passat (10K) against a new Passat in a VW garage which would mean I could afford the Comfortline. Little things annoy me about it though, such as they have no alarm and want nearly €500 for one no alloys even on the comfortline etc. Rialto are offering 8.5K against a new Mondeo which would mean I can only afford the LX. However, they are throwing in alarm, alloys, front fogs, sat nav, rear dvd player and an ipod! As close to the Zetec as you can get bar the 6 speed gearbox and the sun roof IMO.

Still caught between the two. I will make up my mind on Saturday hopefully when I can give the two a decent test drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Good luck with the decision! Havent driven the new model Avensis but did like the older one (02). I guess the Passat is gonna hold its value alot more than the Mondeo and one thing to bear in mind is that the extra's your getting on the LX wont add a huge value to the re-sale price when it comes to changing but sure will be nice for you whilst you own it!

Good luck with whatever you go for!

Samo - Just got off the phone to Fort Motors and they are now offering 9018 for my Passat. Just shows you what a bit of bargaining can do! They were originally offering 8!!!!

I'm learning loads about the so called "bottom line" price crap that dealers come out with! Also this book price excuse they give wears a bit thin. I cannot understand how a car can be worth between 6.5K and 10K depending on what garage you go to. It's beyond me!

Advertisement