Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying first car

Options
  • 08-08-2005 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

After years of prevaricating i finally decided to give in and get driving lessons. I got myself insured on a relatives car for very little and thats grand for a bit of practise but i want to start thinking about buying a car.

The only problem is that i have no idea what car to buy. Im 33 so insurance shouldnt be too massive even on a first provisional but i guess ill have to stick to a 1L or 1.3L. I dont want to be stuck with a micra or starlet so can anyone suggest a good car that i can pick up second hand for reasonably cheap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What's your budget? I wouldn't bother going beyond 1.4L cos you're unlikely to get insured on a provisional on anything bigger.
    Also: you should apply for your driving test straight away, the waiting list is about a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Im on a 1.4 and i'm only 19 driving two months.
    I don't know really what car you should by. That is something up to you. buy something nice , that you like. Pick a few cars out and the guys can say if they any good or not.
    I myself am a Rover fan and they for nothing these days, lovely car only for the HGF problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 cmaclo

Whatever you do dont buy a Fiat.. it was my first car and it was disasterous.. so then for my birthday my mam suprised me with a new car... another Punto! (not meaning to sound ungreatful here).. that car also cost me a fortune in repairs....

Now i have a hyundai coupe and i loooove it :)
    (it is a girly car tho!)

if ur on a tight budget go for an old but reliable car... like a 95/96 Corrolla etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whats your budget and just how boring do you want to be? If you have decent cash to throw at a car try to find an early baby Skoda, if the budget is more like 3 grand then buy a Micra (sorry!).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Ford Focus all the way..........great car ( if it meets your budget, insurance, needs criteria)

• Advertisement
Advertisement