Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cure for laziness?

• 08-08-2005 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

How can I prevent myself from being so lazy, at the moment i'm failling my exams in college due to chronic procrastination and general mental laziness. Its awful, i can't afford to fail again, i feel like a failure aready. Every time I say to myself 'I'm going to get some proper study done tomorrow' i still end up putting it off and then hating myself for it. i'm not even slightly deppressed so that isn't the reason for my inability to concentrate.

Well really i just wanted to know if anyone knows how i can kickstart my brain into gear?

Heeeeeeelllllppppp appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Maybe you just hate your course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

grey wrote:
    Every time I say to myself 'I'm going to get some proper study done tomorrow' i still end up putting it off and then hating myself for it.

Instead of saying this go and get some study done now, even if it is for a little while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Yeah, there's your damn cure - stop being lazy. No point telling us about it. You can only cure yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Coffee. And sitting down to do it. Really, sadly, there's no magic cure. Just sit down and start studying.

I use hourly 'treats' to motivate myself to study, or set targets, as in once i've finished studying one thing i get some toast/tea/chocolate/jelly babies/to dance around to a loud song/etc.

If you've exams coming up right now just focus on studying for them and passing them - once the papers are finished with then you can try and figure out if you're in the right course, what your motivations are to be in college, etc - but, i'd really emphasise, lay off on any self reflection at the moment, as it can be another excuse to procrastinate.

Go study! And, good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

NoelRock wrote:
    Yeah, there's your damn cure - stop being lazy.

*sigh*

No-one understands lazy people. It's not easy being lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Check out the homeless shelters. Ask yourself: is that what you want to do? Be a lazy bum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm just like this....you guys can say GO STUDY!! all you want, but it never works.

I used to leave study until last day or two, then study frantically and wish damn, why didnt I start earlier.

I wish I wasnt so lazy either. But its honestly something that I really cant help. And I'm not stupid either, I can get very high marks in subjects I enjoyed.

The suggestion to go look at a homeless shelter is actually pretty good. Try imagine yourself working in Supermacs or something for the rest of your life. Ugh. Or in a low paid job with crappy hours forever. Ughhh. Out of everything my parents offered me, money included, thinking about being stuck in a ****hole like supermacs for years without hope really gave me the best motivation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

grey wrote:
    How can I prevent myself from being so lazy, at the moment i'm failling my exams in college due to chronic procrastination and general mental laziness. Its awful, i can't afford to fail again, i feel like a failure aready. Every time I say to myself 'I'm going to get some proper study done tomorrow' i still end up putting it off and then hating myself for it. i'm not even slightly deppressed so that isn't the reason for my inability to concentrate.

Well really i just wanted to know if anyone knows how i can kickstart my brain into gear?

Heeeeeeelllllppppp appreciated.
    Did i post this in my sleep or something?
    Add blackouts to the above if i did.
    Sure sounds like me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

grasshopa wrote:

Wow, what a helpful reply.

Why does everyone assume that a person hates their course because they lack motivation??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

eth0_ wrote:
    Why does everyone assume that a person hates their course because they lack motivation??
    Sometimes its true. People do course that genuinely don't interest them and they loose faith in themselves.

Get a 12 year old to (a) recite the names of the players on his favourite football team (b) trigonometry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Victor that's not really a fair comparison. some people just have trouble concentrating in college/school.

I am doing a part time degree in psychology and I find it extremely hard to concentrate on my course, reading textbooks and writing essays. It really p*sses me off when people suggest my concentration problems are because I don't like psychology, when i've loved the subject since I was a teenager and love reading psych books in my spare time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sorry, I only meant it in the way that if something interests you, you will take extra measures to know about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Victor wrote:
    Sorry, I only meant it in the way that if something interests you, you will take extra measures to know about it.
    Not all the course is intresting, dude. I hate maths, but any computer course I've done, includes alot of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

eth0_ wrote:

The key word was maybe :) It's just a possibility - I know I can NEVER learn something I don't like doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

op i know exactly what your talking about, i have to repeat two exams for college in 8 days, i have noy started studying yet, i came into college this morning to study yet i've been here for an hour and have not started yet, i love my course the two modules i'm repeating, i hate. I'm going to try cukoo's hourly treat method and i'll let you know how i got on :) Good luck in the exams

