Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anybody watched Rip off Republic on RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭JJDoherty

iregk wrote:
    While I agree with a lot of points here in that comparisons are rather subjective the underlying point still remains. For many things we are ripped off we are paying over the odds. But its not the government or the publican who is to blame. We say that and blame them because we live in a country and time when you just don’t take blame on yourself for anything. You see a wet floor in the supermarket and fall you don’t get up and say, ah crap why didn't I walk around it, you say oh im bringing legal action it was someone else’s fault....

Its time we all woke up and took the blame ourselves because we are the ones to blame. Inflation and market prices are not driven by business, they are driven by us. The price of a pint is expensive but that’s because we have no problem paying it! Whatever we are willing to pay is what gets charged. House prices are unreal, but hey didn't stop any of us queuing up for hours to put a deposit down on a 300k shoe box.

If we all refused to pay for a pint or a house the sellers have two options. Lower the price to get the business back or fold due to lack of business. Its our call, its up to us do we want to continue to pay €5 a pint or refuse and get the price back down to €3?
    Have to agree totally. A simple choice, we may not vote in our elections and some will say that is understandable considering that our politicians seems completely uninterested in the daily battle we face as consumers but we can vote with our feet, so to speak. Complaining, pointing out misleading pricing and stating that we are not prepared to pay when the price is a rip off is always a good thing. Whatever chance we have of changing things by doing this we have absolutely no chance by saying nothing and taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

seen it for the first time there the other night a lot of interesting facts
    eddie hobbs is the right man for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Agreed - he's a great host.

Regarding the film cost-analysis, it was the picking out of a single product that irritated me, as well as just a couple of others. I mean we could all do that - pick out cheaper items from other countries. Going soley on the information in this programme, this comparision was just useless. A Rip-Off South Africa could be made, with cheap items in Ireland plucked out for comparison with pricey SA ones.
    Such macro analysis doesn't make sense.

In relation to the the Helix and RTÉ - I'm well aware as to how RTÉ commission programmes thanks rondjon :).
    Either this programme was suggested by RTÉ's Independent Production Unit in their brief of programme types wanted issued to prod companies every year (or more often), or the prod company came to RTÉ with the idea.

Either way, the vast vast majority use RTÉ facilities for productions - some you wouldn't even consider being independent like Open House, The Afternoon Show, The Big Bite, some New Years Eve prods etc etc. This has always been common practice till the Helix opened.

Now fair enough, the use of the venue for You're a Star is of course acceptable - but for Rip-off Republic?!!
    Watching this production, the vast majority of the vewing audience will have no idea that this was shot outside of a television studio (except for the poor lighting).
    The only reason you should be using an outside venue is if you want a unique theatre-like setting for your production (which this doesn't have), or you want to fit in a large crowd (which this doesn't have). Indeed RTÉ's Studio 4 is capable of holding up to 300 people - I doubt there's even 200 in the Helix.

The Helix is state of the art, but so are RTÉ's facilities rondjon - they are not poor at all. RTÉ is probably paying 50% for this programme, public money that is going to a private operator, and secondly money that could be going into RTÉ's coffers for their facilites.

Unless a distinctive theatre setting is required for a television production, independent companies entering into contract with RTÉ ought to be required to use RTÉ's studio facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Telef&#237 wrote: »
    The only reason you should be using an outside venue is if you want a unique theatre-like setting for your production (which this doesn't have), or you want to fit in a large crowd (which this doesn't have). Indeed RTÉ's Studio 4 is capable of holding up to 300 people - I doubt there's even 200 in the Helix.

The Helix is state of the art, but so are RTÉ's facilities rondjon - they are not poor at all. RTÉ is probably paying 50% for this programme, public money that is going to a private operator, and secondly money that could be going into RTÉ's coffers for their facilites.

Unless a distinctive theatre setting is required for a television production, independent companies entering into contract with RTÉ ought to be required to use RTÉ's studio facilities.

As you rightly point out he's an affable host, and with his ratings RTE are doing well out of it as well. Everyone's a winner . :p

BTW The Helix is a bit bigger than you think.
    http://www.helix.ie/aboutthehelix.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

rondjon wrote:
    Whether SA is a developing country or not, the economics of this are simple. We're paying 4 times more for an item, just because we are living in Ireland.
    Since when is 'market pricing' a rip-off? Any business with half-a-brain will charge the highest price that the market will bear. Wouldn't you do the same?

