Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL dies when phone rings?

• 08-08-2005 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Anyone seen this before? Eircom DSL drops the connection when the phone rings and stays down until the call ends. DSL Sync light goes off on the router, http://192.168.1.254 says the status is "Waiting for DSL" and stays like that until the line is free.

Happens all the time.

Anyone any clues or ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Do you have microfilters installed at all sockets that have phones connected to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Used to happen to me til I opened up the payphone in my house and put a filter on the line there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Further on from the last two this will happen if you dont have dsl filters on all phone sockets. Do you have one on your sky box as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

from the eircom box where the wires come into the house, we have:

a wire for the phone downstairs terminating with a single rj11 box
    a hard wire going to the sky box
    a hard wire going to the eircom phonewatch alarm
    a wire coming upstairs as an extension terminating another single rj11 box where my filter is.

you guys are saying i'll need a filter for the main phone downstairs and one for the sky box too?

i don't see how i can put one on the phonewatch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

This used happen to me all the time, so annoying, was dreading the sound of the phone ringing....

...can't remember how I solved it though, It might have been something to do with plugging out something....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

jerry, basically yes. anywhere you have something connected to the phone, you need a filter. otherwise the device connect will hold the signal when a call comes in and block your internet connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

As stated, you must put a filter on all connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

ciaranfo wrote:
    As stated, you must put a filter on all connections.
    Except your ADSL modem ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You need a filter on your modem too iirc... obviously not the same one that you use for your phone. Usually the twin one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Try this:

Begin by unplugging everything from every telephone point in the house.

Locate your master phone socket (other sockets can be used, but for the best broadband connection you should use the master phone socket).
    If this isn’t obvious, go outside the house and find the Eircom junction box. Follow path of cable to determine where it enters the house – possibly through a door frame, window frame or through the wall
    The master phone socket is the first Eircom phone socket after the cable enters the house. You should plug a filter into every wall socket where you have either a telephone, fax or dial-up modem connected

Plug the Broadband filter directly into the master phone socket.
    The filter is split into 2 sides
    One is marked ‘DSL’ – this is the digital side
    The other is marked ‘Phone’ – this is the analogue side

The dsl cable (RJ11) plugs directly into the DSL side. The other end plugs into the modem itself.
    If the supplied DSL cable is too short, get an extension cable.
    Ensure that the extension cable has an RJ11 connector at each end, and is not more than 10 metres long.
    For optimal Broadband performance, use the original dsl cable supplied connected to the master phone socket.

Your phone, fax, double adaptor (any analogue telephony device) plugs into the Phone side.

If you have additional sockets in use in your house, make sure they are filtered, including Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

Just being reading the threads and wonder if anyone can help with a problem I've had since going live with broadband.

Coming from the master TE socket I have 3 extension cables. 1 of these lines is split in the attic to form another feed (which feeds the broadband) I have my modem (Zyxel 600) connected to one of these lines, even though its a twin filter i don't have a telephone connected to it. I have filters on all the extensions.

All of the telephone extensions worked perfectly until I went live with broadband.

Now only 1 of my extensions work properly, let me explain:

Extension 1 - a single feed from the TE socket connected to a payphone.
    Extension 2 - a single feed from the TE socket connected to a telephone
    Extension 3 - a single feed from the TE socket split in the attic to make two feeds, 1 to the modem and 1 to a telephone/fax.
    I have no phone connected to the master TE box.

The set up is exactly as was before broadband, I was on dial up for many years and no problems.

Now:

Payphone doesn't ring and you can't answer the call there, but i can dial out from there on the payphone.

Telephone fax is dead when connected, can't dial/fax out or receive calls or faxes.

The strange thing is if I plug an ordinary telephone handset into either or both of these feeds, the phone works perfectly.

Broadband works perfectly. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what migt be causing this problem and is there anything I can do the will aloow me to be able to use the payphone and the fax on these lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Jerry,
    AFAIK you also need some kind of a filter or switch on your monitored alarm. A call to the eircom BB Support will clarify what you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

jerryadams wrote:
    from the eircom box where the wires come into the house, we have:

a wire for the phone downstairs terminating with a single rj11 box
    a hard wire going to the sky box
    a hard wire going to the eircom phonewatch alarm
    a wire coming upstairs as an extension terminating another single rj11 box where my filter is.

you guys are saying i'll need a filter for the main phone downstairs and one for the sky box too?

i don't see how i can put one on the phonewatch?
    If you have a monitored alarm you need a technician installation for broadband. If you had a tech install, you do not need filters as the box supplied has one built in. Don't be surprised if you didn't get a tech install and the alarm fails to trigger notification to the monitoring centre when it's supposed to.

