Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Irish" john Duddy

• 08-08-2005 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭

Heard a lot of good words for this fighter but I haven't had the oppertunity to see him fight. By the sounds of it, it looks like Ireland could have a top fighter on our hands in the coming years with Duddy. Himself vs Macklin would make for an exciting fight.

Has anybody seen this young man in action? What do you know about him

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Ive been hyping him up a little bit on this forum because I know he's going to become a world champ , he's got serious power and would destroy Macklin .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

dont know much about him....only bits and pieces I have read.Hopefully one for the future

Apparently Duddy has been offered a contract by Don King and is currently mulling over wheather he should sign it or not .

he's fighting again on the 17th of September against a so far unconfirmed opponent .

he one last night with a first round knockout over Joseph Brady a fighter with a record of 13-4-1 going into the fight .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

That sounded like a very impressive win last night, 1:01 of the first round wasn't it? Are there any clips online of Mr Duddy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eddie316

Hi Guys i hope you dont mind me posting a website for john - im currently in the middle of building it for him so check back often and hope to have all fight reviews - pictures and hope some videos etc

www.john-duddy.co.uk

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

Must keep an eye on that site, I've never seen Duddy in action before :\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Big Ears wrote:
    Apparently Duddy has been offered a contract by Don King and is currently mulling over wheather he should sign it or not .

Have you got a source for this?

Would be interested in reading about it, haven't had a chance to see him but have read the reports of his last 4 or 5 fights and interviews with him, it definitely looks promising!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eddie316

site has improved since this mornig!! everythng links together better now - just gotta add the pics of some fights etc and should be nearly done - hope to eventually add a message board or guest book at least

spoke to john yesterday for a bit.... he's hoping to fight again around nov 4th but no idea who against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Eddie I have a photo at home of the Irish team before they travelled to the four nations in Killarney 2002. It has John Duddy & James Moore along with the rest of the team and also Charlie Nash was one of the coaches. If you give me your email address I can forward it to you in the morning.

Duddy is now ranked 11th by the NABF and 12th by the USBA , he is outside the top 20th of the NABA and the NABO rankings I can't get a hold of .

This means Duddy could fight for one of these titles in the near future , and holding one of these titles almost guarentees a shot at one of the 4 major titles .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Sgt Slaughter

Saw him box when i was working in America. Hes big over there with the Irish community and really pulls the crowds. Hes boxing out of Queens, New York at the moment, i think. Looks good, especially since he got his hair cut :D Hes on the tele over there aswell so hes deffinitely an up and coming

He is now ranked 15th by the WBA , although slightly annoyingly they have him listed as from GB .

He's fighting on the 4th of February against Julio jean 7-6-1(3Ko's) and then again on the 16th of March against a yet unamed opponent .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Boxrec have him ranked 26th and have him as British too despite having his official nickname as "Ireland's John Duddy"

when he is on his way down he will be Irish.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/02/05/story243216.html

05/02/2006 - 10:58:16

Unbeaten Derry middleweight John Duddy admittedly had "the toughest fight of his career" overnight in Boston.

Duddy had to be at his aggressive best to pull off a 10-round points victory over durable Haitian fighter Julio Jean in front of 1,317 spectators at The Castle, Park Plaza.

It was only the second time since turning pro that the 26-year-old Irishman was forced to go the distance.

However, there was a degree of comfort for Duddy in the end - the three referees handed him an unanimous verdict of 100-90, 100-90 and 99-91.

Having chalked up his 15th win (13 KOs), Duddy told reporters: "Jean was very durable, slick and crafty. He was backing up a lot and trying to catch me when I was coming in.

"I reckon I learned more in this fight than I did in the 14 before it.

"I'm glad I got the victory and it was good experience. I should have let my punches flow a little more than just trying to land big shots."

Duddy returns to the ring at New York's Madison Square Garden on March 16 for a crack at the Continental Americas title against current holder Shelby Pudwill. The Dakota fighter has lost only two of his 23 fights to date.

'John Duddy faces Shelby Pudwill at MSG

New York-Fan favorite Ireland's John Duddy (15-0, 13 KO's) will be back in the Big Apple spotlight and looking to roll off his 16th consecutive win when the middleweight battles Shelby Pudwill (21-2-1, 9KO's) for the WBC Intercontinental Americas Middleweight Championship in the main event at "Shamrock Express."

The bout headlines an Irish Boxing extravaganza on Thursday night, March 16 at the Theater at Madison Square Garden, the night before St. Patrick's Day.

Also on the highly competitive "Shamrock Express" undercard is another Irish-born standout, light middleweight James Moore (3-0, 2 KO's), female fighter Maureen Shea (3-0, 2KO's) from the Bronx, Mark Wright and Manhattan's Peter "Kid Chocolate" Quillin (2-0, 2KO's).'

From East Side Boxing :www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=6013&more=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I'm hoping to get to this fight.

Duddy stopped Pudwill in the first round to gain the WBC continental Americas title which will hopefully get him ranked with the WBC . I would like to see a good step up in opposition soon , Pudwill's record may have looked nice but it was padded and in all honesty a step backwards .

James Moore stopped Jose Felix in the third round of their bout last night , Moore is now 5-0-0(4Ko's) while Felix dropped to 9-3-2(3Ko's) .

Shea , Wright and Quillin all won . Clare heavyweight James Clancy improved to 7-0-0 (1Ko) with a UD of Mitchell Rose now 2-10-1(2Ko's) .

• Advertisement

Duddy's current ranking with the orgs is as follows: Not in WBO and IBF top 15 .
    WBC=27th
    WBA=13th
    10th NABO=(WBO)
    5th USBA(IBF)
    11th NABF(WBC)
    NABA(WBA , not ranked)

NABO , NABF and NABA are titles in which you have to be living in North America to win and in the United States for the USBA .

