Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting dates for 1st years

• 08-08-2005 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

i'm hopin to start in UCC in Sep as a first year

does anyone have any idea of the dates first years begin at

cheers
    shell

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Classes start on September 26th (unless you are studying medicine) but since you are a first year, the introduction to your course, registration, campus/library tours and all that takes place in the 2-3-4 weeks before that date.

Registration dates:
    http://www.ucc.ie/admin/registrar/examsrec/regdates.shtml
    Term dates:
    http://www.ucc.ie/admin/registrar/examsrec/termdates.shtml

You might also be interested in your timetable:
    http://timetable.ucc.ie/UpdatedPages/0506/programme.htm

The academic calendar (exact modules you are taking):
    http://www.ucc.ie/academic/calendar/

to be used with the book of modules (detailed module information):
    http://www.ucc.ie/academic/modules/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭shellby

cheers those links are great thanx

shell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Errant11235

What course are you hoping to do in UCC shell? I've my fingers crossed that I get the 500+ points for physics and astrophysics there. Very few if any people here on the board seem to be going there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Ahh, physics was a mere 320 points back in the day when I started it. :)

Plus wasn't physics only 400 odd last year? iirc.

What course are you hoping to do in UCC shell? I've my fingers crossed that I get the 500+ points for physics and astrophysics there. Very few if any people here on the board seem to be going there.

i want to arts. i did my leaving 2 yrs ago so i'm pretty sure i have the points but it's still a bit nerve racking waiting it out
    best of luck on wednesday

• Advertisement

shellby wrote:
    i want to arts. i did my leaving 2 yrs ago so i'm pretty sure i have the points but it's still a bit nerve racking waiting it out
    best of luck on wednesday

What subjects are you hoping to do? (I'm starting an Arts degree in Sept.)

nesf wrote:
    Ahh, physics was a mere 320 points back in the day when I started it. :)

Plus wasn't physics only 400 odd last year? iirc.

Yep I thinks thats all they were, but they jumped from 430 (minimum points) in 2003 to over 480 in 2004. I'm just hoping another such jump doesn't occur.

I think I already asked you about the course on the Physics board Nesf but would you still recommend it? Is it interesting? What are the staff like etc...

In the prospectus for UCC its very vague regarding possible career outlets from the course. Realistically, is it possible to get a high paying job? Or are the jobs mainly in research?

Thanks

nesf wrote:
    What subjects are you hoping to do? (I'm starting an Arts degree in Sept.)

the two i want to keep on in 2nd year are english and history as far as i've gathered you have to pick 2 more is first year and i'de like to do celtic civilisation studies and roman cilisation studies

what about you are? are you hoping to go to UCC too?

Yep I thinks thats all they were, but they jumped from 430 (minimum points) in 2003 to over 480 in 2004. I'm just hoping another such jump doesn't occur.

I think I already asked you about the course on the Physics board Nesf but would you still recommend it? Is it interesting? What are the staff like etc...

In the prospectus for UCC its very vague regarding possible career outlets from the course. Realistically, is it possible to get a high paying job? Or are the jobs mainly in research?

Thanks

The staff in physics in UCC are great, I really cannot say a bad word against them, the department were always very good to me in my years in physics. As for possible career outlets, basically you're looking at a post grad from physics. Nearly all of my old class went that route. I think that one of them did secure good employment straight after the degree though.

A highly paid job is possible, but just like any other degree, you don't just walk into one after getting your degree.

shellby wrote:
    the two i want to keep on in 2nd year are english and history as far as i've gathered you have to pick 2 more is first year and i'de like to do celtic civilisation studies and roman cilisation studies

what about you are? are you hoping to go to UCC too?

Philosophy and Economics for myself. I'm definitely going to UCC.

• Advertisement

well i cant say deffinitely yet but i'll let you know in a week

Ok, thanks Nesf. One last question. Is there much Lab work involved in first year. When I was on campus I didn't see any. Just went to the lecture hall and had a talk. What are the facilities like overall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

Ah first years........ Pat yourselves on the back for choosing UCC. I spent a year in UCD and believe me, UCC is simply the best! Oh I love it and will miss it sorely. 2nd year is definitely the best
    Go to the western star as often as you possibly can

the western star - is that a pub

oh its far, far more than a pub. It's just unreal fun. Thursday nites are a wee bit packed there but it's great. Dancing on the tables is the order of the day. I'll miss it now........... Had my 21st there n everything. Love it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

im not a big fan of the star.

lots of solid pubs in town though.

went to Blu Bambu for the first time the other night. m8 got our group VIP passes, champagne etc etc. good club. sh!te music. and sexy dancers

Ya BluBambu is ok. Just the same as any other club in Cork! Thats what I like about the star, it's different! And you can dance on tables.... woohoo!

Ok, thanks Nesf. One last question. Is there much Lab work involved in first year. When I was on campus I didn't see any. Just went to the lecture hall and had a talk. What are the facilities like overall?

In my day, it was one lab a week for physics, three hours long. The experiments were fine, just there to give you a good grounding in the basic skills you'll need further along the degree. The course has changed, but I think the labs are the same iirc.

The facilities are good. The first year labs were "upgraded" two? years ago. So it's very nice in them.

DawnMc wrote:
    Ya BluBambu is ok. Just the same as any other club in Cork! Thats what I like about the star, it's different! And you can dance on tables.... woohoo!

The charm wears off after a few years ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

nesf wrote:
    The charm wears off after a few years ;)

10 years since I first went there!

• Advertisement

deRanged wrote:
    10 years since I first went there!

Only 5 for me :)

Advertisement