It is what it's.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

it could possibly be due to high-frequency harmonics generated in your telephone when it rings, which happen to just get inside the DSL passband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

It could be that you have too many devices connected to the phone line.
    Every line has an REN of 4 and every device has one as well. If the total number of RENs from all the connected devices exceeds 4 then you will have problems.

You may need to do a little rewireing to get the best performance. From the master junction bx you take a single feed and run it to the modem where you will be using broadband.
    Then take another feed and run it to the alarm, then you take the return feed from the alarm and run it to all the other phones in the house.

You then need to install a DSL splitter for your alarm and that will block all the DSL signals from going to all the other phones bar the broadband. You may also need a line amplifier to increase the REN on the line to support the extra devices.

You will need to get eircom out to sort this for you as they will have the right termination equipment for your alarm, which will feed all the other phones on the line. (see the thread on installing BB with an alarm, it explains it better)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

jerryadams, If all the above filtering still does not solve the probelm, I suggest looking at the firmware of the netopia router eircom sulpply if your using it.
    The new updated firmware seems to cause this problem too, Ive dealt with over 15 or so lines where filters were all installed properly and downgrading the firmware helped.What you should look for is version 7.3.3 R0.
    Anything above that i.e the specific eircom firmware seems to cause the dsl sync problem as well

Soory to bring up this post again but this problem is still rearing its ugly head.
    All sockets are mirco filtered the Masterbox having the double dsl and analog filter attached.
    I then removed ALL other connections in the house so the only working phone socket in the house is the one in the office (master box) that has had a mircofilter installed AND an inbuilt mircofilter box as well, both tested and both have DSL sync problems. Contacted Eircom and now ESATBT about it and problem still happens,they have tested line now twice locally from the exchange. My back wall is literly touching the local exchange.
    I dont know completely lost at this point so annoyed. As now the home is becoming a home office so phone is constantly going.
    Any help or advise or someone I could contact to maybe get this resolved once and for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

ciaranfo wrote:
    You need a filter on your modem too iirc... obviously not the same one that you use for your phone. Usually the twin one....
    It depends many Routers/Modems now have no prob with unfiltered lines, it's up to the modem itself - mine has none.

Anyone help with this?
    Just to let you know I spent the morning in the attic and Ive disconnected EVERY SINGLE living connection from both ends except the master line which runs into the office and I still get the dsl sync problem.
    Just wondering I cant remember this problem when I was on a 512kb connection (not to say it did or didnt happen), could it be that my line just cant handle 2MB is that possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

If you need to try that just call ur ISP (eircom or bt) and tell them to give ua temporary downgrade back to 512....

TBH it sounds like stupid wiring and to rule it out id connect the BB router at the side of ur house where it enters the premesis. Naturally thats just me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Try with another modem

tried with both 600 Prestige and the eircom 3334 and 3346 models all same problem.
    id connect the BB router at the side of ur house where it enters the premesis
    How do u do that? there just cables not actualy rj connector!!

The box thats outside the house where u line comes in how many chunky cables should be in there
    3? 1 to carry line in to the house(from the street)
    1 to carry line inside the house(throught the frame of door to Master box)
    There is another one there that I dont know what its for we dont have an alrm or anything else?

UPDATE : 23/11/05
    Yet another phone call to BT Tech Support and they want to check the line for the 2nd time from the local exchange. They want to test it a different way, would they not to a full test to make sure everything was workin in the 1st place?

Nobody?
    Idea's suggestions?
    Information on the box thats outside your house would b nice whats it supposed to look like inside etc, thanks

OK well then can anyone suggest any particular person in BT I can get onto to get this problem solved once and for all. I know guys on eircom bb have emailed phil nolan but is there someone like that in BT I can ring\ email?

Just another update. So after 4 months of pissing about changing routers\modems\cabling the expense of eircom engineer coming out and an electrician. My problems SEEMS to have been solved.
    They changed my cable AND put me into a new router at the local exchange and hey presto, no more dsl sync failure and no more loud static when making a call, eventually. If anyone has weird problems and know for sure wiring in their house is good, suggest this to ericom\BT maybe itll help some

Advertisement