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Sigh, im in exactly the same boat, have 4 exams starting next monday and just cant make myself do stuff. I know how important they are as if i get through these, iv only 1 year left to have a pretty good degree and a guaranteed safety net to fall back on even if i dont particularly enjoy my course. Its just so broad, i have areas i like which i could comfortably work in but thats only about 10% of it so i have to struggle through the other 90% dazed and confused!

agh! Right. I want 3 hours done by 4.30 today. Raaarrrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭7aken

if its chronic, see a doctor. diabetes can cause mental dismay, maybe just change what you eat. i know this isnt a medical forum but it would be my first port of call..... i know it wont fix everything, only you can fix the get up and go.... it might make things clearer for you though

Dimitri wrote:
    op i know exactly what your talking about, i have to repeat two exams for college in 8 days, i have noy started studying yet, i came into college this morning to study yet i've been here for an hour and have not started yet, i love my course the two modules i'm repeating, i hate. I'm going to try cukoo's hourly treat method and i'll let you know how i got on :) Good luck in the exams

Gav

Ok i'm still in college and still havent studied why oh why there has to be a reason for this, op your not alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭eyedrenalin

Yeah, I used to be really lazy in college. I still [just discussing it at home last night] am very lazy at heart [and in some weird way, kinda proud of that] but I think I've gotten a handle on keeping myself motivated. I'm not offering this info up as a quick fix or anything like that but [below] this definitely worked for me [to some degree].

Firstly, I honestly think that lazyness [not the "I-do-enjoy-a-lie-in-on-a-saturday" kind, but the type that is really debilitating and depressing] is a mild [maybe not even mild] form of clinical depression - a recursive 'loop' of inactivity, self-criticism, mis-directed energy ["I know I should be studying now, and I'll go up to my room just as soon as Muder She Wrote is over"] and validation [making really convincing arguments for myself to excuse myself from doing anything] which builds over time and leads to a real rut.

The terrible 'loop' I find usually follows a pattern, which when I became aware of it, is easy to spot but difficult [in the beginning], but not impossible, to combat.

e.g.

Monday morning. I have a lecture at ten. I live right around the corner from the college. I wake up at twenty to ten. Get up, slowly, fumble about the house and suddenly it's half ten. No point going into the lecture late, get noticed by the lecturer, put up with embarrassment etc. I'll just get the notes. I've nothing until after lunch so i'll not bother moving until lunch time. After a few weeks of this, I stop getting up at twenty to ten, I just set the alarm for lunch time and give monday morning a skip altogether. After a while, the guilt of missing the lectures, coupled with the impending failure of exams etc. leads to self-criticism - "God, why...so lazy... get my **** together" blah blah blah... Then, I used to find that these thoughts would be appeased by my own natural instinct to defend myself and replaced with excuses like "Well, I dont really even like my course" or "It's not a mandatory class" or "**** it, it's college, everybody bums around in college, that's what it's for"... you get the idea... This can only last so long though, before the guilt returns with a vengence with a chaser of self-loathing, just to make you even worse, cutting your motivation down to zero "well... I'm definitely going to fail now, so why bother" and finally we settle into the apathy and indifference. This is when you are so deep in it, that escape seems impossible, and inactivity just forms an ever-present aspect of everyday life.

I don't know how to suggest a solution, for the same reasons that no "how to give up smoking" book has ever worked on me [I just plain love to smoke]. Non-Participation is much easier to live with than failure. No work is obviously much easier than hard work. blah blah blah.

What I would say though, is instead of looking at a solution to the "laziness" issue, I would suggest pulling back a little further [personally] and take stock of the bigger picture. I read alot, in my darkest days, about recovering alcoholics. Although it seems a little off-topic, and possibly extreme, they do have a lot to say about hitting rock bottom and learning to float back to the top. Examine your situation in as honest a manner as possible. Take a hard look at your life and ask some difficult questions.

If you're in college, Is the course you are doing really what you want to do?

If so, then what are your recurring thoughts when it comes to going to college [see above]?

