Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linksys Wireless Encryption

• 08-08-2005 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Linksys WRT54GS, and I did have it encrypted to 128bit. My buddy has been staying with me and has a Vaio with an Intel Wireless chip. Whenever the encryption is turned on, the laptop can find the network, but it cannot get an IP address. Tried repairing the connection etc. all the usual stuff, but only when I unsecure the network can the Vaio get an IP address. I've tried this with an Inspiron 510m and same thing, no IP address unless the network is unsecure.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there something I'm not doing? Any help is appreciated. Search function on boards hasn't thrown up anything.

Cheers

bru

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Have you enabled mac filtering ??

Does the laptop even pick up the ssid?

Have you entered the correct key?

Have you limited the ip adresses?

your Encryption is it wpa or wpa2 ??
    If 2 update the intel driver to latest(i had the same problem) had to update the driver for the intel 2200 Bg

What happens if you connect the laptop into the back of the router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I had the same problem when I used WEP encryption on the router. WPA encryption seemed to work fine though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cheers for the relpies. Ill check the stuff you've mentioned later.

When I connect the laptop directly to the router through net cable, it's fine. I can get an IP address in seconds, and also directly access the routers config utility.

Also, should you be able to access your router settings wirelessly; i.e. can you access 192.168.1.1 when you are wirelessly connected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

bruachain wrote:
    Also, should you be able to access your router settings wirelessly; i.e. can you access 192.168.1.1 when you are wirelessly connected?

Yes you should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

i have the same router, just open a browser enter the ip adress of the router
    and the password works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Sounds like theres already a wireless profile set up with that ssid and it doesn't have the wep key, thus can't connect, probably comes up with "limited or no connectivity" ?

Just enable wep, delete the wireless profile, search for available wireless networks, stick in the key and bobs your uncle.

(to delete the profile, wireless connection properties - wireless networks, and delete any networks listed under prefered networks, click ok.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Got a new laptop with Inter wireless, and when i was setting it up, I found my encrypted network, put in the key, and bobs your uncle. My mate has left so I dont need to worry about it anymore!

Cheers for the help..

bru

Advertisement