Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many .223 Owners?

Options
  • 08-08-2005 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

I was just wondering, how many of you out their, now have .223s?
    How do you find the caliber, for foxes and target shooting?
    Thanks for any input. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I have used 223s for shooting roos /foxes and they are very effective with head shots- but a bit lacking in punch for anything bigger, We use minimum of .243 for culling goats, I personally use a 270. Have you tried 6.5 swede- a little more recoil but very flat and will cover most game in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Keelan,
    I find my .223 (CZ 527 BRNO) very accurate & not one fox has got up afterwards whether it be a head or body shot, I am using Sako 55gr SP rounds. Price is around €22 for 20 rds.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Thanks Trojan.
    Dis you find getting a permit for it hard? Did it take long?
    Thanks.

No, permit was no problem at all. I went to my dealer traded in my Hornet, collected the paperwork, drove back to the local cop shop, they altered my Hornet license, stamped it and I drove back to my dealer and thirty minutes later I was out zeroing the .223. I reckon I was in the Garda Station for about four mins...

TJ911

Wow :eek: , that was quick service.
    Unlike my area.
    I see by your location that your in Cork some where. They must be getting licenced fairly well their?
    I wonder how many more are licenced without any hassel?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Keelan wrote:
    Wow :eek: , that was quick service.
    Unlike my area.
    I see by your location that your in Cork some where. They must be getting licenced fairly well their?
    I wonder how many more are licenced without any hassel?

Where you applying?

Rew, im in the north west of the country.
    Had no suscess so far trying to ammend my .22 hornet to a .223.
    Iv been told, it gets treated as a fresh appllication and can take a month to prosess :rolleyes:
    Im going to keep trying.

I've heard of that being done in Killarney as well, it does not seem the correct way to go about it. If I can can get it done then why can't you? Is there a different law for certain counties? I don't think so..... Best bet is to look up the Dept of Justice & speak to the firearms licensing section there, they will give you an answer... or NARGC might be able to help.

TJ911...

Thanks TJ 911.
    It should be the same all over the country.
    I will keep trying. One day i should get it. ;)

Advertisement