If no, then why are you doing this course? Did you only do it because you felt that you had to do ANY course, because that's what you do when you leave secondary school; perhaps your parents are putting undue pressure on you to succeed [I'm only speculating here, I don't mean to be making assumptions about your personal situations]?

What would be the repercussions of a sudden or drastic change, such as dropping out of your course? What are your fears in relation to making a sudden change or a "drastic" decision? Would you have a support structure in place to help with these changes? I find that the fears of "what might be" can be crippling when it comes to making any kind of decision and trying to beat these fears is an important step.

If at this stage, you decide, "no, I'm gonna stick it out... battle on... etc" {and remember that here is no correct decision save for your own happiness and progress; I think it's terrible that our own happiness is seen as selfish, or at best a low priority- surely ensuring our own happiness is only a bad thing when it's at the expense of others?} then set it clearly in your mind. "I am here because I choose to be here". The important thing here, and it is something that took me a long time to get right, is not to just say it in some empty fashion, but to only begin to say it when you've made enough progress personally to be able to stick to it. You have enough hard, honest reflective contemplation and you'll start to believe in it. Again, referring back to the smoking analogy, there's no point saying "I'm gonna quit today" because you really are still, at heart, a smoker. It's only when you have, what alcoholics refer to as; "a moment of clarity" - some big event which forces a seachange - that you can really let it sit in your mind comfortably and use it as an asset for good, not just further weight adding to your guilt and apathy.

I've written so much here my mind is starting to slow, so I'll just leave it at this:

4 years ago, I graduated from art college and had a string of ****ty jobs but mostly stayed on the dole. A year later, I had a new-born daughter. Still with the dole, I got worse and worse and worse until my then girlfriend kicked me out on my ass and I was on my own. I had a brief fling with coke and booze, but luckily nipped it in the bud, had series of nervous breakdowns and a complete personal collapse. I nearly lost my daughter, the most important thing in the world to me, and my mind! After some serious help from my ex, the strongest most caring person in my universe, I've managed to claw back slowly a decent life for myself. I am currently trying to buy a house for myself, I have an excellent relationship with my daughter and my ex, I hold down a decent 9-5, infact my dream job, with a certain level of responsibility, I bake bread on occasion and I have never, personally, felt so good about myself. I still smoke way too much dope, but I don't let it get on top of me & I do have a problem with being over selfish. I can't tell you the amount of friends and acquaintences that I have lost/pissed off with the 'new me' [I used to be a real pushover too, but now I feel confident in getting what I want. I'm still getting used to this kind of thinking, so I've gone overboard on a few occasions and gotten 'mine' at the expense of others happiness I'll admit including some really awful amoral girl stuff]. I don't think I'll ever be truly 'finished'. You just have to keep working at it and get in the flow of cycles, ups and downs, swings and roundabouts, etc. I know I'm certainly better equiped if nothing else to deal with **** as it gets flung at me, rather than retreating to my bedroom/couch/whatever when **** gets serious.

As you can see, my modesty has taken a serious hit too! I know [reading back over this] that I sound like a real oprah-fan but I'm not some self-help nut or over-zealous, self-orientated type. I just have spent a lot of time [over!] thinking about my situation and trying to resolve it.

Hope this helps.

E

Oh and two final things.

I in no way feel that being on the dole makes a bum! That just happened to be my situation. I know plenty of people on social welfare that for whatever reasons can't get work that still make the most of their day.

And...

The only way to enjoy life is to let that which does not matter truly slide

[robbed from fight club, the most relevant piece of philosophy I've ever taken onboard] :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

Try studying with a friend. I found this worked for me in college. It made it less boring and harder to slack off.

Also don't be daunted by the size of what you have to do. Just start with a modest aim to do a small amount. It may take several false starts but it's easier once you get in your stride.

