Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

2 screens from 1 PC? is it possible

• 08-08-2005 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

sorry it this is the wrong forums. didnt know where to put it,

Ok, What i would like to do is have 2 screens running from my PC, each screen would work as a stand alone screen, meaning if i opened a page on one it wouldn't open the same page on the other, I want to be able to use each screen to do different things,

At the back of my PC there is a graphics card and thats where my screen is running from at the moment, the normal input for the screen/monitor is covered with a cap, (like that when i got it ) if i plug a screen into that will it work the way i want?

any ideas and help would be great,

thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If it's covered with a cap, what's your monitor plugged into?

(Seriously though, many new video cards come with two outputs, often one analog and one digital. If your spare monitor is a match for the capped socket, plug it in and bring up Control Panel > Display > Settings. Two monitors should show up there now. If they don't, make sure you have the latest driver for your video card.)

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

NeVeR wrote:

At the back of my PC there is a graphics card and thats where my screen is running from at the moment, .

I said my monitor was in my graphics card ^^.

I do have 2 inputs on my graphics card, i dont have a second screen yet but i want to get one, i will check what you said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was being sarcastic.

You don't have two inputs on your card, you have two outputs.

If one of them is longer and thinner than a regular video socket, it's DVI; you'll need a display with DVI-in (usually a flat panel). If you post the make and model of the card someone will know exactly what's what.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

i have a GeForce™ FX 5200 link http://www.nvidia.com/page/fx_5200.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

the second output is usually a DVI output for use with high quality lcd screens, though if you want to connect a regular second monitor you can purchase a DVI to VGA adaptor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

DVI to VGA adaptors are usually thrown in for free with graphics cards too. If you bought your graphics card yourself (i.e. the PC didn't come with it), you probably have one knocking about the place already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

NeVeR wrote:
    Ok, What i would like to do is have 2 screens running from my PC, each screen would work as a stand alone screen, meaning if i opened a page on one it wouldn't open the same page on the other, I want to be able to use each screen to do different things,
    If you connect two screens straight into two outputs then they will both show the same thing.

What you can do is set up the two screens to act like one big screen where the desktop is srpead out between the two screens.
    then have one program on running on one one screen and one on the the other. like you can do now having both program windows wide by side on one screen just on a bigger scale.

you need an adaptor for that, can;t remember the letters KVA or something like that I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

you need an adaptor for that, can;t remember the letters KVA or something like that I think.

A KVM Switch is for connecting 2 pcs to one monitor, one keyboard and one mouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭jamescrombie

I have set these up before but i used a MATROX dual screen graphics card...

Advertisement