How do you negotiate your salary? Have you ever said to your employer 'I think you're paying me too much - why don't you cut my salary by x%'. That's what you're expecting the film sellers to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Thanks for the Helix link is that so. I presume they're using 'The Theatre' that was used for the Dunphy Show too.
    As far as I know they're not using the balcony for obvious reasons, so this brings the capacity down to about 250 - RTÉ can easily accommodate this number AND make it look more impressive in a studio's controlled environment.

The raked seating of Studio 4 can look fantastic at full capacity of 300, or even 250.
    (The Late Late always just uses the 200)

To me with some experience of television presentation this production looks like an outside broadcast - the lighting isn't nearly as controlled as it would be in a studio, and is too harsh on stage and too muted on the audience.
    And the cameras are positioned at a distance as is always the case in theatre settings, resulting in boring telephoted shots and jerky movements.

Production values are being compromised for the supposed kudos of the programme coming from a trendy location rather than musty old RTÉ - this is the increasingly prevalent view amongst programme makers and its just silly.
    It's the lack of decent set budgets it seems that is making the Television Centre less attractive in place of more turn-key architectural places like the Helix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

rondjon wrote:
    Technically, RTE didn't commission this show. The production company came up with the idea (they do Show me the Money as well), and then pitched the show to RTE to see if they'd pay for it.

So, wasn't even RTEs idea in the first place.

What do you think commision means then?
    Telef&#237 wrote: »
    Production values are being compromised for the supposed kudos of the programme coming from a trendy location rather than musty old RTÉ - this is the increasingly prevalent view amongst programme makers and its just silly.
    Kudos for who? I think it really comes down to cost. Union rates in RTE are very expensive and very limited when it comes to working hours. The musty element is not location but the people AFIK. The high production values of RTE aren't high either IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

What do you think commision means then?

My interpretation of commission was that they'd come up with the idea and pay someone else to make it.

Rather than in this case where someone else came up with the idea and pitched it to RTE.

rondjon wrote:
    My interpretation of commission was that they'd come up with the idea and pay someone else to make it.

Rather than in this case where someone else came up with the idea and pitched it to RTE.

Well you can also pitch and idea of your own and RTE can commision it or not. You can then use RTE production or not .There are lots of differernt ways to produce programs.

http://www.allwords.com/query.php?SearchType=3&Keyword=commission

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

daveirl wrote:

Not a notion (obviously!!), oh wise one!!!

Please enlighten me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

rondjon its quite simple. In business your in it to make money. Not to change the world, to make money. If im selling my car, i price it at 7k, i hear someone is willing to pay, not wants to pay you understand but willing to pay, 9k, i will up the price to 9k and sell it to him.

If it doesn't make a difference where an item is being sold I paid £4.50 for a pint in home on leicester square a few weeks back. Translate that to Dublin prices does this mean we have it easy? It does make a difference. Its all relative. Yes its great to go to a greek island and pay €2 a pint during the summer but you can bet anything that the chap pulling that pint isn't earning half of what an irish barman would.

Its all relative and driven by us. Basic economics, charge what ever price people are willing to pay. Maximise revenue from minimal sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

iregk wrote:
    If it doesn't make a difference where an item is being sold I paid £4.50 for a pint in home on leicester square a few weeks back. Translate that to Dublin prices does this mean we have it easy? It does make a difference. Its all relative. Yes its great to go to a greek island and pay €2 a pint during the summer but you can bet anything that the chap pulling that pint isn't earning half of what an irish barman would.

And how much is a pint of Guinness in JD Wetherspoon a 100 yds up the steet from Leicester Square - sub £2.

In every pub in Baggot street, a pint of Guinness is exactly the same. The problem has always been the same in Ireland - competition and that's the issue that's been highlighted in Rip Off Republic.

Tazz T wrote:
    competition and that's the issue that's been highlighted in Rip Off Republic.

It wasn't highlighted in Rip Off Republic a particular view of the figures was given. It could also be said that the market price is what is paid. A bias view is a bias view regardless.

Tazz T wrote:
    In every pub in Baggot street, a pint of Guinness is exactly the same. The problem has always been the same in Ireland - competition and that's the issue that's been highlighted in Rip Off Republic.

Yeah I agree with you, competition is one of the huge problems. Dont like the price on baggot street though go somewhere else or dont pay it! simple as that. If we all didn't pay the price do you think all the pubs would stay the same or lower the price?

Exactly daveirl good call. You could alternatively drink bavaria larger, thats cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

iregk wrote:
    Exactly daveirl good call. You could alternatively drink bavaria larger, thats cheap!