Don't overdo the coffee or you will just start to shake and get nothing done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

thanks ill keep that in mind!!1 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Actually i heartily agree with the studying with a friend thing, really helped me massively to meet up with the other bums in my course that had to repeat last year and we got really productive stuff done! unfortunately they've been away this year :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

I'm another lazy fecker! I have an exam next Monday and I've done no study. Of course I told myself that I would study gradually over the summer but it didn't happen and working full time doesn't help. Last weekend I could have studied but didn't. Yesterday... nothing. And now here I am browsing boards... :( I know if I fail it will be all my fault... I want to give myself a good kicking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

u could always try stop smoking pot. i find i cant study when ive been smoking drugs. kills the motivation.

i betcha the "op" is a stoner

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Yeah, I used to be really lazy in college. I still [just discussing it at home last night] am very lazy at heart [and in some weird way, kinda proud of that] but I think I've gotten a handle on keeping myself motivated. I'm not offering this info up as a quick fix or anything like that but [below] this definitely worked for me [to some degree].

Firstly, I honestly think that lazyness [not the "I-do-enjoy-a-lie-in-on-a-saturday" kind, but the type that is really debilitating and depressing] is a mild [maybe not even mild] form of clinical depression - a recursive 'loop' of inactivity, self-criticism, mis-directed energy ["I know I should be studying now, and I'll go up to my room just as soon as Muder She Wrote is over"] and validation [making really convincing arguments for myself to excuse myself from doing anything] which builds over time and leads to a real rut.

The terrible 'loop' I find usually follows a pattern, which when I became aware of it, is easy to spot but difficult [in the beginning], but not impossible, to combat.

e.g.

Monday morning. I have a lecture at ten. I live right around the corner from the college. I wake up at twenty to ten. Get up, slowly, fumble about the house and suddenly it's half ten. No point going into the lecture late, get noticed by the lecturer, put up with embarrassment etc. I'll just get the notes. I've nothing until after lunch so i'll not bother moving until lunch time. After a few weeks of this, I stop getting up at twenty to ten, I just set the alarm for lunch time and give monday morning a skip altogether. After a while, the guilt of missing the lectures, coupled with the impending failure of exams etc. leads to self-criticism - "God, why...so lazy... get my **** together" blah blah blah... Then, I used to find that these thoughts would be appeased by my own natural instinct to defend myself and replaced with excuses like "Well, I dont really even like my course" or "It's not a mandatory class" or "**** it, it's college, everybody bums around in college, that's what it's for"... you get the idea... This can only last so long though, before the guilt returns with a vengence with a chaser of self-loathing, just to make you even worse, cutting your motivation down to zero "well... I'm definitely going to fail now, so why bother" and finally we settle into the apathy and indifference. This is when you are so deep in it, that escape seems impossible, and inactivity just forms an ever-present aspect of everyday life.

I don't know how to suggest a solution, for the same reasons that no "how to give up smoking" book has ever worked on me [I just plain love to smoke]. Non-Participation is much easier to live with than failure. No work is obviously much easier than hard work. blah blah blah.

What I would say though, is instead of looking at a solution to the "laziness" issue, I would suggest pulling back a little further [personally] and take stock of the bigger picture. I read alot, in my darkest days, about recovering alcoholics. Although it seems a little off-topic, and possibly extreme, they do have a lot to say about hitting rock bottom and learning to float back to the top. Examine your situation in as honest a manner as possible. Take a hard look at your life and ask some difficult questions.

If so, then what are your recurring thoughts when it comes to going to college [see above]?

If no, then why are you doing this course? Did you only do it because you felt that you had to do ANY course, because that's what you do when you leave secondary school; perhaps your parents are putting undue pressure on you to succeed [I'm only speculating here, I don't mean to be making assumptions about your personal situations]?

What would be the repercussions of a sudden or drastic change, such as dropping out of your course? What are your fears in relation to making a sudden change or a "drastic" decision? Would you have a support structure in place to help with these changes? I find that the fears of "what might be" can be crippling when it comes to making any kind of decision and trying to beat these fears is an important step.

If at this stage, you decide, "no, I'm gonna stick it out... battle on... etc" {and remember that here is no correct decision save for your own happiness and progress; I think it's terrible that our own happiness is seen as selfish, or at best a low priority- surely ensuring our own happiness is only a bad thing when it's at the expense of others?} then set it clearly in your mind. "I am here because I choose to be here". The important thing here, and it is something that took me a long time to get right, is not to just say it in some empty fashion, but to only begin to say it when you've made enough progress personally to be able to stick to it. You have enough hard, honest reflective contemplation and you'll start to believe in it. Again, referring back to the smoking analogy, there's no point saying "I'm gonna quit today" because you really are still, at heart, a smoker. It's only when you have, what alcoholics refer to as; "a moment of clarity" - some big event which forces a seachange - that you can really let it sit in your mind comfortably and use it as an asset for good, not just further weight adding to your guilt and apathy.