Duddy beat Alfredo Cuevas:http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=021384
    two days ago by corner stoppage after the 7th round . I wathced the fight and Duddy was very good . He has got a great jab , has quick hands , bobbed and weaved well , keeps his hands up , very good power and threw good combinations . However on the negative side he doesn't move his head enough , can be easy to hit at times and can drop his left hand while moving backwards .
    His chin seems fairly good(he was dropped early in his career) so I don't think he has any problems there .

To quote George Forman: 'If he can develop that left jab he can be a world champion'

13th with WBA
    25th WBC
    unranked IBF
    unranked WBO
    7th with NABF(WBC)
    NABA unranked(WBA)
    4th with USBA(IBF , no one ranked 1st or 2nd)
    10th with NABO(WBO)

All these rankings are before the Cuevas bout so expect some to improve , notably with the WBC(as it was WBC continental americas title) and NABF .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Talk of him fighting jim rock in ireland. Should be a convincing win for duddy if all the hype is true. Plus JR hits hard but hes way past his best.

Jim Rock doesn't hit hard , 8ko's in 28 wins and despite Jimmy Magee saying he 'might not have a lot of knockouts but he hits hard' it's simply untrue .

Rock is fairly durable but has been stopped Takaloo and Ensley Bingham , no real shame there but if those guys can stop ya John Duddy definetly will .

Duddy has the better jab too and the jab is Jim Rock's best attribute so that really ****s him up . Expect Duddy to stop Rock in about 4 rounds with Rock landing the odd clean right hand that doesn't hurt Duddy . Of course this is all subject to the fight going ahead .

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jayroyal

Jim rock is tough and chin is good enough but not as good as some think to be honest he's beaten noboby's and i.ve been told by people who have sparred him he a very weak puncher for a pro so i expect duddy to walk straight through him in the first three rounds. Duddy is going to be world class when he bangs rock out so quick he'll beome a big name in ireland just like he is in new york.

Duddy is now ranked 6th by the WBO
    and 9th with the NABO(WBO) .

Now how exactly does that work :D , ah sanctioning bodies you never know what they'll do . So have even moved dead people up 2 places in their rankings .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rory1888

Gents,

I'm a Derry Man (Living in England...for my sins!), and I've been following the progress of John since his 5th fight, he looks a great prospect, due to fight Rock for the Irish belt on Aug 22th (if it's agreed...if it is, Rock, yer going on your arse!)
    I've been on to the administrator before on Boxrec about calling John "British" and from "L*****Derry"....(Can't even type it!) - Anyway he changed the LD bit to Derry, but wouldn't change the British bit, as officially we are still part of the UK....
    Anyway stubbled across your thread when I was checking out to see if I could find anything on John's next fight. - If it's going ahead as planned it'll be on the undercard of the Rahman fight on Aug 22th.

Slan

Rory

Babybing wrote:
    Talk of him fighting jim rock in ireland. Should be a convincing win for duddy if all the hype is true. Plus JR hits hard but hes way past his best.

Na, Babybing - they are talking about it happening in Las Vegas....that's where Rock will crumble into pebbles..

eddie316 wrote:
    Hi Guys i hope you dont mind me posting a website for john - im currently in the middle of building it for him so check back often and hope to have all fight reviews - pictures and hope some videos etc

www.john-duddy.co.uk

cheers

Hi Eddie, Had a wee look at your site - and there's just a few wee mistakes there -

Irish has a capital I
    John Duddy was born in Derry (City) not County Derry - County Derry covers too much ground.

Your Nickname is wrong ("Irelands")

Hope you don't mind me pointing out these few things - fairplay to you for creating the site, I know if I was building one I'll like people to point out any wee mistakes.

....oh one other thing...he is Irish (no matter what BoxRec says!) - so could you not get the www.John-Duddy.ie address instead! :D ...

• Advertisement

Boxrec normally have the fighter down by what their passport says . John Duddy has an irish passport but John Shep(boxrec's owner) seems to be a sectarian sort of guy.(that's according to some of the claims on boxrec about things he's said .)

Duddy now 23rd with the WBC .

WBA=11th
    WBO=5th
    IBF=unranked
    WBC=23rd
    NABO(WBO)=6th
    NABA(WBA)=not ranked
    NABF(WBC)=7th
    USBA(IBF)=unknown , presumely no lower than last ranking of 4th .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭malinh

i have seen him fight twice in recent memory. may be heading to msg in sept to see him fight:D I was very suprised the first time i saw him fight, i had him down as a bit of a bruiser i.e all out attack not much else. HAPPY to say i was wrong. while he can do this, he was very smart, picked his punches and showed a maturity which many promisnig young fighters lookin to make a name for themselves seldom have.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DiscoHugh

Yeah I've been on to box rec about the whole nationality thing as well the guy is an ignorant prick

we went back and forth until i eventually just said "here's an idea how about getting in touch with the guy himself to find out his nationality..I mean if anyone knows John Duddy's nationality, it's John Duddy right?"

six months later and still no reply :D

he's been well managed and brought along well. Yory Boy is well past it but is definitely a good gate keeper. basically if he beats campas he has a shot at going all the way, if he doesn't it was all hype...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

eddie316 wrote:

www.john-duddy.co.uk

cheers

The link is dead - I am probably the main editor (at least one of them) on his
    wiki page. I would be very interested to see the finish article!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

The link is dead - I am probably the main editor (at least one of them) on his
    wiki page. I would be very interested to see the finish article!

further to Boxrecs I have put the point that they will not change his natioality on their Wiki page - if you get a chance please go over and back me up on the page or else I look like a lone nutcase (but maybe I am!):eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxrec.com

Advertisement