You could but would any self-respecting beer drinker be caught with a can of Bavaria in his hands. :D uggh :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I bought 2 cans of Bavaria 8.6 which is a good strong pint of beer 7.2%.
    lovely stuff not like Tennants special brew or any of that wino style muck.not too sweet either .....hic

Not sure honestly never tasted it. Only noticed its getting very popular on draught in a lot of pubs now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

esperanza wrote:
    I too am at odds in understanding why so many Irish people think it's wrong to shop around. Snobbery? Or perhaps us being Catholic (over 90%) has something to do with it. The French are also less price-conscious (also a Catholic majority) than the Germans (almost 50% catholic/protestant) or the British for example. Protestants have an apathy for hierarchical structures and favour social mobility. (If you spend less on the basic necessities, you can spend more on education and career development thus changing your social class). Whereas there is generally less social mobility in Irish social classes, Catholics tend to be more traditional and not eager to change the status quo. What do you think?

Rather than saying the Irish are lazy, I would call them conventional, they prefer to stick to the tried and tested instead of trying something new.
    Instead of saying the Irish being "catholics" and the French being "catholics" don't shop around, how about "the Irish & French don't shop around"
    Being catholic is an utter co-incidence.
    The British & Germans are/were potential world leaders, based on their nature (hence WW1 & WW2) and demand efficiency.
    Have the French ever known to be very successful or efficient? And we, being Irish, don't hardly register on a worldwide scale.
    It's not as if the Vatican (or Jesus) prevents us from changing, it's our own national traits.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

Am I the only one who can't stand that show? I only watched it for a bit and just couldn't take in anything he was saying, just found it completely boring. I hate the format, it mostly involved Eddie standing on a stage talking as if he's learnt it off by heart. I don't find him at all entertaining. Like some sort of game show host except he just keeps talking.

Anything that gets discussion going is good I guess. Even though sometimes when I see the stuff people buy and the fortunes that are spent on all sorts of crap I think no wonder prices are high - people pay it.

I'm sure there are real rip offs too where people can't shop around . . .like the food in Dublin airport for instance. If I feel I'm being ripped off I refuse to buy it if at all possible and if I get half a chance I complain like mad and hope someone somewhere gets the message. There's no concept of fair pricing in this country and so the only way is for people not to be perceived as pushovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i hate the rip offs here, i find im buying things off the net so that i can save a few hundred.
    Another show on tonight, although im fed up with him, i always find it interesting to find out some info.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

annR wrote:
    I'm sure there are real rip offs too where people can't shop around . . .like the food in Dublin airport for instance.
    True, expect to pay up to €14 for a self-service full irish brekkie plus toast and OJ at Nude.

And now that the food hall is moving airside (what genius came up with that?) all the restuarants customer numbers will go down as only people actully flying will be able to use their services, so expect the prices to go up again.

Oh, and don't expect any real cutlery either, since you'll have already been gone through the security check.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

How come Guinness products are never on offer in the shops ? We can get Heineken on offer, Warsteiner etc but never Guinness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

And now that the food hall is moving airside (what genius came up with that?) all the restuarants customer numbers will go down as only people actully flying will be able to use their services, so expect the prices to go up again.
    Sounds like a great idea to have some decent eating facilities airside - Then I don't have to worry about possible delays with security. I doubt if there are huge numbers of non-passengers eating in the airport restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

RainyDay wrote:
    Sounds like a great idea to have some decent eating facilities airside - Then I don't have to worry about possible delays with security. I doubt if there are huge numbers of non-passengers eating in the airport restaurants.
    Yeah but, no but, yeah but.

Even if 10% of the customers in the current food hall aren't flying, that's still a drop of 10%.

But personally, I really wouldn't like to eat my overpriced breakfast with plastic knives and forks.

At least the D.A.A. took the Euro coin thingy off the trolleys. That was insane.

• Advertisement

Hows this for a rip off. Heading to Lanzarote three weeks back and had a bit of time so went to the food hall in the airport. Wanted to get a full irish but dont like mushrooms or pudding so I asked the guy can you keep those and give me an extra sasauge instead. No was his answer. Alread that breakfast was 8.50, so I made it up on my own, i just fine, give me 3 sasauges, two rasher, egg, beans, tea and toast. 11.50 it came to!!!!

I refused to pay it as I was actually saving them money by asking for a sasauge in place of three items in the set but because i had broken the set deal had to pay individually for items. Now 8.50 is robbery anyway but 11.50!!!

Anyway there was war they said i had to pay as its made up now so i refused, manager came out and gave it to me for 8.50. Still robbed! Oh i told him 8.50 was robbery anyway, wasn't impressed to say the least.

Advertisement