I've written so much here my mind is starting to slow, so I'll just leave it at this:

4 years ago, I graduated from art college and had a string of ****ty jobs but mostly stayed on the dole. A year later, I had a new-born daughter. Still with the dole, I got worse and worse and worse until my then girlfriend kicked me out on my ass and I was on my own. I had a brief fling with coke and booze, but luckily nipped it in the bud, had series of nervous breakdowns and a complete personal collapse. I nearly lost my daughter, the most important thing in the world to me, and my mind! After some serious help from my ex, the strongest most caring person in my universe, I've managed to claw back slowly a decent life for myself. I am currently trying to buy a house for myself, I have an excellent relationship with my daughter and my ex, I hold down a decent 9-5, infact my dream job, with a certain level of responsibility, I bake bread on occasion and I have never, personally, felt so good about myself. I still smoke way too much dope, but I don't let it get on top of me & I do have a problem with being over selfish. I can't tell you the amount of friends and acquaintences that I have lost/pissed off with the 'new me' [I used to be a real pushover too, but now I feel confident in getting what I want. I'm still getting used to this kind of thinking, so I've gone overboard on a few occasions and gotten 'mine' at the expense of others happiness I'll admit including some really awful amoral girl stuff]. I don't think I'll ever be truly 'finished'. You just have to keep working at it and get in the flow of cycles, ups and downs, swings and roundabouts, etc. I know I'm certainly better equiped if nothing else to deal with **** as it gets flung at me, rather than retreating to my bedroom/couch/whatever when **** gets serious.

As you can see, my modesty has taken a serious hit too! I know [reading back over this] that I sound like a real oprah-fan but I'm not some self-help nut or over-zealous, self-orientated type. I just have spent a lot of time [over!] thinking about my situation and trying to resolve it.

Hope this helps.

E

Oh and two final things.

I in no way feel that being on the dole makes a bum! That just happened to be my situation. I know plenty of people on social welfare that for whatever reasons can't get work that still make the most of their day.

And...

[robbed from fight club, the most relevant piece of philosophy I've ever taken onboard] :cool:

Bravo my friend, I enjoyed that post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

e.g.

Hope this helps.

E

Oh and two final things.

And...

Its a thread about being lazy, why would you think the people reading it would read a post that long? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

They can read it to avoid doing study, hell thats what I did. Thems wise words in that piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Sometimes not studying can be through a fear of failure - 'failing because i didn't do any work for it' is easier than 'failing after i worked really hard for the exam'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭eyedrenalin

mmm... thanks for the compliments :-)

After all my talk, I realised today that all the time I spent browsing boards is perhaps a device to keep me from doing my actual job!

Ah, who cares really anyways...

ATB,

E

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

With regards to the actual studying end of it as opposed to general laziness:

To elaborate on the 'study with friends' thing. Set yourselves some manner of quiz - quiz each other even after each study period. Even if you study alone, meet up with a friend and go through what you're supposed to have covered that day.

Lock yourself in your room if you have to. Actually do it. Lock the door and put the key somewhere so you have to make an effort to leave - it'll make it harder for you to just wander downstairs for that 5 minutes that turns into 2 hours. Also - if you have a TV or games console in your room move it. Anything that can distract you really - books, magazines, porn - move it somewhere else. Don't study by a window - it's amazing how fascinating the street outside becomes when you're trying to work. Believe me - I've wasted hours at my desk watching people pass by outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

while i totally understand that depression might be a cause of general unwillingness to work/study etc, you have to be careful not to use it as an excuse. sometimes you just have to get up off your arse and put in da effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I suffer from this from time to time, i have an automatic cure though, if i fail, i go on a guilt trip and that gives me the push i need to study because i think of the consequences of my failure.

