Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star-Adserver appearing in browser history ?

Options
  • 08-08-2005 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Boards seems to be slow and when using the back button I have these star adserver pages which means back doesn't work sometimes??
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

zod wrote:
    Boards seems to be slow and when using the back button I have these star adserver pages which means back doesn't work sometimes??

Is it IE your using, id recommend firefox, its easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

That star server add thing is wrecking my head too.
    I followed advice given on a related thread an put an entry in my hosts file.
    It works fine loading new pages but trying to go back is a total pain in the buttocks. It's even worse after posting a reply and then trying to go back to a previous thread.

Yes I'm using IE, please don't say "use Firefox its easier".
    What could be easier than clicking a "back" button?

Most people would expect Boards to work equally well regardless of operating system, browser or whatever.

I know Boards has to make a buck but this is making a misery out of something that used to be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Sorry for re-opening this old thread, but this only started happening to me tonight. I'm often on boards and this is the first time I've encountered this. Is there anything I can do to avoid this problem when using the 'back' button? Yes - I use IE

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Are you clicking back when a page is trying to load or afterwards? The server used by the ad company seems to be broken, which is probably related to this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Agghhh. From time to time on boards over the last couple of days, IE windows are been opened up pointing to a star-adserver page that does not exist. I get about 50 windows and I have to close the boards.ie page before I can close the other pages.
    Whats going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

that sound like spyware/ malware.
    download and run thisand this and stop looking a mucky sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

No issues here, and I run IE, I know one or two folks are having problems though.

No browser snobbery please, nothing wrong with IE bar a lack of tabbed browsing.

I can recommend spybot too, excellent little program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Sparky-s wrote:
    Is it IE your using, id recommend firefox, its easier
    Especially if you use the NoScript extension and block all but boards.ie from loading :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Silvera is/was having a problem using firefox, he keeps getting a pop-up related to Star-Adserver. I'm using Opera 8.5, every page on boards "hangs"
    waiting "connecting to remote host star-adserver.com".

Last night I left a page to "resolve" and 1 hr 10 mins later it still had'nt done so!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

rb_ie wrote:
    Especially if you use the NoScript extension and block all but boards.ie from loading :)

Wait a minute......I said that last year.

And in this case FF still loads ok, but the ad banner has an "Error: Host Not Accessible" in place.

www.star-adserver.com must be down! Or there could be a DNS error.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Same problem here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ditto. Back has to be pressed twice to get past the adserver page. Lots of auto refreshing too. (ie every 20 or 30 seconds, "browser click")

Pain in the proverbial. Can admins not turn off adserver within boards/vbulletin while the adserver site is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

There you go Calibos, no sooner do you ask and its done.. :)

Thanks to Ecksor, we appear to have gotten speed boost.

Three Cheers

Hip Hip..

Is that why for about 60 seconds the lights went out?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

There is always some collateral damage when good things happen:)

V.

Dubya!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Vexorg wrote:
    There you go Calibos, no sooner do you ask and its done.. :)

Thanks to Ecksor, we appear to have gotten speed boost.

Three Cheers

Hip Hip..

Ya got to give these admins/site owners a kick up the backside to get them moving sometimes. We the non paying customers ask, nay demand that these things be dealt with more quickly in future. After all its we the consumers that don't pay your wages!

:D

Advertisement