Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beyond Good and Evil....

Options
  • 08-08-2005 9:46pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Can i get an amen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Amen brother.
    Sing it from the mountaintops!

only £10 over at play.com for the gamecube too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Speaking of which, its a tenner new somewhere.....xtra vision maybe? I remember seeing it recently for 9.99 on the Xbox new....possibly the Xtra Vision sale, which has some very good prices in the larger stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Great game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ten euro from xtra vision on the PS2. Get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hallelujia!!

I want a sequel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's fantastic :D
    Oh... brand new it's 2.98 on Xbox in GAME until the sale is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I got it a while back in a bumper pack thing for the equivalent of 3 or 4 euro. Haven't taken it out and played it yet. Any good? Worth a play?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

grimloch wrote:
    I got it a while back in a bumper pack thing for the equivalent of 3 or 4 euro. Haven't taken it out and played it yet. Any good? Worth a play?
    Worth completing - great game.

When's the sale over kirby?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

An absolute Gem of a game..can't emphasise enough. Really enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

just ordered the cube version from play

you lot are a bad influence

• Advertisement

When's the sale over kirby?
    In about 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Got it brand new day of release for €30 which was a great price for a kick-ass brand new game.

Unfortunately I believe that it sold horribly and plans for a series of BG&E were subsequently scrapped. But yay, we have Medal of Honour 15 and such to play instead :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

TCamen wrote:
    Got it brand new day of release for €30 which was a great price for a kick-ass brand new game.

Unfortunately I believe that it sold horribly and plans for a series of BG&E were subsequently scrapped.
    I too got it while the price was high, but we can't completely blame the gaming public for this one not being successful, after all Ubisoft made the ridiculous mistake of putting this and 2 other fantastic titles out at the same time as games that were advertised......you know, how can you compete with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Yeah BG&E is a great game. Got it for €25 when I was supposed to be looking for a birthday present for a female friend of mine. Had to stop off in Game first. :)

Pity there were no more sequals, but sometimes it's good not to milk something.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yeah... a sequel would have been great especially after that creepy bit right at the end after the credits roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Amen Brother! Great game. Got stuck though so never completed it, then my PS2 blew up, so we'll leave it there. Might get a lend for the GC though...

It's the originality that counts, not the number of explosions on the front cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

the corpo wrote:
    just ordered the cube version from play

you lot are a bad influence
    wats the delivery time like for play.com never bought off them before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

any1 willing to link me to this game?

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    wats the delivery time like for play.com never bought off them before
    anything i've ordered over the weekend has nearly always arrived before friday. so 4-5 working days i suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Love this game. A sequel on the next gens would be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

would it be in stock in all the game stores kirby? Liffey Valley?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I've heard a lot of good things about this game and am tempted to get it.

One thing though, does it play like Zelda? I often hear this comparison and it puts me off as I don't like the Zelda games.

quarryman wrote:
    would it be in stock in all the game stores kirby? Liffey Valley?
    Not sure. Worth a shot though. Think there was one copy in Tallaght on Monday.

Earthhorse wrote:
    I've heard a lot of good things about this game and am tempted to get it.

One thing though, does it play like Zelda? I often hear this comparison and it puts me off as I don't like the Zelda games.
    Hmmm... what exactly is it about the Zelda games that puts you off?

Is it the fantasy setting? Beyond Good and Evil has a fairly good science fiction setting.

They both have similiar combat controls though. Where you lock on to a particular enemy and you can circle around them and strike when you want. Although there is a good bit more stealth required in BG&E and it's well implemented too. You have to sneak around and take photos of specific targets.

They both have a very open ended game world with a number of 'dugeons' that you have to travel to and play through. There are absolutely loads of side quests to do though. There are even boat races to take part in.

The photography element is great. You get paid for taking photos of the various wild life around the planet.

I don't think Zelda and BG&E are hugely similiar though... but I'm a fan of both.

I've actually only played the NES and SNES Zeldas so the combat system is not a concern.

The fantasy setting? Well I don't like the fact that it's cutesy but I wouldn't let that put me off. I just find Zelda unsatisfying.

You walk around with your sword *swish* walk a little further *swish* *swish*. The puzzles are also often obscure with a lot of exploring and experimenting just for the game's sake. At least, that's what I found.

Is BG&E focused? That is, do you basically know what you should be doing most of the time are you just wandering aimlessly in the hopes you'll find the place you're looking for?

Earthhorse wrote:
    I've actually only played the NES and SNES Zeldas so the combat system is not a concern.

The fantasy setting? Well I don't like the fact that it's cutesy but I wouldn't let that put me off. I just find Zelda unsatisfying.

You walk around with your sword *swish* walk a little further *swish* *swish*. The puzzles are also often obscure with a lot of exploring and experimenting just for the game's sake. At least, that's what I found.

Is BG&E focused? That is, do you basically know what you should be doing most of the time are you just wandering aimlessly in the hopes you'll find the place you're looking for?
    Oh.. I'd say it's alot more focused alright. Although if you only concentrate on the main tasks you will be finished with the game fairly quickly as there are really only 3 major dungeons in the whole game.

You will be forced into doing some of the side quests though as collecting pearls is essential to upgrading your hover craft, and you need the upgrades to get to previously inaccessible areas.

The last level has a very Zeldaesque mirror type puzzle though, but it doesn't take too long to figure out.

Earthhorse wrote:
    well the main zelda comparisons between BG&E and zelda that i'd make would be in the gameplay styles.
    when people compare it zelda, they're talking about the 2 n64 games and the wind waker, not the old top down incarnations.
    for the sake of spending somewhere between €3 and €15, you're missing out on one of the greatest games from this generation of consoles.
    just make sure you get a console version of the game - the controls don't lend themselves well to the pc (i had to rebuy the game for the cube)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Yeah, it's focused. It's nothing like the NES/SNES versions of Zelda IMO.

Should be picking up my GameCube this week (figured I'd get it while it's cheap). Ikaruga and Monkey Ball are waiting to be played but this is going straight to the top of the list for my next order.

Thanks for the info guys.

• Advertisement

Earthhorse wrote:
    Should be picking up my GameCube this week (figured I'd get it while it's cheap). Ikaruga and Monkey Ball are waiting to be played but this is going straight to the top of the list for my next order.

Thanks for the info guys.
    geddin!
    heh. gotta love play and their 2 for 20 deals... that'd push the price up by a penny :p

Advertisement