Are you happy with what you are studying? I find i only get mental lazyness for study on topics that don't interest me in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The suggestion to go look at a homeless shelter is actually pretty good. Try imagine yourself working in Supermacs or something for the rest of your life. Ugh. Or in a low paid job with crappy hours forever. Ughhh. Out of everything my parents offered me, money included, thinking about being stuck in a ****hole like supermacs for years without hope really gave me the best motivation.

I know people who left school in third year and earn 1500 euros per week in an easy job, and I know someone who went to college etc and works in Centra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I need a cure too, im a right lazy bastard. I think its a disease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

When I was extremely depressed while back, I was like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

grasshopa wrote:
    No matter contemplating on whether you like/dislike it is just another distraction! Use the reward method that i think someone mentioned to get some study done and once you do, think over your course and decide what you WOULD be motavated to do...
    Or just marry a rich man/woman- whatever you're into for a future...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I used to have serious problems studying too, in first year it was Yahoo Chat (please, don't give out to me over that, I was new enough to computers!)
    in second year it was Unreal Tournament
    in third year it was my neopets (believe it or believe it not!)
    ahh... then I had to repeat third year... that was not fun, only 2 subjects, but enough to get me to get my ass in gear...

In fourth year, I set myself goals and rewards, I would study for 50mins, then go out for a smoke, check my mail for 5 mins, and then back in again, Monday nights I went home to watch 24 (series 1!!)
    I studied with friends when I didn't understand something, did all of the past papers and worked my ass off...
    You have to turn off the tv, don't even turn it on, get away from all distractions, do not let yourself leave the library, after awhile, you'll start reading the notes, cause even the most unmotivated person will do something to pass the time!
    If you have a partner in crime, i.e. someone you can call to help you waste time, then don't call them, even turn off your mobile phone when you are in your "study mode".
    What happened at the weekend will not help you pass your exams, neither will knowing who won the match or how good looking a girl/guy is. It's only going to be for the next week or so, your life should now be your exams and nothing else...

Repeats are a pain, I know, but if you can just give up a few weeks, it'll be worth it, and when you pass your exams, start as you mean to go on, a little bit of work at the start will save you alot of work coming up to the exams!
    best of luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

eth0_ wrote:

because a lot of people (me included) have the problem of automatically avoiding anything that doesnt engage them. so if they dont like a particular subject and love another which one will they work at more?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

skywalker wrote:
    Its a thread about being lazy, why would you think the people reading it would read a post that long? :p

why did you post his entire message as a quote for the 2nd time on that page you tard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭eyebrows

Just one thing to add...

I'm also a bit of a lazy bastard when it comes to studying but one thing that helps me is to do a bit of exorcise (20 press-up or something) just to get your blood flowing and you'll find it much easier to start (as starting is the hardest part). Also if you have your notes on a computer print them off. It’s much easier (for me anyway) to study from paper than a computer (plus minesweeper just keeps calling my name if I use a computer)

Of course starting them press-ups is now the problem :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

So is there any chance of anyone abbreviating these three pages into one conclusive post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Lazyness is often confused with Attention Deficit Disorder. Get checked out maybe? (although in Ireland id say no doctor would entertain the idea of the condition even existing)

In fairness most teachers recognise and report to parents the possibility of ADD earlier on, in school usually. I know my problem is a complete apathy as to where my life is going and indeed i'm following this thread for the hope of an easy cure and not seriously wishing to change anything about myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

3 Things -

1. I will usually avoid doing things if I feel they cannot be done right - ie. I can't make myself do 3 days study when I know 3 weeks is required. Its beacuse I can be a bit of a perfectionist etc. etc. - means I'd sometimes do nothing rather than partially doing something/doing it badly.

2. In my experience sitting on the couch watching the Dail coverage while the torment of doing whatever task it is hangs over you like a black cloud is very often worse than just forcing yourself to do a bit. Start small, if its worth doing - you'll feel very good after getting over the first small hurdle or two.

3. Talk to friends/colleagues/peers - you're rarely the first person to walk down that path/fail that exam or whatever - Learn from other people successes/failures, listen to advice & ask questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Lazyness is often confused with Attention Deficit Disorder. Get checked out maybe? (although in Ireland id say no doctor would entertain the idea of the condition even existing)

Is it medically acceptable ANYWHERE?

Advertisement